It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who thinks they could build a Shagohod

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
who thinks they could build a Shagohod its not a mech if You guys dont know what it is just ask.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
i can, i already have one in my room.
so what is it then?? im not sure what a mech or shagohod is

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

thats it.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Nothing more than a sort of basic metal gear , but then again that kind of thing would be vunerable since it just fires missiles.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
remind us why this has anything to do with a conspiracy or anything that remotely relates to ATS?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
it has something to do you never know if they could ever make one its just plain mysterious and it doesn`t just fire nukes(launch nukes all around the world) also uses 2-3 different heavy machine guns.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
remind us why this has anything to do with a conspiracy or anything that remotely relates to ATS?

It technically is a weapon type, mech, which has a place and a time.
You dont need a conspiricy to be on ATS, its more than just a mere conspiricy site.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I remember Metal Gear Solid. Was my second game on PS1, I believe. Still remember how Snake said "Metal Gear!" Ha! I thought the was hilarious. Anyways, something along the lines of Metal Gear will be needed once ballistic defense shield come out. Won't be able to just lunch an ICBM anymore and expect it to hit its intended target. You'll need to be closer when launching and you'll need to keep the warhead in the air for a very short period of time (no space flight) in order for it to arrive on target without being destroyed.

Of course that's just speculation, but I feel it is also obvious. I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't already have a "Metal Gear" type deal. Of course, we could always use aircraft to drop nuclear weapons if ballistic defense shields come about, but the military always want a backup plan. Metal Gear sounds like it might just be in the playbook already.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
well the whole idea is plausible just not feasible the prospect of a walking tank as it were would be quite expensive to make work properly as it would probably need gyroscopes, sensor of all kinds and immensly complicated systems to organize and produce proper walking movements. The human body is self regenerating as well and any machine that reproduces walking will naturaly need some typ of self repair system otherwise the mere wlaking alone could destroy the machine not to mention it would take incredible armour to make it a plausible weapon of war otherwise the first tank to shoot at it would destroy it or fatally wound it. It is inherantly nowhere near as stable as a vehicle with wheels and would need some sophisticated recoil technology just to remain standing.
Overall its a cool idea but i think that technology has a long ways to go before this is a useful idea. I have thought about this very idea for a very long time though since i was first introduced to lego as a young boy and have been thinking about solutions to the problems. the only problem is that every idea i come up with is easily beaten by common sense and cost effective measures. Like they say though for every 1000 000 dollar problem theres a 5 dollar solution.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This problem comes down to one of weight. I'd say Masamune Shirow's mecha are the most plausible-looking, but the triad of armor/density/weight makes it impossible given current materials.

You'd need some type of metal that is as light as styrofoam, flexible as human bone, and armored like a crystalline structures. How does one plasticize a diamond? You can't scale an elephant upward because it's legs become unable to supoort the weight.

How would you design metal legs to replace the treads of an Abrams tank? Would this mecha-Abrams be able to move laterally or just jog forward and backward?

In the end, if human-zed mecha are realized it'll be due to a doll-like fascination of man to see its reflction in its machines. Has evolution determined that the upright-bipedal machine is the best one? Hmmm...

sp

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I can't even begin to understand what a machine like that would do for a military, especially given the obvious technical problems and expense that would be involved.
It's a great big tank and aircraft magnet with insufficient defense against tanks and aircraft, and when it inevitably gets blow up it's very very bad for your military budget. Not that it was doing anything for your military to begin with. It's just a SAM battery, a few machine guns, and a nuke all tied together with a lot of expensive armor.

There's no such thing as a stupid question I'm told, but I just wish this question were pointed a little better, in terms of what aspect of the shagohod you think presents a challenge, and what benefit that technology would hold.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It would still be suceptible to capture by the way the rebels in starwars take out the walkers with a simple cable now honestly whats the point of building a multi billion dollar machine whe the enemy has to use minimal money in a steel cord to capture and reverse engineer the thing it might just be a tragic misuse of money and effort. But if super heavy materials and lasers and emp becomes a widely used form of warfare it would triple redundant to build this thing unless it had rockets to fly and sheilds and all kinds of things by the time youd be done cramming all this stuff into it to make it work it would be so damn heavy the legs would probably not function anyway.

All in all its a cool idea though. Metal gears solid rocked i want the new one.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
okay not to be mean or anything but # the shagohod is not a mech/mecha its just a tank from metal gear solid 3 snake eater and it can go over 300 hundred miles an hour ok guys thats fast for a 1.5 million ton tank.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
i have proved my ignorance!

Didn't even think to actually look on the site

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
sorry i'll put the picture together in a minute

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Earlier somebody mentioned that you can't "scale up" an elephant because the legs wouldn't support it. The same thing could still apply to a tracked or wheeled vehicle. Isn't it theoretically possible that moving something that size over rough terrain would require so much torque that it would simply rip any propulsion system to pieces?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thats true I am only trying to prove 2 things that they could make one someday and thats its not a mech.

Odd

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffin master
okay not to be mean or anything but # the shagohod is not a mech/mecha its just a tank from metal gear solid 3 snake eater and it can go over 300 hundred miles an hour ok guys thats fast for a 1.5 million ton tank.

according to the site you gave, the tank's maximum speed is 80KPH... you could outrun it in a Honda Civic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join