It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmaker Proposes Making Guns As Difficult To Get As Abortions

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Not only, but most people don't throw the gun away after they buy it.

Yeah, but you're assuming that they didn't immediately murder someone (or many ones) with that gun after purchase.

Isn't that what all people buy guns for, anyhow?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Just answer one question.

Who should decide whether or not men should be allowed to have a vasectomy? Because those sperm are ALIVE and they are the beginning of human life. If not allowed to develop, that's millions of babies that will never be born.

Terrible comparison--a sperm is no more a human being than is an unfertilized egg.

I'm not saying that women can't choose to undergo tubal ligation, as that's not murdering a developing human being unique in its own DNA make-up.

In fact, wouldn't it be better to get one's tubes tied if you don't want to be pregnant? I'm not saying that all aborted pregnancies are planned, by any means, but we all know how biology works, what with the mixing of penises and vaginas and what a likely result could be.

But you know what, after discussing it with my wife, I'll be undergoing a vasectomy at the turn of the new year. It's called personal responsibility since we don't want to have any more than the two children that we already have.

Your ridiculous comparison would mean that I'm killing my future unfertilized children. Do you see how asinine that is?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Your body is yours.

Your fetus' body is its own, regardless of whether or now it's attached to you temporarily.

Can individual of a Siamese twin kill the other one, just because they're attached?

You and I differ on what we consider an individual human. To each their own.

Best Regards.

(and you double-posted this...well, the website did)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: intrptr

Not only, but most people don't throw the gun away after they buy it.

Yeah, but you're assuming that they didn't immediately murder someone (or many ones) with that gun after purchase.

Isn't that what all people buy guns for, anyhow?

Shooting at the range, hunting and collecting aren't crimes. Also investing, hobby, heritage, security, firearms are as American as automobiles.

But we could arrest all the firearms and people would still try and find a way to take as many people with them in a frenzy of self hate… with cars.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Can't live without me? Doesn't have a say. Sorry. And the ethical considerations go far, far deeper and the slope is much slippier than some are willing to admit.

But back on topic, is anything this lawmaker is proposing unreasonable?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

This bozo is not going to win any more elections, that is for sure, now that the FBI is calling San Bernardino a terrorist act inspired by ISIS, for the contraire now is going to be a lot of neighbors vigilantes armed to the teeth.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This thread has it all. Abortion and gun control? Its like a super thread. Or like when Clapton formed Cream.

If I liked popcorn, I'd have a huge bag of it sitting right next to me.

It's just my opinion (and I'm not the hugest gun person either) ... but I honestly doubt most people get angry, or decide to kill someone and run out to buy the gun to do it. I would imagine that when someone murders someone else or goes on a rampage, they've owned their gun for a while beforehand. I don't think waiting is really going to stop many "spur of the moment" murders.

A gun is a lasting thing. You can buy one and 20 years later use it in a murder. Waiting to get that gun didn't prevent the murder 20 years later.

Waiting to have an abortion might actually change your mind. You might find out that someone you know wants to adopt it or something, who knows? Once the abortion is done, it's done.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I know! OMG I got so excited I jumped up and down and ran to my laptop.

All in all, I think people need more training. i've seen what's out there on the streets in possession of weapons,, the non-chalant ways they wave them around, how they screech or giggle when they touch them, how little control they have over them. Classes aren't even mandatory here in GA. And all this scares me far, far move than almost anything else.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

(You don't have to make that argument with me...I was being sarcastic in my statement)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
All in all, I think people need more training. i've seen what's out there on the streets in possession of weapons,, the non-chalant ways they wave them around, how they screech or giggle when they touch them, how little control they have over them. Classes aren't even mandatory here in GA. And all this scares me far, far move than almost anything else.

I agree about the training...hell, even experts need more training all the time, or they lose the skills that they have acquired and perfected. And it may surprise you, but I do think that, unless you have proof of proficiency and training in a handgun, a permit applicant should have to take a class that, at minimum, addresses state gun laws, the most common scenarios where one may be tempted to use their firearm, teardown and reassembly of your weapon, and firing at a target to prove efficiency with the deadly tool. To me, that seems as reasonable as requiring a driving test in order for the state to permit you to drive a potentially deadly vehicle.

Other than that, though, I'd love some proof of this description of yours--I live in a commonwealth where open carry is legal and CCDW permits are a "shall issue" item. I have never seen anyone out in public waiving around their guns, screeching and giggling when they handle them, or have little control over their weapons. I have to believe that (a) you're either being disingenuous in your description or (b) you live in a place full of idiots, shouldn't base your baseline average of American gun carriers on those around you, and should move. Immediately. It sounds like you live in a Benny Hill episode about the old west or something.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Waiting to have an abortion might actually change your mind. You might find out that someone you know wants to adopt it or something, who knows? Once the abortion is done, it's done.

Kind of hard to take back bullets, too.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: intrptr

(You don't have to make that argument with me...I was being sarcastic in my statement)

Okay, sorry. For others, then. (trys to remember this)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join