It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are no giants in the original bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Pretty much all the giants mentioned in the King James Version of the bible, are the result of a mistranslation. As most of you giant believers are only using your belief to support your faith, you should know that your version of the Bible is in error.
To prove that, here is every King James version mention of Giants, posted above its original Hebrew version.

Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men.

Genesis 6:4
The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them; the same were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.

no giants, just Nephilim

Numbers 13:33
And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshopper, and so we were in their sight.

Numbers 13:33
And there we saw the Nephilim, the sons of Anak, who come of the Nephilim; and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.'

Nephilim again, no giants

Deuteronomy 2:10-11
The Emims dwelt therein in times past, a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims; Which also were accounted giants.

Deuteronomy 2:10-11
The Emim dwelt therein aforetime, a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakim; 11 these also are accounted Rephaim, as the Anakim; but the Moabites call them Emim.

Rephaim and Anakim, no giants
You should have noticed in this passage that, the Anakim, are described as tall, along with the Rephaim, both of whom are called Emim by the Moabites

Deuteronomy 2:20-21
That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time.... A people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims; but the LORD destroyed them.

Deuteronomy 2:20-21
That also is accounted a land of Rephaim: Rephaim dwelt therein aforetime; but the Ammonites call them Zamzummim, 21 a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakim; but the LORD destroyed them before them; and they succeeded them, and dwelt in their stead

Rephaim again who the text merely describes as tall , not giants

Deuteronomy 3:11
For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was ... nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it.

For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of the Rephaim; behold, his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbah of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man.--

which means his bed was 9 feet long, my bed is 7 feet long, however I am not, notice it doesn't say anywhere that Og was 9 feet tall, you'd think it would right ? no giants, just a big bed

Joshua 12:4
And the coast of Og king of Bashan, which was of the remnant of the giants.

Joshua 12:4
And the border of Og king of Bashan, of the remnant of the Rephaim, who dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei,

thats those Rephaim again described as tall, not giants

Joshua 18:16
The valley of the son of Hinnom, and which is in the valley of the giants.

Joshua 18:16
And the border went down to the uttermost part of the mountain that lieth before the Valley of the son of Hinnom, which is in the vale of Rephaim northward; and it went down to the Valley of Hinnom, to the side of the Jebusite southward, and went down to En-rogel.

oops no giants again, just those tall Rephaim

1 Samuel 17:4
Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.

1 Samuel 17:4
Goliath, of Gath, whose height was four cubits and a span

that's 6'7, that's not giant either

so here's the thing, given that the tallest claimed person in the bible was Goliath, who in the original version is 6' 7", All the rest, the Rephaim, the Anakim, must have been shorter. Which brings them well into the normal human range, when you consider that the average height of a red sea pedestrian back in those days was about 5'2

I am 6'5, which one of you Christians wants to call me a giant

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Perhaps the Hebrew version is incorrect.....just sayin.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
In other words, "giant" is a relative term, meaning "taller than us", and the height difference gets exaggerated in imagination.
With comparatively isolated populations, and differences in available nutrition (the occupants of the Fertile Crescent would probably be better fed than the desert wanderers), the contrasts between "giants" and "dwarves" would arise easily enough within ordinary humanity.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but the Hebrew version predates the english version by a well over a thousand years. So it would actually be the KJV which would be incorrect.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I know, that's why I stuck out my tongue...I was being sarcastic. Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
In other words, "giant" is a relative term, meaning "taller than us", and the height difference gets exaggerated in imagination.
With comparatively isolated populations, and differences in available nutrition (the occupants of the Fertile Crescent would probably be better fed than the desert wanderers), the contrasts between "giants" and "dwarves" would arise easily enough within ordinary humanity.

Kind of, giant is a term used by the translators of the King James version of the bible, because they didn't know what any of the nouns meant. So using the descriptions of "tall" which accompanied the texts, they just translated them all as "giants". Because they believed that giants existed and because it sounds better to say, the Hebrews defeated a tribe of giants, rather than, the Hebrews slaughtered all the tall people.

Christians on the whole aren't even aware that these translations are different, which is odd, because they frequently listen to sermons based on the Old Testament on a Sunday, ironically, you don't hear a sermon based on the New Testament from a Rabbi, do you. which is most of the problem, because Christians don't realise that there are no biblical giants, they are quite happy to embarrass themselves by looking for them, fabricating them and lying about them to support what they think is their faith, but which is actually an error in translation.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Time travelling giants could have done it

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
They might be giants.

