It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

NEWS: Felony Charges for Boy In Baseball Bat Abortion

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
A sixteen year old Michigan boy has been charged with "intentional conduct against a pregnancy, or still birth", which is a felony. However, since abortion is legal the girl, who was a willing participant, has not been charged. The boy has been charged under the state's "Prenatal Protection Act of 1999". This law states that only the person that caused the miscarriage can be charged under law, the mother cannot.
 



www.detnews.com
He decided Tuesday to do the only thing one state statute allowed: charge the boyfriend who wielded the bat, hitting his girlfriend in the stomach repeatedly over a two-week period, but let the girl off the hook, uncharged.

The Richmond Township boy, 16, who may be arraigned as early as today in Macomb County Juvenile Court, is at home with his parents. He was charged as a juvenile with intentional conduct against a pregnancy or stillbirth, which is a felony. If convicted, he could remain in custody until age 21.

But the girl, also from Richmond - who was a willing participant in the induced abortion, law enforcement officials say - cannot be charged under that law because it specifically excludes the mother from criminal liability.

In part because it still was legal to abort the fetus, the decision renewed debate over the protection of fetuses and the fairness of charging just one of two juveniles who allegedly agreed to kill their unborn child.


Please visit the link provided for the complete story.


It's a sad story, but this kind of thing no longer shocks me. The parents of neither teens knew about the pregnancy, let alone the decision to abort it. The fetus died from "premature birth due to trauma" and was then buried by the boy with the help of his mother. She must have been let in the loop a little too late.

Detroit civil rights attorney Miranda Massie thinks that neither child should be charged because there's nothing to gain in doing so. "This is a tremendous waste of public resources," says Massie. I myself don't think that they should be let off scot-free.



Related News Links:
www.theoaklandpress.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: California Teen Privacy Law Raises Questions




posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There is much to be gained by charging the "father". Our society cannot continue to exist when people act in the manner he did. This is certainly not someone who should be free to walk the streets. This is a most disgusting act which cannot be excused by some foolish attorney's bizarre statement that there's nothing to be gained by charging the boy.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
.
I am pro-choice. I must say this disturbs me.

If they did this because they couldn't or were afraid to get parental consent it is a strong argument against requiring parental consent for an abortion.
.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Sad that in this time an age our children has to incur in barbaric act like this because they are scare of the result of their actions may seem to society and their families.

But at the same time the lack of education and counseling gave them another undesirable result.

This proved that not matter what, abortion in any type or any way will be seek by those that do not desire a child at the moment.

These are the realities of life and the consequences of our lack of understanding and poor teachings to our young.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
When you think of an assault - you immediately think of someone being attacked, not a willing participant. This combined with the fact that the fetus could be legally aborted in Michigan makes me question of the motives of the people who are charging this kid. From the article:


Legally, the baby could have been aborted. Because the girl was a minor, she would have needed a judge's or parental permission to obtain an abortion.


Given the choice of having to tell her parents these two decided to abort their child themselves. Old enough to have sex, but still young enough to fear their parent's wrath. What if he had caused internal injuries - he would be looking at a manslaughter charge. If there was ever a reason to waive the parental consent laws maybe this is it.




B.



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys


Given the choice of having to tell her parents these two decided to abort their child themselves. Old enough to have sex, but still young enough to fear their parent's wrath. What if he had caused internal injuries - he would be looking at a manslaughter charge. If there was ever a reason to waive the parental consent laws maybe this is it.




B.


The thing is, they didn't have the fear to tell their parents after the deed had been done (and they would have been none-the-wiser). The kids reasoning for doing this wasn't stated in the articles unfortunately. Perhaps it was from fear of social reprecussions at school that they decided to take this horrible "secret" route.

What are abortion laws in Canada, anyone know? Could they have gone to across the Ambassador into Windsor and had it done?



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
There is much to be gained by charging the "father". Our society cannot continue to exist when people act in the manner he did. This is certainly not someone who should be free to walk the streets. This is a most disgusting act which cannot be excused by some foolish attorney's bizarre statement that there's nothing to be gained by charging the boy.


I agree except that they BOTH should be charged. She was a willing participant in the murder of their child. If he's guilty...then she is too. On the other hand....remember being 16? How many unlawful and foolish things did you do/participate in. Retorical question...I don't want to know your skeletons. Not really intended just for CommonSense



posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I was under the impression that only one parent knew after the fact - the boy's mother if I remember correctly - with the others not finding out until the police came calling. And why she is being charged with desecration of a corpse for helping little johnny dispose of the baby is beyond me.

Makes you wonder if the girl hadn't blabbed if anyone would have been the wiser.

B.



posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Sad that in this time an age our children has to incur in barbaric act like this because they are scare of the result of their actions may seem to society and their families.

But at the same time the lack of education and counseling gave them another undesirable result.

This proved that not matter what, abortion in any type or any way will be seek by those that do not desire a child at the moment.

These are the realities of life and the consequences of our lack of understanding and poor teachings to our young.



Agreed. If abortions are made illegal then you can expect more of these home abortions to take place.



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join