It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Republican 'thought police' Enforce Climate Science Denial

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FriedBabelBroccoli

No, you cherry picked a data point you can knock down, while ignoring what the plethora of data is telling us.

edit on 5-12-2015 by jrod because: credit to Grimpachi for the gif

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

No, you cherry picked a data point you can knock down, while ignoring what the plethora of data is telling us.

The Arctic is not the Antarctic . . .

Nice try though.

-FBB

//edit

Arctic

Antarctic
edit on 5-12-2015 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Overall the ice on planet Earth is declining.

Keep cherry picking what you can.

AGW is pretty well validated.

Ice loss has been.confirmed.

CO2 levels are going up....

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Overall the ice on planet Earth is declining.

Keep cherry picking what you can.

AGW is pretty well validated.

Ice loss has been.confirmed.

CO2 levels are going up....

You said the science was completely settled . . .

More info from 'scientists' about why more research is needed

Last week’s study — which challenged a 2013 report by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) saying Antarctica was losing ice overall — has triggered heated debate.

“Please don’t publicize this study,” said Theodore A. Scambos, a senior research scientist at the National Snow & Ice Data Center, a polar research center at the University of Colorado at Boulder.

. . .

Benjamin Smith, of the University of Washington’s applied physics lab, said he didn’t think there was inaccurate data in Zwally's study. The differences in conclusion with other studies, he said, were largely based on the interpretation of that data. It was possible, Smith said, that Zwally’s measurements were correct and previous data were wrong.

“There’s an interpretation step that needs to go into this. The GRACE measurements and his are both influenced by what rock is doing underneath the ice sheet,” Smith said. “You have to understand what’s happening with the rock motion to understand what the signal from GRACE means.”

Smith said the issue may be laid to rest soon. There are plans underway, he said, to send teams to Antarctica to take measurements of the ice's altitude that way rather than using satellite data.

If Zwally’s study is correct, it raises another question: Where did the sea level rise attributed to Antarctic ice melt originate?

In recent decades, the world’s oceans have risen an average of 2.8 millimeters (0.11 inch) per year, according to a 2013 report by the IPCC. That rise is attributed to Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets melting, to disappearing glaciers and to thermal expansion — when heat from climate change causes the ocean to expand, therefore causing a sea level rise.

“The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 mm per year away,” Zwally said last week in a press release.

“But this is also bad news,” he said. “If the 0.27 mm per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”

Sounds pretty settled to me.

-FBB

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Again, I ask, so?

Why do we (the skeptics) need to be on board with this?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: FriedBabelBroccoli

You said the science was completely settled . . .

That's my favorite quote from the politicians pushing the agenda... the science is in, the science is settled, the science has spoken...

It's the most unscientific thing you can say. It's an absolute. Science constantly changes to incorporate new data... the climate agenda doesn't.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Why is Southern Sea Ice Increasing?

The most common misconception regarding Antarctic sea ice is that sea ice is increasing because it's cooling around Antarctica. The reality is the Southern Ocean surrounding Antarctica has shown strong warming over the same period that sea ice has been increasing. Globally from 1955 to 1995, oceans have been warming at 0.1°C per decade. In contrast, the Southern Ocean (specifically the region where Antarctic sea ice forms) has been warming at 0.17°C per decade. Not only is the Southern Ocean warming, it's warming faster than the global trend. This warmingtrend is apparent in satellite measurements of temperature trends over Antarctica(see link)

Still a warming trend down there.

You still haven't produced a valid link.that contradicts AGW mate.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Thank you for that link - I had not been able to find such an easy to understand explanation for this...

If you happen to have one for the 'deniers' who like to point out extreme snow storms each winter, you might want to go ahead and pull it out - someone is bound to bring that up in here before long.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Why is Southern Sea Ice Increasing?

The most common misconception regarding Antarctic sea ice is that sea ice is increasing because it's cooling around Antarctica. The reality is the Southern Ocean surrounding Antarctica has shown strong warming over the same period that sea ice has been increasing. Globally from 1955 to 1995, oceans have been warming at 0.1°C per decade. In contrast, the Southern Ocean (specifically the region where Antarctic sea ice forms) has been warming at 0.17°C per decade. Not only is the Southern Ocean warming, it's warming faster than the global trend. This warmingtrend is apparent in satellite measurements of temperature trends over Antarctica(see link)

Still a warming trend down there.

