It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Violence Continue To Persist In The Human Species?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Even when we think ourselves to be an advance civilization, we are still very primitive when it comes to our brain development, remember we maybe conscious humans but still belong to the animal species and very territorial, with an ego that is bigger than our mind.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

It's not being primitive that creates these problems. It's mental variety expressed in different forms. As stated earlier, the more "sentient" a species has become, as shown in nature, the more their capacity for cruelty grows.

In fact it's our increased sentience and brain capacity that makes this cruelty possible. So your, our brain is still primitive explanation is clearly wrong. It's actually the opposite.
edit on 12/4/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Violent people lead lives that often result in imprisonment or death. They are more often removed from the gene pool than before and I believe that will have long-term effects. I don't believe evolution will ever completely dissolve humanity's sickness of violence but it will reduce it.

The criminals that get caught,killed or removed from the gene pool sure this may have an impact on the quality of the human race. But what about the highly intelligent sociopaths and cold callous psychopaths that don't get caught? They're the ones that need to uprooted, the ones that get caught have paid there debt to society to impose further consequences gives the criminals yet to be caught a greater incentive.

I agree, intentional harm is going to be a tough challenge to tackle for the human race. Seeing as how Saudi Arabia is the head of the human rights council for the U.N it will be even tougher.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Actually our souls are not capable of cruelty, but the primitive human brain is as is ruled by emotions.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

It's not being primitive that creates these problems. It's mental variety expressed in different forms. As stated earlier, the more "sentient" a species has become, as shown in nature, the more their capacity for cruelty grows.

You mean 'creativity' of a more obtuse expression/finesse of cruelty; (those in place with power) that are given more polish and can get away with as such because are so shiny true).
edit on 4-12-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I don't know how you can say that with such conviction. There is no proof that we have a soul.

We are a violent species, always have been, always will be. jmo. I don't know the why, just that we are. I guess in the distant past we had to be, to survive.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: lifecitizen

Everybody believes what they want depending on their life experiences, I am sure you have you convictions like I have mine.

The goal of the human species is to develop enough to get past the hold we have from our emotions and our ego.

But our souls that inhabit the human body is only united to it by the span of the human life in earth.

Violence, love, hate, happiness, sadness and so on are just emotions that we need to master in order to advance in our human evolution.

When we maintain a happy out look to life while facing hard times we become better human beings.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Violence is only considered bad by the Human definition of what is violent.

The world we live on is violent.

Species that share this world are also violent.....unless a shark attack can be considered "easy going"....oh, but that is just natural....right? Animals killing each other in the wild is "natural".....as natural as a human killing another human.....only by law and definition and moral standards...all human concepts....is that considered wrong.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
it's just how we roll. dna-encoded threat defence in our genes means violence can erupt anytime in anyone. mostly we keep it in check. really well, considering the numbers. it might be changed through a hybridization cross-breeding program of a sufficently high technological level. but humans right now, i find the animalistic reflex rage is alive and well in everyone. yet incredibly few (by global percentile) lose it and go ape#. most of us are able to send the violence to the back of our minds and leave it there.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Violence is evolutionary advantageous especially for those missing out on other qualities such as intelligence. Instead of being right, might can make right.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: projectvxn
I am not a violent person. I am only willing to use violence, either defensively or offensively, as a means to secure my self and others.

From violence, though, right? If you were the only human capable of violence, would you ever express it?

I wouldn't have to.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

In my Tai Chi class my professor taught us that ideally we should both be half angel half devil. We should have compassion yet at the same time be aggressive should someone do any harm to ourselves.

My point is violence has been a part of our nature as much as compassion is. Denying our violent side is also denying who we are. The only thing we can do is find a balance between our compassionate side and our violent nature.
edit on 4-12-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

We've developed technology that has reduced the necessity for humans to kill each other for desired or required resources. We have more variability now because of biotechnology, the future is further advances in human biotechnology,Free food, free clothing and free energy is what the human species has been yearning for and most of all many of us have been yearning for immortality or longer life spans.(not all I realize) But if we were to make death an obsolete concept(how, I do not know), I think violence would become obsolete as well. Thus improving the overall quality of the human species. Would it not?

Whether or not it is wrong for animals to be violent as it is a natural behavior, that's assuming that other life forms have morality is it not? Animals lack a moral understanding of their actions and can not formulate opinions and conduct themselves based on that. So I conclude animals can't really be considered immoral for their actions, by some humans I'm sure they might disagree.

To apply that same 'slipper-slope' logic to humans is ignoring the fact that humans are capable of making judgements on the subjective nature of human morality. Meaning we have the capability to transcend beyond what our biology permits us to do.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Most violence has religious underpinnings.
Most people have not figured out how manipulated they are, and use it to breed hatred, and then use it for the justification.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Read William Bramley's "The Gods of Eden"

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
it is due to labels. That is what the problem is. We see a person who is different, or know of their difference and we label them, and then start to see such as something else. if more people, those who are committing the acts of violence were to see their victims as humans, then there would probably be less violence.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Even you give humanity free items and unlimited resources violence will still exist because it is within our nature. One thing I notice is that humanity have the fear of others different from them. For example, religious differences. People will kill over religion just because their god commanded to kill non believers of their particular religion.

Also another thing that causes violence is ideology. No matter how hard we try we can never destroy ideas including violent ideas. Ideas will still be around at some point or another.
edit on 4-12-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Once we have all of those things the only things people have to do is entertainment. Keeping ourselves mentally preoccupied with finding ways to satisfy our desires in new and complex ways. Which means there will be more trolls, ect in the future as well as potentially mad science. Jerks will still be jerks, they'll just find new ways to self express.

Is why I think if aliens are here they are likely trolling humanity for #s and giggles. They don't need our resources, they don't need our planet for themselves. Literally the only thing we provide for them is a primitive species floundering about. Great opportunity for trolling, as well as sociological, psychological and biological experimentation. The one thing our planet provides is another kind of entertainment and intellectual stimulation.

Something which is not provided by exposing themselves en mass. Also explain if the governments/military knows anything why stay quiet. If aliens are here for this purpose what would exposing this get. "Hi all just to let you know, aliens are real and we're their playthings, and we're completely helpless to do anything about it." At which point they cause a social commotion of which we're uncertain of the reaction AND piss off a species that are technological gods compared to us by ruining their fun and only use for us.

Were we in their shoes, considering the way I've seen humanity behave, I don't think we'd be doing any differently. Despite what Star Trek and their federation would like us to believe.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

As others have suggested Survival of the fittest.

Violence is not immune to solely Humans , animals and even plants have violent tendencies for survival.

In reality humans compared to other life forms might actually be the least violent among the carnivores and predatory animals.

Perhaps their is hope that with greater intelligence we can overcome violence as a survival mechanism? If not then lets hope we never meet ET.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Your right people have a tendency to dehumanize other people from other groups based on the human divisions that exist and the language that we use to describe other groups of people.

Although, I'm not sure If I would say that dehumanization is the source of violent behavior... It's definitely a major factor into the equation for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join