It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bean sprouts and pad thai

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Tonight i made some green curry with jasmin rice. It was really good (one of my favorite dishes). But while eating it the wife requested some pad thai tomorrow night. which poses a problem for me.

i've made it before, and she remembers it being really good. but it was about 2 years ago, and in the intervening time our local grocer has stopped carrying frosh bean sprouts. We have 2 grocers, HEB and Wal Mart. I don't brave Wal Mart, so don't know if they have them. But suspect they don't.

I can get canned sprouts, however. Grosses me out to think of it....but figured some folks here might have input/advice/suggestion. Are they edible? Should I figure out a substitute?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
How about a counter offer of a nice crockpot of ham hocks & pinto beans, with some warm freshly baked cornbread?

Other than that, I got nothing

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Can't help you for tomorrow, but in the future?

You can buy the seeds on Amazon!

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Jasmin rice is my favorite but I have never done pad thai.
Sprouts I use for sandwiches.
I say negotiate for spaghetti and meatballs.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I've bought bean sprouts at Walmart. You can always give them a call.

Pad Thai is one of my favorites, yummmmm.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You could try soybean sprouts or snow peas.
Substitutes for Bean Sprouts

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

on Thursday i made the gorgonzola penne pasta that you get at Carino's. It was pretty good. Exactly like theirs is, anyway.

I could renegotiate. But now that we have talked pad thai, itll need to be something with sesame oil. I've been wanting to make some general tso's...but that is fairly labor intensive.

I think Buster may have the right idea. If Wal Mart doesn't have fresh, anyway. Both stores mostly cater to Texas comfort food, mexican food, and indian food (we have a decent sized indian population considering how far flung we are)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
A substitute would be finely chopped green cabbage.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   

frosh bean sprouts

Only carrying the Seniors now? Because... I bet they sell beans...

Man it seems crazy to me that you can't buy whatever weird little thing if you're willing to drive in a 5 mile radius. No Asian grocers nearby? They have EVERYTHING. It's bizarre to hear that you can't find fresh bean sprouts. Super small town?

My girlfriend and I are pretty normal gender role-wise, but I will ask for directions after a point before she will. Are you SURE they don't have bean sprouts? I'm the kind of guy that asks where the ketchup is if I'm standing in front of it. Are you sure you're not a big fat oblivious furry Texan? Also, some kid the other day told me the grocery store didn't have baking sheets. I asked someone else, and was taken to the baking sheets.

You're a big old softy when it comes to the wife, aren't you!? This thread gave me a big smile.

You've probably got a few years on me, but I don't mind going out of my way to make her smile.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Just turned 43.

The town is pretty small. 25k people, give or take. I could drive 50 miles to a wider variety....but i'm not going to for just a one off sunday meal for 3.

The HEB....i know it as good as the store managers do. Im there daily. Wal Mart....i just don't go. Ill make a trip today, but only to find this product. There is nothing about the store that I like, and it actually depresses me.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Any of the local groceries have a serve yourself salad bar? I've found bean (and alfalfa) sprouts there. If you've never tried the canned sprouts, give them a try. Sometimes I do the La Choy canned chow mein for a quick meal, and the sprouts aren't bad but I've never bought a can of just bean sprouts. If you're cooking them anyway, I don't think canned would be a big deal, but then my palate isn't exactly sophisticated.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
well...have had trouble finding fish sauce today. I know the local HEB carries it frequently. But with holiday purchases they have focused on the hams, turkeys, and prime rib roasts more than the various dry goods. Even had a hard time finding decent pork for my thai (yeah, i know, but i love pork so leave me alone about it). I wanted a tenderloin to slice down, but they haven't had tenderloin in a few weeks. So i am going with thin slicked loin chops. Close enough (although a bit drier and more bland).

But without the fish sauce its just simply sesame pork. So im banking on a friend (sous chef) having some at home.

ETA: RE the veggies...sans the bean sprouts, i just went with untraditional: julienned brocolli, red bell pepper, mushroom, and snow peas.
edit on 12/6/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join