It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the 'Oh This is a GREAT Idea Category': Pakistan Claims to be Trying to buy the F-35

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

It has been revealed by Chief of the Air Staff (CAS) Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman while talking exclusively with The News here on Wednesday evening. He said that Pakistan wouldn’t lag behind the countries of the region in obtaining the fifth generation planes and it has opened negotiations with the US manufacturers for exploring options of buying single engine multirole F-35 viewed as the plane of the next decade.

link.

I cannot think of any way this would be a good idea.

You might as well package one up and give it to the Chinese General who joked he only wanted one F-35. Its worse than selling these to the Israelis.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Oh come on. What could POSSIBLY go wrong with this idea.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Alot of our allies would rather use other effective F series aircraft with a fraction of the price tag. I can't imagine we a would even humor selling it to them even if they coughed up the dough. Though I don't know, just speculating, but zaphod will probably chime in soon with some wisdom on this.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Pakistan needs a Fifth Gen, and the best one out there is the F-35. India is getting the FGFA based on the Russian T-50. If Pakistan wants to keep parity with India they have to get their own. The options are limited to the F-35, T-50, or J-31.

The J-31 is still fairly early in its development, the T-50 isn't living up to its promises, and the F-35B has reached IOC, and the other two have built a lot of momentum and are moving forward well.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Woof, I'd rather India get the F-35, but I guess it's not my call. Just don't like the idea of developing air superiority and then just profiting off of it to iffy allies. Wouldn't be surprised if one slipped into China for reverse engineering.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Oh I hate the idea of Pakistan getting them, and the odds of this deal even being considered are so slim it's probably not funny. But they have to do something to keep parity with India.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Oh I hate the idea of Pakistan getting them, and the odds of this deal even being considered are so slim it's probably not funny. But they have to do something to keep parity with India.

Join the rest of modern society and stop giving other countries pause in helping them.

That would be my suggestion of what they can do in the near future, that will avoid many problems in the long run.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's going to come down to a huge change if they want to be able to keep parity with other nations in the region, especially India. Pakistan is coming to a crossroads, the questions are will they see it, and if they do, which way will they jump.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Pakistan needs a Fifth Gen, and the best one out there is the F-35. India is getting the FGFA based on the Russian T-50. If Pakistan wants to keep parity with India they have to get their own. The options are limited to the F-35, T-50, or J-31.

The J-31 is still fairly early in its development, the T-50 isn't living up to its promises, and the F-35B has reached IOC, and the other two have built a lot of momentum and are moving forward well.

If Pakistan ever gets the F35, the first thing they will do is, give it to China to copy the technology. Pakistan is much closer to China than the US. Moreover Pakistan does not have the money to buy the F35, and if they did, it would be given to them by China in order to get their hands on that plane. Hence its a bad idea overall.
edit on 3/12/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

I didn't say it was a good idea, only that they have to have a Fifth Gen, and the F-35 is the best option of the only three options.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I didn't say it was a good idea, only that they have to have a Fifth Gen, and the F-35 is the best option of the only three options.

I have doubts about that. 5th gen fighters cost huge money which Pakistan does not have. Parity with India at this stage is impossible. I beleive Pakistans defence budget is around $8-10 billion, while Indias is $50 billion. Their best bet would be asymetrical advantage over India. India as far as I know are going ahead with two different concepts of 5th gen. One is a medium fighter which they are developing on their own and the other is a heavy one in joint development with Russia. And i read about a new deal between India and Russia to buy the S-400 system.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

The S400 is one reason that Pakistan needs to at least stay close to India. Pakistan has a few Block 52+ F-16s, but not enough to make a significant difference. They won't see a major increase in their capabilities until the J-10 arrives in numbers.

Nothing they have, or are getting will stand much of a chance against the S400, unless they get a significant upgrade to their EW capabilities or a Fifth Gen aircraft.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
It's ONLY 35 Billion Dollars! What a ridiculous waste of money! 35 BILLION DOLLARS!

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I don't see why.

I'd sooner trust India than the Paki's. In fact, as an ally against China, India is certainly a better bet than Pakistan...God alone knows what sort of backroom deals China has with Pakistan.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I'd rather see an influx in education and isolationism. But I'm a realist, what a shame. Imagine if we focused on our selves rather than policing the world, maybe people wouldn't be aggressive towards us. But than again, I may be a dreamer

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I wasn't advocating for them to get the F-35 there. Only that they have to do something to keep parity. They have three choices to do that, meaning their options are seriously limited.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I know you're not. But others will. It's insane that we're trusting, or might trust, Pakistan with this sort of tech. They're the dodgiest "allies" we have, up to and including Saudi Arabia. OK, they're sharing top billing...#1 and #1a...as least trust-worthy ally.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Oddly I'd trust them slightly more than other "allies" in the region.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Who would that be?

Iraq? Afghanistan? Who else is there? Israel? None of the others I would exactly call "allies", save maybe for the moment.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Have you ever looked at the J-10 and the Lavi? The Lavi was using a lot of assistance from Lockheed and the F-16 program. Almost the only difference between the Lavi and the J-10 is the intake shape.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join