It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purdue Pharmaceuticals about to make oxycontin look like a day at the beach?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Well, I don't know who has thought of this, but Purdue Pharmaceutical's website mentions a new drug that got FDA approval for Palladone. It is 32mg of time release hydromorphone, which is a long acting form of the infamous dilaudid that alot of heroin addicts just LOVE to inject.
And it's being labeled for moderate to severe pain? * MODERATE*?!!
I mean come on. 32mg of time release hydromorphone once alot of relapsing addicts will be relapsing, is NOT a good move. In the UK it's for cancer patients only. Yet in America, it's okay to pop pills that make things you can get on the street look like a day at the beach or get lollipops that have fentanyl in it. (the drug used for putting people out before surgeries). And not only that, it TASTES good. So if any of you guys are brave enough to play the stock market, look in to purdue pharmaceuticals before they release palladone on the market. It is already approved.
And it's going to make oxycontin look like a day at the beach I think.

The deaths in America won't be much from violence or law, but from individuals od'ing probably if anything.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have to take 100mg. Morph. 3x day, 40mg. Oxy. for breakthrough pain and 15mg. Vailum for mucle spazms and somedays it is not enoungh. I heard the other day there is a new pain med. beinapproved by the FDA that is made from the slime from a snail and it is supposed to be 50x more powerfull than Morph. and non-addictive. I can't wait to see if my Dr. will let me try it. Narcotics are so constipating!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
i was googleing to try to find more info on this and i cant can you post a link?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
i was googleing to try to find more info on this and i cant can you post a link?

I found this Press Release :

Stamford, Conn., September 24, 2004 � The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Palladone� (hydromorphone HCl extended-release) Capsules (CII) for the management of persistent, moderate to severe pain in patients requiring continuous, around-the-clock analgesia with a high potency opioid for an extended period of time (weeks to months) or longer. The painful conditions may arise from either cancer or non-cancer conditions. While long-acting (q12h) hydromorphone formulations are available in Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany, Palladone is the first long-acting hydromorphone formulation available in the U.S. The product offers the convenience of once-daily (q24h) dosing and will be available in 12 mg, 16 mg, 24 mg, and 32 mg dosage strengths. Palladone Capsules are expected to be available in retail pharmacies in the first half of 2005.

Purdue Pharmaceuticals website can be found - here

B.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What does it matter if its only available for cancer patients in the UK, you still need a perscription to get it in the US so the illicit use is going to be stuff that people obtain illegally anyways no?

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
I have to take 100mg. Morph. 3x day, 40mg. Oxy. [etc etc]

Good God man! No wonder your name is 'flying high'. I hope this is some sort of temporary thing!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I cann't believe what you can put on the market. Pills and drugs, what a lucrative business to be in. I would be eaten up with guilt if I worked for drug companies. If I am having someone drill on a tooth or something, I want pain medicine, but not hooked on it for every little ache and pain. I believe there are many things better, safer, and cheaper to be found in the local vitamin store. Think of all these drugged people hopping in motor vehicles, but I don't think that some people consider something like this.

Troy

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
dilaudid. i am addicted to it, although i do not take it anymore (i never used it as a street drug). i was in the hospital for a month with acute pancreatitis and it was the only pain killer they would give me for a month that would kill the pain and not cause seizures.

i cannot describe how 'high' 8mg makes you in words, and i weigh 320 lbs. it lasts for 2-3 hours. 32mg time release would make you incapacitated for 12 hours. If this drug was crushed up and sniffed (like a lot of oxycontin abusers do), it could lead to a serious addiction (let alone just the pill itself), and possible overdose.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
An urge is an urge, but since you don't take it any more, I don't think that you are an addict. It's good that you don't take it anymore.

Troy

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Nygdan I wish this was only as passing thing. I have to take this crap just to do what normal people do. My Dr. put it to me like this "Every time you bend over you are one day closer to being confined to a wheelchair." People think that it gets me high but it does'nt. It just lets me walk to the bus stop, wash dishes, take a shower get it? If I wanted to get high, I would do several shots of Brandy. They also have several bad effects such as short term memory problems and the Big C. facter. Have you heard the one about the constipated mathmatican? Well when he got around to it he worked it out with a pencil!. Until med. tech. reaches higher levels I will be stuck takeing this stuff. Pardon any spelling errors...that is another one that falls in under the con list.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
FLYIN HIGH I know just what you mean -- isn't it frustrating when people who don't have chronic pain think we get high on pain meds -- Like you say we take them just to function somewhat normally. I didn't take what you take -- I took Darvocet - I usually managed to keep it to 2 pills mid-day just to be able to get the pain level to come down a few notches for a few hours. I was so careful not to overdue what I took. (if I had 60 for the month I might not take any if the day wasn't horrendous but then on a day where it was I might take one before going to bed to be able to hopefully fall asleep) Now with the government scaring doctors -- trying to get needed pain meds you are made to feel like an addict. I had one great doctor who understood and said that I would never be addicted but I was dependent on them to function. Of course that doctor went to boutique medicine and I couldn't afford the $1,500 fee a year to be his patient. So now I go to an urgent care doctor as most doctors in this area aren't taking new patients. I am miserable- I am in pain- I don't sleep - which causes the pain to be worse which causes me to not sleep ---- a never ending cycle it seems. Because my activity level has decreased and because I am eating because I hurt and am ticked off about it my weight has gone up. BTW the doctor I go to now will give me pain meds but I don't want to put him in the position of defending his belief that people need relief. I now am destroying my stomach with Advil, Aleve, or asprin which really have no effect at all on how I feel. Every few months I can't take it and do get a months script and am amazed at how much better I feel with just the 2 pills a day -- I am still in pain but I have a few hours of it being a level 6 instead of a level 8 or 9.

You can tell that people who get up in arms about pain meds have never had chronic pain. I do agree that there is a concern that it will be used illegally and abused by some -- but honestly that is not my problem. That is up to the doctors to decide if their patient needs the meds or not. And as far as what will get on the street illegally -- it isn't my fault ----I shouldn't have to pay for it with more pain.

There was an article in AARP magazine this month that quoted a study done at Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine (the article was in the Nov. 17th issue of Journal of Neuroscience) that stated that chronic unrelenting pain (their particular study was done on back pain) causes the brain's gray matter to shrink as much as 11% in one year - that is the equivalent of 10-20 years of aging. And that the area that loses the gray matter are areas that process information and memory.

Sorry to go off on everyone -- but this is a sore point with me -- pun intended.
jm

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
When i had my wisdom teeth, all four, out i got oxycontin but the pain was so excruciating that i never felt high from it in the least.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Flyin High, what's the health issue?

Troy

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Let me clarify, what is physically wrong with your body?

Troy

new topics

top topics

join