It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost two decades in, ‘South Park’ remains a relevant critical vehicle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

n case you aren’t keeping up with what’s happening at Yale lately (and with all the recent headlines, it’s okay if you haven’t), there’s been major fallout from a sh*tstorm involving the insensitivity and over-policing of Halloween costumes. It started when a few students complained that university administrators were being overly strict on what and what not to wear. A professor addressed the issue with a carefully articulated email, and students immediately demanded her resignation. The professor’s crime? Taking a stance that was intellectual, not emotional. (Shocking, right? Coming from someone who teaches at an institute of higher learning?) But mostly, she had the gall to ask, “Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a little bit obnoxious ... a little bit inappropriate or provocative or, yes, offensive?”

The answer is yes, thankfully, every Wednesday night on Comedy Central (or anytime you prefer on Hulu) when a new episode of South Park premieres. Currently wrapping up its 19th season, South Park has stuck it out way longer than anyone could’ve possibly predicted. In fact, all those Yalies telling a faculty member to “be quiet!” and “step down!” on YouTube have never known a world without Eric Cartman. By any law, a show nearing its third decade should’ve jumped multiple sharks by now. Yet South Park feels particularly sharp, wicked, rude, gross and fun this year.

I'd go so far as to say this season has been their best, so far. This whole story is killing me because it's so on point. Everything they rip deserves to be ripped and Stone and Parker really have their fingers on reality and, like good comedians, they are showing us how really screwed up reality is. Social commentary, satire, whatever you want to call it but they have been hitting every episode out of the park this season.

Good but short article from a local rag that I'm glad I found. I wanted to start a thread on just this but had no ammo just my opinion. Now someone else has said it(possibly others just I haven't read those) so here's the thread.

Have fun, you guys.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
i think they get away with it due to using a lot of euphemisms to get to their point. Even though Cartman does say some harsh things. for example, when i seen the episode called "coon" i thought WTF?? no way can they call it that...after watching it it begins to make sense. . they certainly know how to grab peoples attention.

love south park, love every episode and this seasons is most definitely up their for best season.
making their episodes in 1 week really gives them the advantage of keeping up to date with current affairs

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

Yeah, I remember the Elian Gonzales thing lo these many years ago. They did the episode, I believe, two weeks after it happened. However they do it and I should look it up but am being lazy, they do it quickly which in this day and age is a good thing.

I don't know about euphemisms, as the song about Yelpers had none of that. Sure, they couch some things in slang but really, they are all out on everyone and everything. As that biotch Martha used to say, "And that's a good thing". Funny how they are right about, oh, pretty much everything.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Caitlynn Jenner accidently running over people wherever she went was killing me. The slow build up to the conclusive episodes have made the early episodes somewhat lacking. However, it seems to be paying off with the latest episode.

I like that their entire theme has been PC culture this season. I totally agree with you. Their comedy is still grounded with a honest sense of reality.

I know some people who hate the show because of how crude it can be. Yet, if you like comedy, satire and adult cartoons. South Park is the absolute best.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Everytime i get america critical, thinking how effed up is a country able to get? a southpark episode will always
make me think, well they are not half bad afterall atleast the freedom of speach and the many brilliant comedians making good use of it is a very redeeming factor.
Just too bad they have so much material to work with.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Been watching South Park since I was a kid and had to watch it at a friends cause me parents wouldn't let me and this season has to be one of their best yet. I feel like they finally went all out.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The current season is exceptional. I've seen several city fall to gentrification, and the "joke" about long time locals being priced out of their homes by the influx of new people and "culture" is right on the money (no pun intended).

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
They are knocking it out of the park this season so far with me. I love the continuity and the direction the series has taken. This plotline regarding ads and opening the eyes of people to media deception, is absolutely amazing.

And I LOVE how they have Jenner hitting someone with a car every chance they get. It's excellent that they are driving this point home.

I can't wait to see how the rest of the season develops.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
South Park is the greatest satire of our era. Nuff said.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I love that it is an equal opportunity offender, regularly ridiculing both sides of the political spectrum.

new topics

top topics

join