It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When People Hear Passages They thought was From The Koran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
This is not a peeing contest about which book is more cringe worthy but have more to do with fundamentalist mindset

Dit Is Normaal decided to test this assumption, and read a few select passages of the Bible to passers-by on the street. People were appalled by the content and had some very critical things to say about its source. The only problem is that they thought they were hearing passages from the Quran.
thedailywhat.cheezburger.com...

For those unable to view the vid sorry not much to go on text, some may say that's O.T but most fundies will run with it. the vid is in German but with English subtitles, I must say I can't remember reading any passage like that, but then again I have never read the Bible cover to cover.
edit on 6-12-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Very cool video

I'd love to see this exact thing occur more often, especially around the bible belt.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Beat you to it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

And this is a blatant "lie" ... because when you are referring to these passages of the bible ... you are talking about the "OLD TESTAMENT". And that's NOT the Bible ... it's selected passages from the Tanakh.

The old testament, is where the "radical" passages are from ... and in fact, many of these are equivalent between Islam and Christianity ... both Islam and Christianity are based upon the Jewish religion. Whereas Christianity, wrote it's own passages ... called the "New Testament" where Jesus is their Messiah, and Islam wrote their own "Quoran", where Mohammed is their Messiah.

And, more to the point ... if you want to "quote" the Old Testament ... you should quote the Tanakh directly, and not read the transcripts you can find in the Christian Bible, or the Quoran. As these are only selected passages, and "translated".

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I think this has more to do with the fact that most people don't understand their own religions.

The things listed here can be found in almost all religions world wide. Fact is these books were written between 1400-3000 years ago. That does NOT include the word of mouth generational story telling that took place long before the establishment of Abrahamic faiths.

These are common themes. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has actually studied Middle Eastern theology in any serious fashion, and would immediately recognize them as such.
edit on -06:00Sun, 06 Dec 2015 05:55:13 -060020156America/Chicago2015-12-06T05:55:13-06:0031vx12 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
One of the main reasons I do not believe any more, is because people kept telling me to read the bible. I did, many times. I read it cover to cover 7 times, and random books hundreds of times.

It scares me how many Christians haven't read the bible. They just listen to their pastor quote certain scripture and so they think they know what the bible says.

I once confronted a fundamentalist Christian who seemed to have serious misgivings on the bible. I told her to go read her bible cover to cover. She told me that the bible was not meant to be read like that.She said the bible is there to find inspiring quotes and stories, but that more in depth reading should be left to those have gone to seminary school and know how to properly interpret the bible.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
It's funny because all the "I know more about Christianity than Christians" set are showing there ignorance

Oh well, expected no more

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn
Most of those versus were new testament and the word of Paul. Especially the ones about women. Paul also thinks women should keep her head covered when in prayer or in church.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

So the bible is incorrect then ?

I mean if the old testament is irrelevant and nothing to do with christianity then why bother including it and calling it the bible ? Why not just remove the OT so there's no confusion, doesn't really seem like "word of God" if there's so much room for confusion and contradiction. Also the entire bible both OT and NT are translated English isn't the original translation of either, so if one has flawed translation the other must too, again not very convincing that it's infact a poorly translated "word of God"

At least muslims take their whole book of god as truth as opposed to christians dismissing the horrifying stuff by saying it's OT it doesn't apply to us

How is a non believer supposed to take christians seriously when they say their book is the word of their god, but only half the book applies to them ?
edit on 6/12/15 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

The best part was when it was established they were both fiction.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Why not ? Christianity and Islam are almost the exact same beliefs and teachings up until the time of Abraham's passing.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Beat you to it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes you did by about an hr + will ask the Mod to direct traffic to your thread...
Hi Mods could you close this one..Mahalo

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Either will do dude
If this is more busy close the other one mods

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Why not ? Christianity and Islam are almost the exact same beliefs and teachings up until the time of Abraham's passing.

Really, care to establish that based on more than your assumption

Any logic or just riding the horse without reins

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Fair is fair tho.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Most of those versus were new testament and the word of Paul. Especially the ones about women. Paul also thinks women should keep her head covered when in prayer or in church.

Paul was writing a letter to a certain group in an area that had some serious issues.

unfortunately, it's about context

Can't tell someone who already knows everything

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The difference is that we know what is Old Testament, and then Christ's message of Love and Kindness. And Helping One Another.

The Islam faith does not differentiate old with new, the earlier was More Peace, and then the later was violence. And they follow that the later rules out the earlier.

It has to do with following the dictates of IMAMs even if you want to live peaceful.

Christians follow the higher laws of human rights and equality. And believe in democracy and freedom, free will.

No theocracy.

Many Christians have read the entire bible, denounced all the violence, only follow Christ or Buddha like footsteps as much as they can, because most really don't attempt to live the straight and narrow.

And then a certain percentage start to notice the metaphors and clues in it and do some research into gnosis, even.

We do not live the old testament, we do not follow any dictates to stone women or kill children who disobey. savvy? We consider that to be error, not following God.
edit on 6-12-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
We do not live the old testament, we do not follow any dictates to stone women or kill children who disobey. savvy? We consider that to be error, not following God.

99.99% of Muslims don't live by the dictates of stoning women or killing children, either, but when anti-Muslims are trying to denounce Islam, they choose the nastiest parts of the Quran to recite to 'prove' their point that Muslims are hateful and violent. If we use the SAME measure, when judging Christianity, we see that it's as "bad" as Islam.

This film illustrates the hypocrisy of those who use the worst parts of the Quran to denounce the Islam, but when faced with this TRUTH, Christians say they don't follow those parts. Well, neither do Muslims. Only radicals use these violent passages to justify their own hatred and bigotry, just as Robert Lewis Dear used his religion to justify shooting up Planned Parenthood.
edit on 12/6/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
Many Christians have read the entire bible, denounced all the violence, only follow Christ or Buddha like footsteps as much as they can, because most really don't attempt to live the straight and narrow.

And then a certain percentage start to notice the metaphors and clues in it and do some research into gnosis, even.

But the bible is the written word of God no ?

How do you denounce the words of your creator by cherry picking only the good parts ?

If you do not live by the Old and New testament combined then you are not living by the word of your God ?

If you consider the OT to be error, then you consider the word of your infallible God to be error which completely destroys your whole belief system ?

With regards to metaphors, why would a God full of wisdom and being all knowing send a message that does not transcend time and instead is open to both differing interpretation depending on what is the "modern" day and also bring doubt about his words (re: Old testament) ?

Surely he would have given his words in the most simplistic way that is not open to interpretation and not carry altered meaning depending on what is the "modern" day ?

I'm not trying to mock your belief, I'm genuinely trying to find some logic behind your belief system when it seems to me so flawed, contradicted and broken if you can cherry pick only parts which apply to certain times and only cherry pick what one considers to be good while ignoring everything else (pretty much half your creators word if you ignore the OT)

And more importantly have you read the original, bible that hasn't been translated and altered throughout the centuries past ? Does the original bible copy even exist ?
edit on 6/12/15 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Gothmog

Really, care to establish that based on more than your assumption

Any logic or just riding the horse without reins

How bout you read them like I have. You could even google it....I guess
Wow ...a doubting Thomas....
Laying that aside , that is common knowledge. You do know the story of Isaac and Ishmael , yes? No I reckon not. You do know who Abraham was , no ? Probably not . Just saying I assumed without any knowledge of the subject matter whatsoever. Just to have something to type in to an empty field

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join