It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goldsmith University Islamist Thugs Fail to Disrupt Speech

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Maryam Namazie spoke on “apostasy, blasphemy and free expression in the age of ISIS” on 30 November 2015 at Goldsmiths University at the invitation of the Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society (ASH).

Goldsmiths Islamic Society (ISOC) called for the talk’s cancellation saying Maryam’s presence is “a violation to [their] safe space,” and that she will “incite hatred and bigotry, at a very sensitive time for Muslims in the light of a huge rise in Islamophobic attacks.”

When the talk went ahead as planned, ISOC “brothers” attended the meeting in order to disrupt and create a climate of fear and intimidation. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ISOC “SISTERS” AND OTHER MUSLIMS ATTENDING DID NOT SUPPORT OR DEFEND THEIR THUGGISH BEHAVIOUR.

Despite the many attempts of the ISOC “brothers,” the meeting ended successfully and raised critical issues, including that criticism of Islam and Islamism are not bigotry against Muslims who are often the first victims of Islamism and on the frontlines of resistance. The meeting also helped expose the Islamists for what they are – thugs who cannot tolerate dissent.

Freedom of expression and the right to criticise and leave Islam without fear and intimidation is a basic human right.

Article

So being stuck between a group of angry Atheists and protesting Islamists isn't really my idea of a fun night out, but what concerns me in the article and the accompanying video is how free speech is increasingly coming under attack on campus. I might not like the message of these secular humanists., but I support their right to discuss their ideas and concerns.

On the flip side, rather than engage in intelligent debate, you have several thugs attempting to disrupt the proceedings and intimidate attendees. Frankly, if I am paying to go to college to learn and expand my mind, I want to have the ability to attend lecturers and discussions I don't necessarily agree with without receiving death threats and being subjected to boorish behavior.

I want to be able to be offended and challenged. One of the great things about ATS is that we can debate and disagree, but at the end of the day most of us are still friends. I feel sorry for today's students that their free speech and even their right to be offended and have their beliefs challenged is being strapped away.

Anyway, this whole thing is just indicative of the sad state of affairs we are dealing with on today's campuses. I feel bad that in an effort to 'feel safe' they are missing out on a chance to learn.

edit on 2015/12/6 by Metallicus because: fixed autocorrect

edit on 2015/12/6 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It has nothing to do with them feeling safe. Safe space is code for stifling speech they don't like. It's been a sad year for free speech and I really hope we can reverse this trend.

S&F because we need more attention brought onto this very troubling behavior.
edit on 12/6/15 by Ksihkehe because: S&F addition

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
It's rather an eye opener to read the comments on their facebook page in reference to this video. That they start a post by saying the speaker is an islamophobic bigot low life, and claim she harassed students, is telling..

and every time a supporter requests to see the video and not just the words of islamophobic racist bigots, and the video is produced, they never reply.

This is a shorter version of the almost 2 hour clip...

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

What is this safe space thing I never heard of it before the southpark episode recently.
Free speech includes criticism. Everyone has a choice to be offended or not but everyone has that right to offend also.
I think they should grow up and either accept others views and address them or stay silent.

Safe space...what a bunch of babies.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul

After watching that video I would have thrown them out after 5 mins.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Bloody el... I think If I was sat at this Meeting, I would have had to slap one or two of them... it would have made me so angry not being able to listen to what was being said.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The male children of Islam are on top. Any change is bad for their position, so they continue to promote the existing structure and mindlessly shout down any who dare to question their authority. Women are merely property and are ruled by the males, as it was in the 7th century when Islam brought order to lawless nomads. The speaker is calling out what is wrong with Islam, which they don't like at all, and the fact that it is coming from a woman makes it doubly damaging to their fragile egos. Islam is a harsh and spiteful religion and needs a Mohammed Luther or a Mecca II to bring it to modern times but that is unlikely given the entrenched good old boys who will prevent that as long as possible.

Maybe GB and other European countries will get smart and start deporting those who cannot accept the laws and practices of the countries that they had begged to enter when they were in distress. If you want Sharia, you may have it. You are no longer a citizen/resident of GB. Your passport has been revoked. We will provide a charter flight to an Islamic country of our choice and you can enjoy the many fruits of your religion for the rest of your days. With or without a head on your shoulders.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Thing is If they want to also live by sharia law that is their choice just as Jewish folk have their own law courts also it is when any religion attempts to trump state law when we should step in and say no.
This includes the right to criticize and question any religion.
Thing is most Muslims in the UK are very moderate and getting more so just like Christians I know.
All just want to bring up their kids in peace and have a laugh.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: pteridine

Thing is If they want to also live by sharia law that is their choice just as Jewish folk have their own law courts also it is when any religion attempts to trump state law when we should step in and say no.
This includes the right to criticize and question any religion.
Thing is most Muslims in the UK are very moderate and getting more so just like Christians I know.
All just want to bring up their kids in peace and have a laugh.

I didn't articulate my response well. I reject the practices of cutting off hands and heads and killing apostates and other violations of the laws of civilisation, in general. Deportation and revocation of citizenship on completion of sentence would be appropriate. The young males seem to feel most entitled and those in the video probably could use good thrashings [and beard shavings.]

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Ksihkehe

What is this safe space thing I never heard of it before the southpark episode recently.
Free speech includes criticism. Everyone has a choice to be offended or not but everyone has that right to offend also.
I think they should grow up and either accept others views and address them or stay silent.

Safe space...what a bunch of babies.

en.wikipedia.org...

"In educational institutions, safe-space (or safe space), safer-space, and positive space are terms used to indicate that a teacher, educational institution or student body does not tolerate perceived anti-LGBT violence, harassment, or hate speech, but rather aims to foster an environment of mutual respect, thereby creating a safe place for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and all students."

Hate speech would include telling a 7-foot guy in a dress and wig with bad makeup that he looks like a drag queen. The idea of "safe space" has been adopted by minority students and then by the Islamists.

top topics

join