See, you are so delusional that you think I am trying to disprove AGW with one study.

You have been propagandised and radicalised to such an extent that simply posting a study which contradicts previous assumptions makes you think I am trying to disprove an entire theory instead of mere refinement or correction.

I am well aware of the mechanism and formulas used to calculate the energy transfer, or as heat transfer, whichever you prefer. So don't bother trying to list "scientific terms" that generally mean the exact same thing with a different unit because it gets old.

The point is the actual SCIENCE part is still being debated, and refined. If the previous assumptions hold to be true then that model is stronger, if not then it is tossed out. That is how things work. Your line of arguing shows a strong bias towards w/e the media presents as "science" as opposed to actual science which is taking place outside of your favourite political bubble.

Hence, thought-police as evidenced by your inability to even consider the argument as anything but the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you ___.

-FBB

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Which parts are being debated?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I haven't seen a single link EVER that explains how giving the government more money will solve the problem. Care to provide one of those?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

Which parts are being debated?

It is made very clear in the section from which I quoted.

I believe you can read them for yourself.

-FBB

//edit
Also, please don't start acting like Phage the last time you, Jrod, and Phage tried to debate with me.

Going back and reading that is like watching the crowd grab their pitchforks.
//edit
edit on 5-12-2015 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe
That is just political posturing....never once mentioned taxes or giving the government money to solve this.

It is up to us, the consumer to invest in clean energy while shying away from burning fossil.fuels.

Government regulation was necessary to end leaded gasoline, and maybe be needed to curb CO2 output.

ps,
We are currently throwing billions of dollars at the fossil fuel industry in the form if subsidies, subsidies that the same politicians who deny climate science strongly support.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Wait , shouldnt the title read:

How Republican 'thought police' Enforce Climate Theology Denial

See , I fixed it for you.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Republican 'thought police' that's a good one!

Thought police are the domain of the Democrats.

Have you been asleep the last 7 years?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Your are way off buddy, but go ahead and keep trying to label.me something that I am not.

I studied this in college. Looked at both sides and in between and based my current 'belief' on what the science and data is telling us.

What part of AGW theory do you.have a disagreement?

Keep in mind that scientists have been collectively studying this for over a lifetime. The only debate.among the scientific community is the extent of the damage done. There is no.doubt that our species is a major contributor to the spike of CO2 we are observing.

edit on 5-12-2015 by jrod because: grr

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: PresidentCamacho

I'm just using the headline from the article I linked in my OP. Not my words...

Here is what the GOP does not seem to understand about the climate 'debate': because of their apparent denial of science they are losing voters.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

How Republican 'Though Police' Enforce Climate Science Denial

The flat out denial of climate science is almost exclusively a Republican view point and I feel this artivle sheds some light on why this is so and why the GOP is so adamant on denying what the scientists, research, and data is telling us about climate change and AGW. It also gives some insight.to why Lamar Smith has been trying to spearhead what I would call a witch hunt against climate scientists and NOAA.

Actually there are MANY liberal/Democrat SCIENTISTS who reject the theory of man-made global warming. You'll never hear about them on the MSM of course.

I personally think anyone who still believes in global warming is completely brain-washed, or works for the TRILLION-DOLLAR "green" industry. There is ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBLE WAY that someone studying climate change objectively can believe that humans are causing global warming. It's not possible because it's NOT TRUE. Global warming is the most successful hoax ever invented. The majority of the world believes in this complete lie. The oil companies financially are NOTHING compared to the TRILLIONS of dollars involved in Climate Finance. There has been a complete brain-washing of the public.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Robotswilltakeover
Can you name any?

Can you provide any links to.back up your claims?

Why should we believe a keyboard warrior like you, especially when you provide no links and no names to.back your claims up?

You really expect us to believe your claim that the 'climate agenda' is a bigger 'industry' that mining and selling petroleum and coal?

I have to write you off as one who uses Alice in Wonderland logic.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FriedBabelBroccoli
It is made very clear in the section from which I quoted.

I believe you can read them for yourself.

Ah, so the only parts in contention are Antarctica's contribution to sea level rise?

I believe an author of the study said the documented rise in sea levels needs to be explained in light of his research suggesting that Antarctica is actually gaining ice, but he didn't question that sea levels are rising.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join