It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why climb everest?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
so i watched the movie everest.
really enjoyed it. i am fascinated with the story...the disaster....the fact that people subject themselves to this.
getting ready to start reading the book it was based off in a second.

my question is why do it at all? all the cost and risk just to say you did it?

i was reading about the cost of it.
to enter through tibet, a permit can cost 25 grand a person.
to hire an experienced, full service guide company it can cost 60 grand a person.
full service meaning, base camp #, medical service....climbers that know what they are doing.

if youre gonna use bottled oxygen that is another 3 grand or so.

you have to climatize your body for like 45 days before you start the big climb. you have to climb to a base camp ad hang out and make 3 partial climbs. if you dont do it you can die in 3 minutes when you hit the dead zone.

it all just sounds super crazy and super scary to me.

so....

whats the draw?
the whole thrill seeking thing? just to say you did it...be part of an elite club?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Because it's there?
Sorry had to do it

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Because it's there?
Sorry had to do it

Burger it, you beat me to it. !

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Because it's there?
Sorry had to do it

i figured someone would say that.
now that we got it out of the way.....

i just dont get it.

though it would be cool to go to tibet and spend a day or to in namche bazaar.

apparently thats the most expensive city in tibet. 3 times more expensive than katmandu.
the gateway to everest i guess.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It's all about bragging rights?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
psh...freakin' one-uppers.

They pretty much make a rope escalator on the backs of the local free climbers, take a bunch of rich morons up and if they don't hit a storm or avalanche they have accomplished the amazing.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

They pretty much make a rope escalator on the backs of the local free climbers, take a bunch of rich morons up and if they don't hit a storm or avalanche they have accomplished the amazing.

i was reading about that too.
its rich people paying the sherpas to do all the work.
the sherpas are the ones that put the fixed ropes in on the hilary step and such so the rich people have an easier time. not to say it is easy but still.
back in the 50's when hilary and tenzing norgay did it they didnt have any 'fancy' climbing gear and they didnt have people fixing ropes for them.

i also read that on top of the 25k permit and the 60k fee for the guides, you can pay sherpa(probably a lot) to carry your packs and cook for you.
while it is still a feat to make it to the top, is it really 'legit' if people are carrying your # and cooking for you?

im trying not to be critical cause honestly i think even attempting to climb everest is stupid.
that said, people should be able to do it if they want...

i do like how the gov of tibet handles deaths and bad events. it is pretty much a 'oh well' reaction.
youre adults. you did it on your own will. you knew the risks. tough #

i can dig that

i just cant wrap my head around paying all that money to risk the climb. i also cant help but think all the people that make the summit kind of suck besides the sherpas. those dudes are the ones out there making it happen.

i am fascinated with it though.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hilary did have a covert eye out for the Yeti though. Those who came/come later are probably doing the same yet...i
Think about it, catch one on camera having a bark, you'd be famous..Yuh see, there's always a motive.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Op are you being deliberately obtuse or a you just narrow minded?

You can't think of ANY reason at all why somebody would want to climb everest? None? You must be old.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
narrow minded i guess.
i can not think of a reason to do it.

bragging rights? just cause its there
not good reasons imo

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Climbing Everest is for woosies!!!! You got dedicated trails, basecamps and tent cities, o2, sherpas. Real men seek real challenges like scaling Meru. Not even sherpas will mess with that place. That's a scary fricken mountain peak to climb.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Mandroid7

i was reading about that too.
its rich people paying the sherpas to do all the work.
the sherpas are the ones that put the fixed ropes in on the hilary step and such so the rich people have an easier time. not to say it is easy but still.
back in the 50's when hilary and tenzing norgay did it they didnt have any 'fancy' climbing gear and they didnt have people fixing ropes for them.

i also read that on top of the 25k permit and the 60k fee for the guides, you can pay sherpa(probably a lot) to carry your packs and cook for you.
while it is still a feat to make it to the top, is it really 'legit' if people are carrying your # and cooking for you?

im trying not to be critical cause honestly i think even attempting to climb everest is stupid.
that said, people should be able to do it if they want...

i do like how the gov of tibet handles deaths and bad events. it is pretty much a 'oh well' reaction.
youre adults. you did it on your own will. you knew the risks. tough #

i can dig that

i just cant wrap my head around paying all that money to risk the climb. i also cant help but think all the people that make the summit kind of suck besides the sherpas. those dudes are the ones out there making it happen.

i am fascinated with it though.

This reminds me of an uncle who had fish trophies in his house, how he bragged about it, yet I went with him and my cousin one time, deep sea fishing. All you do is sit there. It is the guides boat, his equipment, everything. All you do is stand up and real in the fish once it bites on. Woohoo. They even clean the fish for you afterwards. Most rich people cannot do squat on their own. Their money does everything for them, then they somehow act like they accomplished something. Silly really.

Pcg

new topics

top topics

join