It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Geologists and The Like-Interesting Rock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
So me and the crumb snatchers were out in the back of my house. There is an area where we get some of our drinking water from that also has a few paths that encircle it..for whatever reason the water table was really low so we started exploring...it's what young boys live for. We were looking for colorful rocks and other items when we had come across this very cool rock...was wondering if the ATS community could take a gander and propose a reasonable explanation for the fancy contours within the rock...unfortunately there were no other rocks in the immediate area that had similar characteristics..

It's quite cool....

Regards,
Chris

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Looks almost like a metal fence embedded in a clay rock or a reinforced manmade cement of some kind. Possibly something from when a house was built.

The right angles seem too right angly to me. It could have been a rock that was under a grate or something long ago also, leaving the grid work as it eroded.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'd guess sedimentary sandstone or limestone

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Guess I'm more curious as to how this type of erosion happens...not cement...

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

yeah definitely looks like sedimentary sandstone. If it was by a creek or pond did it have more angular granite/quartzite rubble in the same area something that would compact fairly tightly together and then have sand settle on top of it.

Kinda hard to be positive without seeing the geology of the area.

Is it's composition soft/medium/hard

Is it grainy or more shalelike or something else.

Sorry for all the questions just trying to pin it down.

ETA:
if you could give a general region where you found it would help. I want to guess American Southwest for some reason.
edit on 12/5/2015 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It is just a guess on my part but my best speculation would be that it was larger at one time and went through a crusher. Those marks don't appear to me to be weathering even though they are weathered. The fracture patterns seem too strange to be natural.
Are there graveled roads nearby? Perhaps old, abandoned road? A place where gravel might have dumped for some reason. Is your water source a creek? If so, it could have washed from its original site many years ago.
Cool rock!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
look up sand roses on the internet. tried to post a pic of mine, but my phone wouldn't do it. all my sand roses came from beaches. they are stones made from accretions of sand. the bizarre edges aren't from weathering, it has to do with how they form. i think it's similar to a crystalline structure, but i'm not sure. cool find!!! all mine are a smoky grey, and smaller, but most have the edging all the way around.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
here's a link. it's similar to yours, but different. it looks like the texture is different, but it's hard to tell from a pic. does the rock have a sandpapery texture?

www.fossilsplus.com...(MIDSR104)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

massachusetts..i will take a pic of the location later

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: anotheramethyst

Yes smooth sandpaper like feel..

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

massachusetts..i will take a pic of the location later

Hmm way off on my guess. Thanks and yes I'd like to see those pics when you get a chance.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I will post them later this afternoon when we get back...thanks ATS and thanks Kukri

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

the location of where I pulled the rock out of the dirt...more than half way in the dirt...

edit on 7-12-2015 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

closer look

top topics

join