It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native Youth Beaten For Taking a Stand Against Redmen Mascot

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Native Youth Beaten For Taking a Stand Against Redmen Mascot

During a recent basketball game, Sisseton Wahpeton Dakota youth Monge Cha Eastman, 14, was attacked in a bathroom by non-Native students for distributing ‘Not Your Mascot’ t-shirts. One student blocked the door, while another physically assaulted Monge. Other non-Native students surrounded them, egging on the violence.

I will never understand how hard it is for people to understand that it is offensive to use a person as a mascot.

Nor will I ever understand why some people react violently to change. They are only asking for respect, why would violence be a proper answer to this.

edit on 4-12-2015 by theonenonlyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: theonenonlyone

Does "Non-Native" mean they were not all White / Caucasian?

I would assume if they were all White / Caucasian that this rarely used term of "non-native" would not be used....

Just an observation of recent trends.

Headline:
Native Youth Beaten By White Students For Taking a Stand Against Redmen Mascot!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

He should not have been attacked or injured, but sometimes when you are being annoying you get the crap kicked out of you even though it isn't right. I remember the guy that drove through a crowd of protesters who were blocking the streets and he had to get to work. I mean he shouldn't have done that, but I can certainly understand why he did.

If you are going to stick your neck out sometimes it is going to get broken.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I will never understand why it is so offensive to use a "person" as a mascot when it was originally used as a tribute to said person. Mascots are picked because they represent the school/organization/business and are objects or people that are respected... not looked down upon.
It has nothing to do with change.. just people not using their brains. They have to stop being offended and that's all there is to it.
Though, beating someone like this is never right.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Wow..OK.

How would standing up for something you believe in be considered annoying? Your reply is unreal in that you can understand why reacting with violence is a normal reaction to being "annoyed".

Again...WOW.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
I will never understand why it is so offensive to use a "person" as a mascot when it was originally used as a tribute to said person.

It is offensive because it is a stereotype. All they want is respect for who they are and to not be used as a mascot.

What would you think if someone used Jewish Americans, African American, Polish Americans..etc as mascots. There would be outrage and there would validity to that outrage.

If you cannot understand than I highly doubt you ever will.
edit on 4-12-2015 by theonenonlyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Looks likeshe has acne and a hicky. If that's the battle damage doesn't look like much of a fight took place. Too bad she got assaulted. Also to bad that people can't see a person with redskin colour as a mascot as a honour.

edit on 4-12-2015 by Athetos because: Gender correction

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Not to mention the term "redskin" is akin to 'n-word'......

If people shouldn't be offended then I guess it would be ok to call it the Washington "N-words"?

edit on 4-12-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Also to bad that people can't see a person with redskin colour as a mascot as a honour.

And this is part of the problem. The thinking that other people know what is right for another race and what they should consider to be an honor or gift.

I would think that a person being objectified would have a much better understanding than we would, about what they feel is disrespect.

To speak for them and tell them, your are wrong about your feelings and I know better about what is right or wrong for you is just continued disrespect.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
How far down the barrel did you have to dig to come up with this non story? Is there a police report or just a case of he said it so it must be true also those marks don't look like anything other then acne and a hickie.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

Mostly because you were never used as a mascot being part of the master (white) race?
Good, then I'll name my team the KKKrazies rednecks with long beards and shotguns will be my mascot.
Hope you don;t mind, it is out of respect for the warrior abilities of redneck settlers

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
How come no one bitches about the Celtics?
edit on 4-12-2015 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: cryptic0void
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

Mostly because you were never used as a mascot being part of the master (white) race?
Good, then I'll name my team the KKKrazies rednecks with long beards and shotguns will be my mascot.
Hope you don;t mind, it is out of respect for the warrior abilities of redneck settlers

Just remember to take full responsibility of the name and the Mascots, then you can have all the fun you want with that one.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

is he sposed to showing wounds? I received better beatings from my children. i literally have been hurt worse while working as a file clerk. this guy is just being a baby

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The media doesn't want to describe the students because it was probably girls who wrecked him lol

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

Not to mention the term "redskin" is akin to 'n-word'......

Red man/skin is more akin to Black, which last I checked wasn't considered offensive. Savage, would be the derogatory word used for the Native Americans.

If however, you read the article, the mascots offensiveness doesn't come from his name.

The group also said that Sisseton High School uses the Redmen as a mascot as an excuse to hold mock pipe ceremonies during homecoming coronation. Persephone Eastman, a Junior in high school, has witnessed the coronation ceremony for herself, and she says it was “really offensive.” “I want the name change because without the name they can’t do the coronation. Both the name and coronation are offensive because it’s a misrepresentation of who we are as Dakota people. They paint themselves with our sundance symbols on their arm like its nothing, like it has no meaning or sacredness to it. They have a fake medicine man that has a vision of who is crowned, with a headdress,” Persephone states.

originally posted by: thesaneone

because the Irish are too drunk to care.

and yes, that was tongue-in-cheek, before one of you reports me.
edit on 12/4/2015 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Because Celtic isn't a derogatory term?

Celtic
an ethnolinguistic group of tribal societies in Iron Age and Medieval Europe who spoke Celtic languages

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: theonenonlyone
What would you think if someone used Jewish Americans, African American, Polish Americans..etc as mascots. There would be outrage and there would validity to that outrage.

Yes, if I had a dollar for everytime I've seen someone be outraged over the stereotypical "Fighting Irish," the oft seen "Cowboys/Aggie," the stereotypical "Viking," or the stereotypical "Buccaneers/Raiders" well, I'd have exactly zero dollars...

People whining about mascott names don't piss me off, nor do I think they should be shoved around in a restroom, but I certainly don't care about their grievance, either. There's more to this story than written, however. It's high school... dudes fight for long held grudges, not for "I was minding my own business when suddenly" nonsense.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Red man/skin is more akin to Black, which last I checked wasn't considered offensive.

Actually many Native Americans find the term offensive. I know my father who was Native American sure didn't like it.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
"I find it offensive". This is the only excuse and rationale now used to impose restrictions on others.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join