It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate BS DIY advice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Have you ever been told a piece of do it yourself advice and though....what in the actual f**k, this can't be true?

Today, my employer send around an email related to appliance help because as appliance parts sales people, we sometimes get into conversations with clients about random things, and it's nice to have little factoids to share.

Here is what the email linked too: LINK
The website claims that putting A TEASPOON of cracked black pepper in your wash cycle will abrasively scrub the soap scum from your clothes, keeping them whiter and brighter.

This is complete BS. Absolutely. A teaspoon of cracked black pepper in litres and litres of water has the abrasive scrubbing power of a f***ing marshmallow, approximately.

Pepper is currently, depending on your area, about $5.70 for 100 grams. Pepper is an expensive laundry fix. You might as well go outside and scoop up some sand.

Are the pepper manufacturers looking for a way to boost sales?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I watched a Ewetoob vid from the maker of a cabin air filter I bought to go into my car. It looked like a snap. However, I spent most of my time getting the wiper arms off, so I could lift the cowling, so I could get to the filter. I scrounged for parts & pieces to make myself a workable puller, and it was still a struggle, as they went on by tapered splines. By 4 PM, I was utterly exhausted, and the wiper arms are still off the car. I'm just glad the filter itself was so easy, especially at fifty bucks. The vid was mostly BS, I guess so that you'd go ahead and buy the filter...

BTW, one thing that really works in a washer is Coke, a few glugs of it, and it cuts grease like you would not believe.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

I wonder if Coca-Cola would chemically exfoliate facial skin since it removes every other kind of grease, enamel, toilet scum, etc.?

That could be a high margin "beauty breakthrough".

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I wonder if Coca-Cola would chemically exfoliate facial skin since it removes every other kind of grease, enamel, toilet scum, etc.?

That could be a high margin "beauty breakthrough".

A friend of mine, who once studied marine biology, told me that if wanted a fish skeleton, you laid the fish in a glass tray, something like a baking dish, and poured Coke on it until it was covered. Next morning, you had your skeleton.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Well damn, some ladies are going to have some glowing, refreshed, baby like skin when I develop my new line of facial treatments with "Cola Extract". I'm probably going to be a millionaire, and I'll remember you when the money rolls in.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Well damn, some ladies are going to have some glowing, refreshed, baby like skin when I develop my new line of facial treatments with "Cola Extract". I'm probably going to be a millionaire, and I'll remember you when the money rolls in.

You'll be busted when Coke's get through with you...oh, btw, will your marketing involve a DIY video??
edit on 5-12-2015 by Lazarus Short because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
I liked the one floating around social media that told people to put their cell phone batteries in the microwave oven and turning it on high.
It would increase the battery life they said.
Some people actually did it.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Anyone who fell for that trick....I just feel sad for them.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
That reminds me of the time I saw a facebook post saying that Listerine and water will keep mosquitoes away. Hell, no it does not! My brother, sister in law, and I went to a powwow and attracted every damn mosquito in the area. We were ate up by the time we left. Take crap like that with a grain of salt.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Well, did you know that you can keep your headlights from freezing in the winter by leaving them on all night?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Well, did you know that you can keep your headlights from freezing in the winter by leaving them on all night?

Please tell me you know someone who fell for this.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I used to tell people that a glass of orange juice after brushing doubled the cavity-fighting power of the toothpaste.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Hahahaha! Super sour surprise + tooth decay. Double whammy.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Not yet. I choose my victims wisely.
ETA: I'll find one before too long. Oh, on another note: If the metal prongs on your appliance plugs are bending, it's because the outlet is bent on the inside. Sticking a butter knife in it will straighten it out.
edit on 5-12-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I found some wonderful DYI advice for you. Follow instructions and everything should be fine.

top topics

join