It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Sues Puerto Rico Over ‘Astonishing’ Tax Increases

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Every one of those corporations can afford that tax increase. The reason they say they can't is because they are unwilling to take a cut in their profits to do it. Even though their profits are in the billions of dollars. This tax won't break them. It won't make them shut down because they can't afford it. They will cut jobs, salaries, benefits, quality control, basically everything but their own profit because enough is never enough.

The other problem is the corrupt government who is taking those taxes and also not using them effectively however. This is why "the people" always suffer. There is no problem in taxing those businesses more but when it's one corrupt entity taxing another it still won't ever get to the people so it does no good.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: dragonridr

Good for PR. Walmart gets enough corporate welfare.

And if Walmart leaves there, no great loss. They will survive.

Ok you hate Walmart I get that but one they offer employment in an area index prays need of it. But it won't only be Walmart it will be companies like starbucks, goodyear, walgreens, kmart, cosco, lowes, homedepot, McDonalds, apple stores and by now you should be getting the picture though I can keep going. These corporations being taxed they will leave the expenses of maintaining these stores is already high. And think what happens to the people there when 10s of thousands of jobs disapear.

And I get that you're good with these companies paying little to no taxes because they create # jobs. If they went away the void would be filled again locally. The jobs won't go away. That's a myth.

These companies actually pay federal taxes unlike many businesses in PR. So they already pay more in taxes then a local bisiness. This just makes it even harder to compete in PR 4.5 percent tax is a lot when it only applies to corporations. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if your state raised your sales tax by 4.5 percent. You would be mad but it's ok if someone else has to pay it your ok with that. But these companies only have two choices pass it along to consumers or close the stores. In both classes they eventually will have the same results. If they pass it along sales decrease stores start taking losses and leave.

Walmart should have no problem winning the suit it is an unfair tax levied on us corporations.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Never given them a dime. Never will. Destroyers of US small (and even medium sized) business. Part of the consntantly breaking cheap-junk problem. Wiping out old town landscapes. Horrible employee track records, etc. etc. Glad to see anyone that stands up to them. It's rare.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

That has nothing to do with my statement.

But speaking of medical, American taxpayers spend about $1.5B a year on Walmart employee who don't make enough to live on. And that's not including that they also pay virtually nothing in corporate taxes.

Yeah but go ahead and let six people keep hoarding more money than they could ever possibly need. Those six people have more money than the bottom 31% of all other Americans.

PR can survive without Walmart. We all can. And we'd all be better off.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

You sure about that?

Wal-Mart Has $76 Billion in Undisclosed Overseas Tax Havens

Walmart Subsidy Watch
edit on 12/5/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

My brother works for the government has been working for the last 30 years, he lost half of his retirement due to the Island falling into bankruptcy, that is why he is now moving to Florida.

My sister works for the healthcare system, she said that most of the people that are getting free healthcare are not even Puertorricans citizens they come from the neighboring Islands with fake IDs and the health care workers are not allowed to challenged them.

The drug problem and trafficking is out of control as the police is all in their pockets even the US agencies in the Island trying to help said that all the get is road blocks from the local agencies.

My husband lost his nephew only 22 to gang style assassination, the killer was never identified even when he was killed in a ball park in front of a lot of people.

My own nephew have to leave the Island and come to the US because he had a price on his head, this is how most of the young people unemployed are falling into drugs and gangs.

Now they want to drive away the only stores that can offer income to some.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
But these companies only have two choices pass it along to consumers or close the stores. In both classes they eventually will have the same results. If they pass it along sales decrease stores start taking losses and leave.

Walmart should have no problem winning the suit it is an unfair tax levied on us corporations.

No, they can take a loss of their profits. They'll still be making a profit, just not as much as they did previously. It's not going to put them into the red. Just a few less zeros in their profit that's all.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I am sure that big stores and corporations can afford to pay more taxes, but PR can not afford to lose them and the income they generate.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

You sure about that?

