It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Secession Passes State Republican Party Resolutions Committee Vote

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
a reply to: TrueAmerican

If they do, I will move to Texas and join their defense forces!

2nd

Whats stopping you from leaving the country now. Big exit signs everywhere you look. By all means hit the road
edit on 5-12-2015 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Texas. The only State that may be an individual Republic anyway. The only State that , in modern day, had to be declared a State by the Supreme Court. But even then it was declared Texas could regain its independent Republic status by succession .

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Now, if Texas came to a point where secession was a serious possibility... would any bordering states consider abandoning the Union and creating an alternative union with Texas?

Legal frameworks only work when they're enforced. What happens when a state decides to stick two fingers up to Washington and throw their lot in with Austin?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I was looking around for info, and the short answer is no, states cannot secede. Other references say every one of the other states must agree, and congress must agree, then there would be a judgment by the Supreme Court, which would almost certainly be no.

The government can, however break up a state. The only states mentioning this in the last decade or so, are Texas and Hawaii. Texas has enough territory that it could indeed be divided into two or more states.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Are you people kidding me? Texas already seceded. It's a moot point. In case you haven't noticed, it's now northern Mexico.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
If Texas secedes, the US will declare them of having WMDs, invade and take their oil.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm a native born Texas resident of more than 59 yrs and all I can say is, this is NUTS!!!

We're in bad political shape down here right now because of gerrymandering and a recent influx of neo-conservative, Bible thumping, right-wing lunatics into our legislature.

I might add that our state is also one of the largest contributors of lunatic right-wing representatives at the federal level as well.

All I can say is, those of you who support building the Great Trump Wall may want to hold off on your planning for a while. It may turn out to be quite a bit longer than first thought.

Not that I think the citizens of Texas would ever allow this to happen, but if it did, I'd be moving out right away.

edit on 5-12-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32
If you want out of the united states. Then by all means, good bye and good riddance to traitors.

Considering LINCOLN violated the constitution by refusing to let the south leave AT THE TIME it was legal for them to do so according to the constitution. SO it was actually LINCOLN and th enorth who were traitors to their nation.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

If you want out of the united states. Then by all means, good bye and good riddance to traitors.

Considering LINCOLN violated the constitution by refusing to let the south leave AT THE TIME it was legal for them to do so according to the constitution. SO it was actually LINCOLN and th enorth who were traitors to their nation.

They had a war to settle that. Dont live in the past

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Teh WAR was ILLEGAL THOUGH. SC had th eright to LEAVE but the NORTH didnt want to lose its cash cow. Google lincolns constituitional violations. THAT was before it was "settled" teh US government has been un constituitional since lincoln.

lincolns lawbreaking

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Teh WAR was ILLEGAL THOUGH. SC had th eright to LEAVE but the NORTH didnt want to lose its cash cow. Google lincolns constituitional violations. THAT was before it was "settled" teh US government has been un constituitional since lincoln.

lincolns lawbreaking

So what exactly are you arguing? You dont like the outcome of the civil war? Or you are the supreme authority over what was and wasnt constitutuional. Fact is we had a civil war. Second fact is the north won. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

We're in bad political shape down here right now because of gerrymandering and a recent influx of neo-conservative, Bible thumping, right-wing lunatics into our legislature.

I might add that our state is also one of the largest contributors of lunatic right-wing representatives at the federal level as well.

You thought perhaps we hadn't noticed?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
If Texas secedes, the US will declare them of having WMDs, invade and take their oil.

We do have weapons of mass destruction!

Our state legislature is currently dominated by WMDs, also known as Republicans and they're precisely why this initiative was proposed to begin with.

They're attempting to destroy an entire state with a single action right now for pete's sake.

IMO, the modern day Republican Party poses a larger threat to the American way of life than any single "WMD" or any terrorist group on the planet.

Just because they don't use bullets & bombs to get their way doesn't mean the don't have the potential to cause mass destruction.

Wake up!

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

lincolns lawbreaking

So what exactly are you arguing? You dont like the outcome of the civil war? Or you are the supreme authority over what was and wasnt constitutuional. Fact is we had a civil war. Second fact is the north won. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Im arguing that SINCE lincoln broke th elaw to have the war he became a rogue president and as such should had been impeached,and all his presidential decisions during the war be labeled not legal as well because they were mad e by him and not constituitionally sound.(except the freeing of the slaves. that was a good move. still dont excuse his other actions though)
His Supreme court was also appointed by him and set precedent by allowing him to pass another amendment that restricted a state leaving. Also the senate an dcongress passed a law as well without th efull body present. Illegal to do.
The man was anything but honest.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

You thought perhaps we hadn't noticed?

No, you'd have to be sticking you head in the sand not to see it.

Just wish we had a cure.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

For what's worth my state needs a cure too.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: Klassified
Instead of posturing, why doesn't Texas get other states involved and collectively file a general grievance with the Federal government?

If I remember correctly a few years back, Texas threatened to remove TSA from it's airports and go back to private contractors after some highly publicized groping incidents. Feds basically said you do that and no commercial aircraft will be allowed to fly from or to the state of Texas. They (Texas) backed down.. Moral of the story ?

Great point. Which is exactly why Texas needs a consensus of states to come together on a mutual list of grievances. Secession isn't going to happen, but a large enough group of states can get something done.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

Now, if Texas came to a point where secession was a serious possibility... would any bordering states consider abandoning the Union and creating an alternative union with Texas?

Legal frameworks only work when they're enforced. What happens when a state decides to stick two fingers up to Washington and throw their lot in with Austin?

I'm a born and bred Texan, still own property in the panhandle and chose to live in a state bordering Texas, NM. We would never Join a break away union with Texas. That would just be plain stupid. The Republicans pushing for secession know full well it's impossible. A clear cut case of "All Hat, no cattle"

I feel blessed that I don't have to live in Texas and put up with that Conservative, Right Wing, Christian BS. That's why I left; if you don't conform to their ridged ideology, theology and dogma you are ostracized. Freedom in Texas....yeah right!
edit on 5-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Sanity prevails. My assumption is youre in the vast majority. Hopefully the electorate understands the politicians calling for secession are simply pandering as usual. Pandering to who is the question

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

Sanity prevails. My assumption is youre in the vast majority. Hopefully the electorate understands the politicians calling for secession are simply pandering as usual. Pandering to who is the question

I think to themselves?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join