It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record levels of Fukushima radiation detected off West Coast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Can't wait to see an article stating record lows when it comes to Fukushima, but alas we'll all probably be gone long before. It's nice to see the scientists can use this "natural" disaster to their advantage to advance humanities understanding of most things oceanic.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
if this data point is 1600 miles off the coast of San Fran, what does it have to do with desalination in Carlsbad? How well-versed are you in radioactive isotopes and the metrics for measuring them? Moreover, the thresholds of contamination and the effects resulting from said contamination? Context is key.

From the original source....

but is still more than 500 times lower than US government safety limits for drinking water,

Just fear-mongering.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

what exactly do you want me to explain - and more important - will you take heed ?

you state that you believe mr gunderson - despite the fact you do not understand his claims - so why ???????????

and more critically - the reason you reject the japanese govts claims - is invalid

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Have you ever heard of the oath to "tell the truth, the whole truth...."

He's telling the truth, but not the whole truth. Most of what he said in the video is true, but it's out of perspective of the whole truth. For example he cites a huge number of tanker trucks of contaminated water being dumped into the environment, which is true. But what he doesn't spell out is exactly how contaminated this water is.

This is critical information because for example if the water has 1000 times more concentrated contamination, you need 1000 times less tanker trucks of contaminated water to have the same effect, and vice versa. Yes that's a lot of tanker trucks of contaminated water and even Tepco has admitted such leakage, but how big is the ocean and how much will this be diluted in the ocean?

All the numbers I've seen have suggested the biggest problem was immediately off the coast of Japan where concentrations were the highest, and you wouldn't have wanted to eat some of the contaminated fish in that part of the ocean. The rest of the ocean has radioactivity from naturally occurring sources to a small degree, and possibly even some radioactivity leftover from the nuclear bomb tests performed before the nuclear test ban treaty.

If you want more balanced information that's not fear-mongering, I suggest watching the two videos linked in the opening post of this thread, which are both accurate and more balanced than Arnie Gunderson's bias:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2015124 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

what exactly do you want me to explain - and more important - will you take heed ?

you state that you believe mr gunderson - despite the fact you do not understand his claims - so why ???????????

and more critically - the reason you reject the japanese govts claims - is invalid

So you do not understand it either.... The for the clarification

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Thank you for the that I will check it out a little later when my chores are completed .....

And thank you for the explanation it does make sense and you are right missing critical bits of information is a big fail....I guess my suspicion arises from things like gag orders.....

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ringdingdong
Is eleven atomic disintegration's per cubed meter of seawater dangerous?

If so, please provide references.

I found this just now.

For example, the roughly 0.0169 g of potassium-40 present in a typical human body produces approximately 266,000 disintegrations per minute, which equates to about 4,400 disintegrations per second or 4.4 kBq of activity.
Becquerel

How much is that in banana equivalent dose (BED).
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 4-12-2015 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Right here.

Since a typical banana contains about half a gram of potassium,[5] it will have an activity of roughly 15 Bq.

If you drink a meter cubed of the radioactive seawater you will take the equivalent of a small banana, except you will dehydrate first and have renal failure.

So maybe best stick to a bunch of banana lots of calories cheap price.

edit on 4-12-2015 by ringdingdong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I shall NOT thank you for lying

but the clarification of your dishonesty was appreciated

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

I shall NOT thank you for lying

but the clarification of your dishonesty was appreciated

Wow what kind of rubbish deflective answer is that? You could just admit you have no clue whatsoever

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

oh FFS - get a grip

in my first post i asked you 3 very pertinant questions

you elect to ignore them and accuse me of " deflection " - thats simply priceless

answer the questions and i will respond

if you continue to lie ..............................

top topics

<< 1   >>

join