It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under GOP control, Senate finally passes bill to repeal Affordable Care Act

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Most of the people I've talked to about their personal experience with the ACA, have nothing positive to say about it. Granted, they are folks who's lives are similar to my own; working class with kids and mortgages. Without stirring up a REP/DEM snot slinging contest, I would be interested to hear about how some other people have been effected.

link   
a reply to: olaru12

What most of these GOP supports don't know or refuse to understand is that Obamacare was originally supposed to be a single=payer plan. Obama compromised and worked with the GOP to come up with the ACA.

When it came time to vote on it, the GOP threw him under the bus and has been playing the "evil Obamacare" card ever since.

One of the most shady, underhanded events in American political history.

link   
So do do the GOP actually have an alternative to replace the ACA as crappy as it is or is it going to turn into an even more pathetic attempt at healthcare. I have a feeling they are just going to throw the populace to the wolves and let the corrupt for profit Insurance Companies rape you even harder without any legislative safety net. Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Anyway I agree the ACA turned into the unwanted bastard child of what could of been a beneficial single payer system but that goes against the Corporate masters and profit at any cost healthcare systems wishes. wouldn't want those hospital administrators to lose their multi-million dollar mansions and stables of exoticars.

Rant off

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

You don't need a replacement for something that wasn't needed in the first place

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

What most of these GOP supports don't know or refuse to understand is that Obamacare was originally supposed to be a single=payer plan. Obama compromised and worked with the GOP to come up with the ACA.

When it came time to vote on it, the GOP threw him under the bus and has been playing the "evil Obamacare" card ever since.

It's astonishing the naivete and ignorance of ATS conservatives. Their ideology never fails to Trump their common sense.

lol...I made a funny

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

Cheapest ACA could offer me was $240 a month for basically nothing insurance except in name.

I'm 27 and healthy and have no immediate desire or need for insurance. Anytime I've had any illness since ACA become a thing I've gone to a clinic and paid for it out of pocket at around $250. Total. Since ACA began.

There is no savings in it for me because it's not a law designed FOR me. As a matter of fact I am the one whose participation in ACA was supposed to help supplement the cost of others who cannot afford to pay anything.

I didn't pay the fine last year, I'll not pay it again this year.

I sincerely hope that by this time next year the fine for being uninsured will be a thing of the past.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thats pretty much it, they have no other alternative to the ACA. If they could actually offer up something, I'm all ears. ACA doesn't work out for me I actually pay more now and actually refused it the first year. Now, I'm just avoiding fines, by having insurance but haven't even used it this year. But, someone mentioned already that the Republicans screwed Obama when he tried working with them, so guess I should look into that. It definitely wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You got a link for that incident?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You don't need a replacement for something that wasn't needed in the first place

People going bankrupt from medical bills and people being denied medical services didn't need to be fixed?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm sure peoples opinions are going to change drastically when they find out the penalty for not having health care during tax season, I think its $695s per person

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

So I go bankrupt from ACA's monthly costs or bankrupt from the fines related to not having ACA

Seems like they really knocked it out of the park with the whole "stopping people from going bankrupt" thing

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Bluntone22

People going bankrupt from medical bills and people being denied medical services didn't need to be fixed?

How the hell did obama care fix that?
I see buckets in every store collecting for somebody's medical bills. What's fixed?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: Bluntone22

Well they at least tried to do what they promised during the last election.

That's all that is required of the GOP by it's voter base. They don't actually have to do any work or produce results. As long as they are seen as opposing the Left and their programs, the brainwashed masses with vote Republican.

Yep the name of the game for the GOP has become "block anything the Democrats want to do no matter what it is" instead of actually coming up with its own, unique political positions.

Our own unique political positions are the polar opposite of what many Democrats want... so blocking anything they do is a good start. Just saying...

Hey if you want to tell yourself that to help you sleep at night, great, but most people who aren't conservatives can see the writing on the wall. I mean when a conversation about America (any conversation) will almost always cycle back to blaming Obama, that tells you the right has an unhealthy obsession with being counter to the dems and Obama and not actually coming up with their own ideas.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The GOP is on course to literally destroy the entire health care industry. I imagine repealing the ACA will put a bunch of health insurance companies out of business (I know good riddance right? I'm sure the hundreds of employees that work for those companies won't agree there though). Hospitals and other heath providers would then suffer because they make much of their money off of insurance payments. It's going to be a disaster of a domino effect that will leave much of the country without health insurance or adequate means to get healthy.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So, does that mean the pre-existing clause will come back? I have hypertension so they won't pay for anything to do with that condition, i.e. strokes or I go to a high risk pool, again?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Hey, I'm ALL for fixing the ACA. Let's do it! But repealing it? HA! If you think paying taxes for not having health insurance is bad? Just wait.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

The measure guts the law by repealing authority for the federal government to run healthcare exchanges, and scrapping subsidies to help people afford plans bought through those exchanges. It zeros out the penalties on individuals who do not buy insurance and employers who do not offer health insurance.

thehill.com...

it doesn't do away with the mandates, it just zeros out the penalties......
so they take away the exchanges and subsidies, but still say that you are mandated to have the insurance, but well, there's no penalties for not having it....
can they add a one and a few zeros at a later date to the penalty? just wondering here...since the mandates were originally liked by the republican party.... maybe they'll throw us in jail for not having it, na, that would kind of kill some businesses when all their employees don't show up for work...
odd why not just do away with the mandate, instead of remove it's teeth?

the bill also defunds planned parenthood by the way....wonder if it also done away with the birth control in insurance policies...don't see it mentioned.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
oh, my bad, it does repeal the mandates....
sorry...

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Days after top House Republicans asked President Obama to expand a provision in the Affordable Care Act, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) admitted on Wednesday that the ACA incorporates provisions that Republicans “have always been talking about,” including solutions he himself proposed in 2009.
During an appearance on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Ryan singled out state-based exchanges and high-risk insurance pools, both of which Democrats included in the final law after months of negotiations with Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee.

Link

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
So, does that mean the pre-existing clause will come back? I have hypertension so they won't pay for anything to do with that condition, i.e. strokes or I go to a high risk pool, again?

If the ACA is repealed, yes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join