Wal-Mart Has $76 Billion in Undisclosed Overseas Tax Havens

Walmart Subsidy Watch

It surprises you international retailers would rather pay taxes in other countries then the US. Your proving my point raise taxes retailers leave. By the way every major company once they open up stores internationaly will have several subsidiaries in different countries. The article is misleading because they want to say taxes are being avoided they aren't. They still pay taxes just not to the US however they still pay taxes to the US even from these subsidiaries just not as high.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

What does PR debt have to do with US debt? Your the one who said this -

You mean like the US government is doing?

Care to explain?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

My brother works for the government has been working for the last 30 years, he lost half of his retirement due to the Island falling into bankruptcy, that is why he is now moving to Florida.

My sister works for the healthcare system, she said that most of the people that are getting free healthcare are not even Puertorricans citizens they come from the neighboring Islands with fake IDs and the health care workers are not allowed to challenged them.

The drug problem and trafficking is out of control as the police is all in their pockets even the US agencies in the Island trying to help said that all the get is road blocks from the local agencies.

My husband lost his nephew only 22 to gang style assassination, the killer was never identified even when he was killed in a ball park in front of a lot of people.

My own nephew have to leave the Island and come to the US because he had a price on his head, this is how most of the young people unemployed are falling into drugs and gangs.

Now they want to drive away the only stores that can offer income to some.

Sounds a lot like what we have happening in the US doesn't it?

To who's benefit is all this suffering going to?

The greedier these corporations are getting and how the governments are catering to them is making me feel not so good about Capitalism, when it seems to only help the Multi Nationals.....

Be that as it may, it is just one major problem along with a dozen or so more that is making this world a prison planet...

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

They don't have to lose them. If they are so good at generating income for PR then they shouldn't have a problem paying a little extra in taxes.

But if the Government is corrupt it won't matter anyway because that is just one corrupt institution robbing another and the people won't see any of it anyway.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

It does.. You falsely claimed jobs dont really go away. I pointed out the medical companies that left PR. They never recovered the jobs that left. If you are going to make a claim you should remember what you said instead of trying to change the topic when your called out and proven wrong.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You nail it, the problem is corruption, the government doesn't know how to budget without gouging the working class in the Island and going after the retailers, just like they did to the manufacturers 25 years ago, and what they did, they left the Island.

edit on 5-12-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

If Walmart goes away there will still be a need for the goods they provide and someone else will fill the void, be that local businesses or another store.

They need us more than we need them.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So, is this the start of the TPP being used?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

If they are so troubled, let them complain about the tax rates in the country, instead of complaining about import taxes. If it was less taxing to manufacture goods here, the economy would be a lot better.

Walmart isn't good for much, anyway. We purchase very little there.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

What kind of thinking allows a thread to come out of a computer to blame Walmart when the obvious blame for the territory's debt is entirely with the administrators of that territory? Oh, wait. That situation is simply a copy of the US federal spending methods. Spend. Spend. And they looking for some person or entity to pay the bills. Insane on several levels.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

What kind of thinking allows a thread to come out of a computer to blame Walmart when the obvious blame for the territory's debt is entirely with the administrators of that territory? Oh, wait. That situation is simply a copy of the US federal spending methods. Spend. Spend. And they looking for some person or entity to pay the bills. Insane on several levels.

This is extreme though PR gdp is 103 billion a year. Even Hawaii is only 63 billion. The problem is PR has no taxes for citizens they have been relying on tourists and us businesses for their income both are taxed heavily. Through in all the stuff the govt have away to get votes and they are deep in debt. Their solution again try to make more money off us businesses. They tried this before with manufacturing it's gone now. Now they will chase off retailers and then they will tax the tourists some more until they stop coming.

They need to address their unemployment look into govt corruption and by all means stop selling tax free bonds no other state can do this. But it allows investors to hide money from us taxe. All the while allowing PR to continue to borrow to pay their bills.IF the us govt started charging taxes on their bonds the whole islands economy would collapse.
edit on 12/5/15 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Its a bit different. What does the US have to do with PR issues?

1) PR is a US terratoty.

2) the USA government is doing a similar thing in reckless spending.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join