It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Police lock down cafe in Rye, Australia, following reports of an armed siege

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 01:22 AM

originally posted by: Shamrock6
It's a guy threatening to kill his wife, according to locals.

If that's the case its nothing more than a domestic dispute gone wrong and nothing to do with word terrorism or terrorists but it will be interesting to count how many times the word gets used during the widespread coverage.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 03:45 AM
For those people who are stupid enough to believe that Australia has no guns - I have three, a .22 rifle, a 12 gauge, and a .308. Semi-automatic shotguns are also available - to be fair, a lot of Australians don't know that it's possible to get a semi-auto shotgun, but you absolutely can, legally.

After the 96 amnesty, a lot of people's guns were "stolen" - i.e., buried and hidden in a safe location. Also, it is absolutely possible to smuggle in automatic weapons. Not very common, but believe me, it can be done.

People in the UK also have guns. In fact, I can't think of any country that has no guns whatsoever. People hunt, and go target shooting at gun ranges. In Australia you can't legally own an automatic weapon, but not all guns are automatic... and to be honest, I think this is a good thing, because truth is, no civilian really needs a fully auto. I've been thinking of selling my .308, simply because I just don't need it. I only got it because it's cool. You don't use fully autos when hunting, and accuracy goes out the window.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:22 AM
Of course Australia doesn't totally lack gun violence, but

A) there is significantly less of it
B) we don't have to worry about getting shot in an alleyway. I've feared being stabbed before, but never shot
C) we don't get massacred by our own police force only to watch them get off free because they feared the person they shot twelve times in the back of the head might possibly have had a gun there was a chance they could have maybe pulled and shot the officer with.

edit on 5/12/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:52 AM

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: ReadLeader

Not to worry, there's no guns in Australia, right?

No, there's legal, limited and controlled guns in Australia, but not a mass shooting every damned day like in the US

You see, this is something the pro-gun lobby seem to like doing, claiming that gun control can't possibly work. Unfortunately for you, it actually does!

The major difference between the US and AU being of course that the US has no borders between states and it's very easy to buy a gun in one state with almost no gun control and take it into another state with more effective gun control laws.

You try getting an assault rifle into Australia and let me know how that goes

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:06 AM
See this is how normal people lose the plot. They get a gun, take a hostage, stamp their feet, the police come to the rescue and basically say ''stop being a dick', the guy gives up and everyone goes home alive!!!!!

Job done!

Well done Australia for being normal people

new topics

top topics
<< 1   >>