It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the 'Oh This is a GREAT Idea Category': Pakistan Claims to be Trying to buy the F-35

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What a silly question...

Of course I haven't.

The Levi is, by the name, Israeli? I know the J-10 is Chinese, right? By inference? They're in each others pockets?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The Lavi was an attempt by IAI to develop a single engine fourth generation fighter, to be the main Israeli Air Force fighter, and to be exported. It was predicted to be huge on the export market. It was killed after the Israeli public and US pushed back.

As of 2012 two of the three prototypes were preserved, the third, as far as I've ever heard, disappeared. There were a lot of rumors that they sent it to China, fueled by a Russian engineer that said he was told that by some Chinese engineers. China denies the allegations, pointing to other earlier designs, but the two aircraft are externally almost identical to each other, with minor differences.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Wound up Google searching "Lavi vs J-10" and came back with a lot of good comparison images. The similarities are pretty close. I was surprised!

However, I don't think that we'll wind up selling the F-35 to Pakistan. Sounds like the Pakistani military was just puffing out their chest, making exorbitant claims of future might. They know they're going to lag behind India sooner than later.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   
And because chinese have a F-35 clone it means that the US gave it to them?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: asen_y2k

The S400 is one reason that Pakistan needs to at least stay close to India. Pakistan has a few Block 52+ F-16s, but not enough to make a significant difference. They won't see a major increase in their capabilities until the J-10 arrives in numbers.

Nothing they have, or are getting will stand much of a chance against the S400, unless they get a significant upgrade to their EW capabilities or a Fifth Gen aircraft.

All of what you mention costs big money. There is no matching India at this moment. I think the best option is to develop more advanced nukes and better delivery systems to counter what ever tech India gets. This will stop India dead in its track.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Why not Iran has one up and flying....

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Last I heard they wanted to sell them to the Saudis. ........may as well hand some over to ISIS...

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Let them buy the Russian or Chinese junk.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: anzha may as well hand some over to ISIS...

Only way the ISIS will be able to use a F35 is by installing those big guns on top of it and use donkeys to pull them around.
edit on 4/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

My point still stands the Saudis should get F all from us.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

When China has an identical copy and a prototype is missing, you can get on your high horse there.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Let me second this from my own days as a defense contractor.

The ally Zaph points out had a test facility for the joint project we were working. They had a scheduling screw up(*) and the American personnel were present when the Chinese personnel showed up. It was not a tour.

Those same allies had to be watched constantly while at our test facility because they'd get lost. 5 miles away from the test cell. In the desert. Inside sensitive building. Yeah right, MFer.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

The whole Mordechai Vanunu/Dimona affair is quite telling. Got to hand it to the Israeli's they don't play around.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

We had to build a separate building for the French 'partners' working on FOAS. Americans wouldn't do any business with the French in earshot.

It seems to have gone quiet in Pakistan, have they stopped harbouring AQ?

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

I don't blame them. A few years ago they were at an exercise involving F-22s and they had one aircraft at all times just lurking around the edges grabbing all the ELINT data it could.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join