It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7-yr-old girl killed at MI soccer practice after ‘paranoid’ man with CCW license opens fire

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
7-yr-old girl killed at MI soccer practice after ‘paranoid’ man with concealed carry license opens fire

7-year-old girl died at soccer practice Thursday night and a family friend who had been experiencing paranoia is accused of shooting her in the head before taking his own life.

Emma Nowling and her mother, Sharon Watson, were shot after the little girl’s soccer practice session at the Taylor Sportsplex in Michigan. Watson is listed in serious but stable condition, while Nowling died Thursday night after suffering head injuries, MLive.com reports. Authorities describe the suspect, Timothy Nelson Obeshaw, as a family friend who had a concealed carry permit and a legally-purchased gun.

Police say a 9 mm pistol recovered from the shooting scene was registered to Obeshaw.

The man had recently been experiencing paranoia, thought someone was out to get him and believed someone was trying to control him through mind control, Taylor police Chief Mary Sclabassi told MLive.

This country has some serious problems. ISIS doesn't have to bother coming over here to commit acts of terrorism, we commit them against ourselves everyday with senseless acts like this one.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
So someone showing signs of a mental illness was allowed to continue carrying a concealed weapon? What is the usual protocol under these circumstances? Surely if you are showing signs of mental illness then your licence should be revoked immediately?

Such a tragedy for the little girl and her family.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Who gets to decide?

How do we know when a sane person is going to snap?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Who gets to decide?

easy, DUH thought police can handle that

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
That story just broke my heart, kids dont deserve to be the victims of any type of violence, heres hoping people on both side dont use her story to prove there agenda is the right one.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

The scary part is some people would love such a thing.

I want to know how they knew the guy was having issues?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Who gets to decide?

Well, they are claiming that he had been suffering with paranoia and claiming that he felt someone/thing was trying to control his mind. If he had seen a professional because of this, then surely the sensible thing to do would be to check what firearm licenses he had and revoke them. It may not have stopped this situation from arising unfortunately, but it may have.
edit on 5/12/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Problem is we can't and shouldn't punish people because of maybe.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I wouldn't want that, but if he had seen a professional because of the way he was feeling then that's a different matter, surely?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Absolutely but all we know from the story is he had some kind of discussion/argument then shot in the car.

I believe he is not right considering he shot at a mother and child and needs to be punished my problem is putting lables on people beforehand.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It doesn't make one bit of difference if that person had a CCW or not. If someone is mentally ill to the point they think someones out to get them, not having a CCW wouldn't stop them from carrying a pistol if they have one.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I agree.

I question how the Police knew he was showing signs of paranoia. If he had not been seeing a professional, then it could only be hear say.

As for punishment, he took his own life, as many of these shooters do. Why they don't just kill themselves in the first instance, I have never been able to get my head around.

edit on 5/12/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Mental illness is a problem for sure. I wonder where he has been treated and what medications he was on, if any.

The article said he had no criminal record and told others he felt like someone was trying to control his mind.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think the paranoia comes straight from the wording
of the second amendment.
Goes something like this...

"You cannot trust your government , so you are allowed to
carry a gun to defend yourself , even though the threat is non-existant."

The British aren't coming. Relax .
Maybe go plow a field with your Magnum 54.

Or maybe shoot a car or a knife , cos we all know ,
they are way deadlier than guns .... right ?

RIP another child. Another victim of stupid .
Fruitcake award of the day .

Of course today isn't over yet , so I fully expect
to see much more madness yet.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I could never understand that either if you want out then go but leave others out of it.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
He started feeling like someone was trying to control his mind about a year ago.

The accounts are saying that a handgun was registered in his name in Sept., just 3 months ago.

He had been living with the couple and the little seven year old blonde headed girl, then recently moved out to a place in Taylor, southwest of Detroit.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The grandmother said there was never any signs he was battling any kind of mental illness. She said he was never unstable and a was a trusted family friend.

The police chief is the one that said they found evidence he thought someone was trying to control his mind, but they did not say what that evidence was.
www.wxyz.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ok, ok

No-one else is saying so I will, and prepare to get myself flamed.

First off... Terrible, shocking, horrible... Emotional response over. Time for reason and logic

You all seem to assume he must have been mentally ill. Proof? Non. Hearsay. Wordings in a report designed to influence opinion with no factual evidence stated.

Why, when we know it's possible to beam sound into somebody's head, do we instantly assume mental illness? The fact is Yes, there are mentally ill people, but when we know the tech exists to beam a thought into someone's head then somebody, somewhere at sometime is going to be the victim of this. This isn't an isolated situation, in fact I could probably count at least ten instances in the past year where shooters have claimed this exact thing. Maybe he killed himself through guilt of action or by understanding that he was not in control of his actions and so he was essentially compromised and I can assure you all, I would kill myself to if I thought I could be used to kill children at any time. We assume everyone who is paranoid is crazy. Not true.

I stole a phone from in a nightclub once(I was young. I'm not proud of it). Through an idiot calling friends from the phone the owners got the numbers and called all those friends and made threats. They turned up at one friends house in a blacked beemer with fake plates. 3 massive blokes making threats. Another 'friend' grassed me to these dudes. I had to pull strings to get 2 phones and got extorted £70 a day until I got the phones to them. I delivered at which time a gun was stuck in my face and I was told to pay double again or i would be shot. I did what I was told. Now the point...
From the moment these dudes turned up at my friends house, I was paranoid. Paranoid I'd have my door kicked in, that I would be kicked in, that they'd find me at work, attack my ex etc. Up until I had a gun put in my face everybody ripped me and called me paranoid. They didn't after because you see, I was telling the truth. I wasnt paranoid. They were coming for me.

At some point, some time, somewhere one of these dudes is telling the truth and it just isn't as simple as he must be crazy because blah emotional reaction/righteous indignation/ normalcy bias etc blah.

Sorry to rant, just get sick of reading the same old responses. It's like groundhog day round ere

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
He started feeling like someone was trying to control his mind about a year ago.

The accounts are saying that a handgun was registered in his name in Sept., just 3 months ago.

He had been living with the couple and the little seven year old blonde headed girl, then recently moved out to a place in Taylor, southwest of Detroit.

Another heartbreaking story of innocence lost due to a failed system.
He had an ongoing psychiatric condition involving paranoia and yet had no problem buying a pistol. SMH.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Who gets to decide?

Well, they are claiming that he had been suffering with paranoia and claiming that he felt someone/thing was trying to control his mind. If he had seen a professional because of this, then surely the sensible thing to do would be to check what firearm licenses he had and revoke them. It may not have stopped this situation from arising unfortunately, but it may have.

Key phrase: IF he had seen a professional. Kind of key element there.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join