Make a little birdhouse in your soul.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Sorry, still having trouble recognizing sarcasm.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
To be honest, I think belief in the giants as not of our species is something of a minority interest within Christianity.
Nothing in the mainstream doctrines really depends on it.
On the other hand, the believers in "alien origins" are going to be up in arms, because you strike at one of their favourite pieces of evidence. Don't you know that the giants were visitors from Orion (or somewhere)?

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

To be honest, I think belief in the giants as not of our species is something of a minority interest within Christianity.
Nothing in the mainstream doctrines really depends on it.
On the other hand, the believers in "alien origins" are going to be up in arms, because you strike at one of their favourite pieces of evidence. Don't you know that the giants were visitors from Orion (or somewhere)?

Yup, there are three threads based on Biblical giants on the front page of this forum started by Christians and numerous mentions of them in other threads
Who built the pyramids - giants
who built the large walls at Baalbek - giants
Who makes it up as they go along, people who believe in giants because their religion tells them to
Research, yanno, its a thing

edit on 3-12-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Point taken, but arguably conspiracy theorists count as a minority.
The average Christian in the non-American pew won't be bothered.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Big deal!

**crickets**

I'd like to hear what Hebraic scholars have to say on this subject.

I'm leaning towards tall genetics compared to short genes in ancient earth.

For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of the Rephaim;

Seems like there was a distinction of height with a culture or bloodline at least. But everywhere else it appears that they were just taller than the rest.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I totally agree!

The issue is probably one of translation.

The original word "Nephilim" probably translates as "fallen ones" (from the word "nephi" = fall). Others argue that it means "those that call others to fall down".

When translated into Latin (for the Vulgate) they used the word "Gigantes". The gigantes were the children of Gaea in Greek mythology, also known as the Titans, a half-breed; part human, part God who opposed the gods of Olympus.

Of course, "gigantes" sounds like "giants" in English and so the wording stuck.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Point taken, but arguably conspiracy theorists count as a minority.
The average Christian in the non-American pew won't be bothered.

I realise that, which is why I'm posting it here, rather than the church notice board

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

There are also no giants in New York.

Contrary to what the internet - and many, many, many reports - would have you believe.

But I suppose those who think there were giant in the past also assume these guys are 20ft tall?

www.giants.com...

And I think that proves the point?

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Genesis 6:4 (Original KJV):
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that,
when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and
they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which
were of old, men of renown.

Bible Probe Note: Note the words; "and also after that". This
probably tells of two "irruptions" by Satan's seed. One before Noah's
time and another after the flood. They were called “The Watchers” in The Book of Enoch.

Their descendents, called Nephilim (translated "giants"), were monsters of iniquity; and being superhuman in size and in their wicked character, had to be destroyed.

The Hebrew word Nephelim (plural of nephel) (Nephilim) literally means "rejects". The Hebrew plural for Nephites would be "Nephi'im".

Sounds like they are one in the same. Just different translations.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This stuff used to puzzle me back in the days when I took everything so literally. One has to change one's thinking in order to understand such things. The giant or Nephilim were what we would call wise men or learned natural scientists or something along the lines of philosopher maximus. They were the thinkers of their day. They were the ''fallen'' ones in the sense that they were consciously existing in the lower matter. The quote says "in" the Earth. The fallen ones were thinking big thoughts in their invisible world of higher consciousness while simultaneously living in their earth bodies. These are metaphorical stories you are reading. Noah's ark was his pregnant wife. She is big as a mountain after 40 days and nights of gestation. You got it. Days and nights meaning weeks. Life came out of her. First the water subsided and then life came out. William Cooper's UFO sighting is a coded reference to the Sun rising out of the water. Jesus "walked" on water, was seen high up in a cloud, etc. Jihad is a personal spiritual battle for understanding and rebirth. Christians are born again. The Sun turns around and moves the other way perceptually and noticeably in about three days. Jihad is rewarded with 72 virgins. You get it? Virgin birth. Rebirth. 72 hours equals 3 days. Jesus in the tomb 3 days. These are all very interesting stories. Open your mind, take out the gray matter and wrap it around your skull in the form of a mothership carrying Farrakhanian insight. The LOLz shall continue until you understand. And then you can leave this place, grasshopper.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Original bible? It's just a translation and many Christians know the King James version is full of errors. Not all Christians use the King James version.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join