It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Cygnus Spacecraft Launch Thursday May Be Visible from US East Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If you live along the eastern seaboard of the US, you might be able to see the glow of this launch tonight that happens at about 5:55 pm.

Since it is using an Atlas V rocket for it's first stage, the first 4 minutes of burn will be quite bright and visible from 500 miles away, so even if there are clouds, you might be able to make it out.

Linky with more info

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful
Just set an alarm, thanks!

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Launch is in Florida. So, if you live in the bottom third of the eastern seaboard.
edit on 3-12-2015 by ISawItFirst because: changed to third. more accurate maybe.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

Actually, it might be visible further up the coast than that due to it's flight path running almost parallel to the east coast.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

According to the space.com article linked in the OP:

Where to look

Southeast U.S. coastline: Anywhere north of Cape Canaveral, viewers should initially concentrate on the south-southwest horizon. If you are south of the Cape, look low toward the north-northeast. If you're west of the Cape, look low toward the east-northeast.

Mid-Atlantic region: Look toward the south about 3 to 6 minutes after launch.

Northeast: Focus your gaze low toward the south-southeast about 6 to 8 minutes after launch.

Nova Scotia and Newfoundland: Concentrate your gaze low toward the south-southwest about 8 to 10 minutes after launch.

For most viewers, depending upon your distance from the coastline, the rocket will be relatively low on the horizon — about 5 to 15 degrees. (Reminder: Your fist on an outstretched arm covers about 10 degrees of sky.) So be sure there are no buildings or trees to obstruct your view.

It's relatively clear here today, so I'm going to go outside in a few minutes and see what I can see.

Also live on space.com NASA TV.

-dex

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Yep. I was disappointed and jumped the gun before reading the entire article. Still, it will be best viewed from florida Georgia or the carolinas.

Thanks fir the correction

T- 6 minutes

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

True. I'll be happy if I can even see a fast moving little yellow dot in the Southern sky. But that'll be cool enough.

Launch time currently postponed to 6:10 EST.

-dex

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Launch scrubbed due to bad weather.

Rescheduled for 5:33 pm EST tomorrow evening.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Launch scrubbed due to bad weather.

Rescheduled for 5:33 pm EST tomorrow evening.

Good, so it wasn't just my ineptitude.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Scrubbed again because of high ground-level winds.

Trying again tomorrow (Saturday) at 5:10PM with 30 minute launch window. 30% chance of favorable weather for launch.

-dex

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Now set for 4:44 PM EST on Sunday, December 6th, 2015. 40% chance of favorable weather.

Universe Today

-dex

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Here's my video of the launch:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Oh well, at least they sent it

new topics

top topics

join