It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native Youth Beaten For Taking a Stand Against Redmen Mascot

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Yes, if I had a dollar for everytime I've seen someone be outraged over the stereotypical "Fighting Irish," the oft seen "Cowboys/Aggie," the stereotypical "Viking," or the stereotypical "Buccaneers/Raiders" well, I'd have exactly zero dollars...

For the record, I would like them to stop putting horns on "Viking Helmets". It's a bull# icon that probably stemmed more from accounts attempting to link the Vikings with the devil/demons. Horned helms were very rare in Viking society and incredibly impractical in combat - in fact, there is more evidence that almost every other culture in Europe wore horned helms more often than Vikings did.

Here's your dollar.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: cryptic0void

You know, go ahead and make me an offer. The estate of the gentleman who all of the "Pistol Pete" style mascots is based off of receives a handsome royalty from schools like NMSU, Oklahoma State, and Wyoming for his likeness. I'll take that deal. (Though I hope your team wins... I'd hate to have my image saddled to some crappy team plays like the Browns or Lions
)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: eNumbra

Red man/skin is more akin to Black, which last I checked wasn't considered offensive.

Actually many Native Americans find the term offensive. I know my father who was Native American sure didn't like it.

I don't doubt people may find it offensive, I personally, don't see how it's any different than black/white; that is, at the end of the day the disconnect we all have with the term.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

I don't doubt people may find it offensive, I personally, don't see how it's any different than black/white; that is, at the end of the day the disconnect we all have with the term.

I'm only half native (Métis is the term we use for ourselves as a group) but I find native more offensive than, say, indian, which is at least a testament to the white man's stupidity. Frankly, how a word can be offensive is what boggles my mind, when the actual censuring of words is a thousand-fold more offensive.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

I will never understand why it is so offensive to use a "person" as a mascot when it was originally used as a tribute to said person.

And herein lays the problem, maybe just maybe he didn't see it that way, kinda like Black face use to pay tribute to folks who may find it not kool, some ppl are sensitive like that.
edit on 4-12-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: theonenonlyone
a reply to: Metallicus

Wow..OK.

How would standing up for something you believe in be considered annoying? Your reply is unreal in that you can understand why reacting with violence is a normal reaction to being "annoyed".

Again...WOW.

IF someone is negatively affecting my daily activities then yes, it is annoying and frankly protesters almost always annoy me regardless of their cause. Also, understanding something does not equate to taking action. Maybe if people understood motivations of others better we would have a better world.
edit on 2015/12/4 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

when you say many, what is the number? it sounds like you know 1 not many.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
How far down the barrel did you have to dig to come up with this non story? Is there a police report or just a case of he said it so it must be true also those marks don't look like anything other then acne and a hickie.

Why would you consider this a non story? A person was assaulted for protesting against something they believed in and to you this is a non story? Because the wounds aren't superficial, they should be ignored?

Why is their cause of no importance to you?
edit on 4-12-2015 by theonenonlyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
, but I certainly don't care about their grievance, either. There's more to this story than written, however. It's high school... dudes fight for long held grudges, not for "I was minding my own business when suddenly" nonsense.

I have noticed replies similar to this. Is it because of who they are that you have issue with their story?

Their grievance about being disrespected and their likeness being used as a mascot is a valid one. To tell them to get over it would be a slap in the face to them. Why do these people continued to be looked at as not worthy of respect and why is it OK to mock them and use them for decorations?

These are the only people in North American history that still can be openly disrespected and their causes pushed aside as nothing but meaningless nonsense. Why is that?

Sure it may mean nothing to you and others but it means something to them and concerns deep seated racism towards them that is still considered a non issue.
edit on 4-12-2015 by theonenonlyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
"I find it offensive". This is the only excuse and rationale now used to impose restrictions on others.

So you do not think there is validity to their cause? You think imposing restrictions on others regarding racism as a bad thing?

It is shocking to see that people view this as a non issue and that their self worth and identities mean nothing to people.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

IF someone is negatively affecting my daily activities then yes, it is annoying and frankly protesters almost always annoy me regardless of their cause. Also, understanding something does not equate to taking action. Maybe if people understood motivations of others better we would have a better world.

Well than don't see it as a cause then, see it is as their way of telling others their identities and self worth mean something. That being used as a mascot goes against that and it is telling them who cares about what it means to you as long as I can support my team with the big red Indian symbol.

Also tell them that the effigy no matter how ridiculous it may look, is a way of honoring them.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: theonenonlyone

Respect is earned. "Because I am this particular ancestry" earns nothing by itself.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I think people have had enough of the PC BS and are simply past the point of caring. People need to toughen up and stop being offended by everything. I have been called every name you can imagine during my lifetime and it really doesn't bother me because I don't choose to be offended.

Believe it or not it isn't the offender's problem...how people react to something is entirely up to them so I guess I would say tough luck.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
High school fights are now newsworthy?
Kids have their story - the media says something else..
The truth?...........
Meh

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Question how many here would whoop someone's ass if you caught them pissing on the U.S flag.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
well, in this politically correct world, I look at it this way, if there were no mascots or sports teams named for native americans, they would be screaming racism. I`m sure somewhere out there in a paralle universe he is out there protesting because there are no mascots of sports teams recognizing native americans.
you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can`t please all of the people all of the time.
edit on 4-12-2015 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2015 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
well, in this politically correct world, I look at it this way, if there were no mascots or sports teams named for native americans, they would be screaming racism.
you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can`t please all of the people all of the time.

If they owned the franchise maybe there wouldn't be a problem..the power dynamics is always interesting.
edit on 4-12-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: theonenonlyone

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
"I find it offensive". This is the only excuse and rationale now used to impose restrictions on others.

So you do not think there is validity to their cause? You think imposing restrictions on others regarding racism as a bad thing?

It is shocking to see that people view this as a non issue and that their self worth and identities mean nothing to people.

I believe in absolute free speech, yes, including racism.

Language is an extension of thought. Anything less than absolute free speech is tyranny.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 4-12-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Fighting Irish, Vikings, Patriots, Buccaneers, Raiders, Cowboys, Boilermakers, Red Raiders, Seminoles, Demon Deacons, Hokies, Tar Heels, Cavaliers, Cornhuskers, Volunteers, Commodores, Rebels, Quakers, Friars, Musketeers, Hoyas, Pioneers, Hoosiers, Spartans, Fighting Illini, Trojans and Utes ...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join