It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: President George Bush Gives $10,000 Personal Donation to Tsunami Aid

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
$10,000.00 is but a penny of his wealth. It's like me giving $1.00. Anything to make his image look better. I'm not for Bush or against, our choices are always limited.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Evidently, I'm one of the few members on this site who considers ten thousand dollars to be a lot of money for a personal donation. If George is donating money for show alone, why didn't he give more? If he was just trying to prove how cheap he is he could have done that with a sawbuck. This thread is nothing but more nonsense from the peanut gallery.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Evidently, I'm one of the few members on this site who considers ten thousand dollars to be a lot of money for a personal donation.

This is in part why Bush's PR buffoons would have suggested a donation figure to be meaningful to the LCD without casting him into another perceived level of wealth.

They, like Bush, are abject failures, but the "donation" can still be applauded if you choose to. Let's track where it goes and what benefit ensues from it through the wisely selected channels that it reaches.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

How much have any of you donated? I'd be my left you-know-what that most of you ultra-critical hypocrits haven't given a dime.

Hey Pistol,
I'm lucky enough to have a job. I get by. Not much gravy money, but my bills are paid, and there is food on the table. I have donated as much as I can. Not much, but to me it was a true sacrifice. I only wish that I could give 10 grand. That's almost half of what I make a year. I gave $148. To me that was alot of money I could really use.
150 thousand people + : dead. Many children. Jeeezus.

Please do NOT categorize everyone here in your predisposed context.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by stephenkingfan1]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The $10,000 he gave doesn't bother me as much as the $25 Million that our government is spending on his inauguration ceremony.

I would much prefer to see that $25 Million invested in disaster relief
or perhaps voting machine with a paper trail.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
ooooo, ten thousand?. I bet he's broke now. Give me a break....Sandra Bullock gave a million...should we be praising her as president now then?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
it isn't like he will go hungry now...

But yet ALOT of people over there will? Slander me for a one liner if you want to but this called for a one liner.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'm sure President Bush donates money to several charites throughout the year. I remember in 2000 when ALGORE was running and his tax returns were released. Bush donated far more than ALGORE to charity. So much more it was embarrassing to ALGORE.

To put down someone for donating money, whatever the amount is mean spirited, and downright hatefull. It might actually hinder other donations, because no one wants to look "cheap".

[edit on 5-1-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I'm not sure the amount we give is as important as the giving. Who are WE to judge how much another man gives?
Is this a drive to raise relief funds for the tsumani victims, or a *ing contest to see who gives what?
The whole "how much" thing is really becoming tiresome.

Becoming tiresome? Give me a break. Bush could and should give alot more than 10 measly grand. Hell, I could give 10,000 (I would be broke because it would be half my salary...so don't give me "then why don't you) but would the press be so adamant about me giving it? Hell no....# BUSH and his measly 10 grand. If I was one of those people I would shove it back up his ass just for the small jesture.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Evidently, I'm one of the few members on this site who considers ten thousand dollars to be a lot of money for a personal donation. If George is donating money for show alone, why didn't he give more? If he was just trying to prove how cheap he is he could have done that with a sawbuck. This thread is nothing but more nonsense from the peanut gallery.

really Grady....If he wasn't doing it for show alone, then why wouldn't it be more? He obviously has it....or do you think everyone in America has a Texas ranch? Has a billionaire father? Has owned and failed at sooo many businesses it doesn't count? Well maybe he just failed at one too many and now he's dirt poor...poor bastard.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
So the prez gave 10k huh? That's a large donation for a middle class, working household.

President bush earns 400,000 a year. He also earns an additional 395,000 a year from the Lone Star Trust. His exact net worth is unknown, but quite substantial. Cheney has 18 million in stock options alone, and he promised to give the proceeds to charity. I couldn't find any mention of a Cheney donation. He's probably still trying to figure out how much money he MADE off of the disaster, so he can calculate a fair profit margin on his behalf. He is after all, not a monster. Perhaps a touch monstrous, with all those blind trusts and back door contacts into every element of our country. In my biased, editorial opinion, Cheney is too evil to be anything but human. Look at that grimace! Kerry, like usual, is keeping quiet. He's got plenty of money..just so long as he's not sleeping on the couch and cut off after his less than masculine surrender at the poles. The point of this argument is to prove, once again, they are asking us to tighten our belts and dig deep while hoarding their enormous wealth like fat, greedy trolls.
- www.wsjclassroomedition.com...

In comparison, the band Linkin Park gave $100,000 and action hero Jackie Chan gave $64,000.
channels.netscape.com...

Sandra Bullock reportedly gave 1,000,000. She also gave a million after 9/11.
entertainment.ivillage.com...

Chow Yun Fat gave $HK200,000. That was outside his normal charity work, which is substantial. Chow Yun Fat works harder for his money than any American politician, and he has less of it, but he gives more.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra gave $136,000. They must have TONS of lucrative defense contracts.
jam.canoe.ca...

I'm just trying to put everything in perspective for folks out there. In the end, little of it will matter, because the aid money won't be spent on what it ought to be spent on. Look at what the Red Cross did with 9/11 Donations, completely missappropriated them. And they're saying the amount of aid received this time around, for the tsunami, will dwarf the donations they received from 9/11. What makes anyone think they, or any other charity for that matter, will do anything with the money besides line their own pockets and buy nifty new toys. Unless you have worked with a charity, seen their books, looked them in the eyes, you have no way of knowing where your money really goes. It could end up back in the hands of the government, or in the hands of con artists, sorry that was redundant.

Point being: Use your money to save your own life enhance the life of other individual Human Beings. If Sandra Bullock has a million bucks she wants to give away, let her buy up a bunch of property in the affected areas, build some homes, and give free 99 year lease to as many people as possible. Start an application process and set some people up with houses. Make them concrete domes too, so next time a tsunami lands, the people can just hang out for a while in safety. That's my hat in the ring on this whole charity issue.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin
Give me a break....Sandra Bullock gave a million...should we be praising her as president now then?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
disclaimer: my remarks are NOT directed at Mac. They are directed to the entire "who gave what" crowd, here on ATS and worldwide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enough already!!

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference how much any of us gives or doesn't give if all that we care about is who knows about it.
I really think the money should all be considered anonymous donations. We don't need to know who much the US, France, ACLU, the NRA, Saudi Arabia, Osam binLadin, Catholic Church or Billy Graham donated. This whole thing is really spiralling downward and out of control. This is not about listing who gave what, and having someone trying to outdo the next guy. Charity is NOT about noteriety. Charity is about getting help to those who need it.

I know the media will never let this infamous list of donors and dollar amounts rest, but it is really defeating the spirit of the giving.
IMHO.
And, while I'm at it, I certainly hope that other chariites people normally give to are not allowed to be forgotten. It would be a shame if your local soup kitchen or whatever couldn't make ends meet because everyone was caught up in the tsunami relief effort.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Give me a break....Sandra Bullock gave a million...should we be praising her as president now then?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
disclaimer: my remarks are NOT directed at Mac. They are directed to the entire "who gave what" crowd, here on ATS and worldwide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enough already!!

Great Post! You get a way above vote for that! I got 2 left for the month.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enough already!!

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference how much any of us gives or doesn't give if all that we care about is who knows about it.
I really think the money should all be considered anonymous donations. We don't need to know who much the US, France, ACLU, the NRA, Saudi Arabia, Osam binLadin, Catholic Church or Billy Graham donated. This whole thing is really spiralling downward and out of control. This is not about listing who gave what, and having someone trying to outdo the next guy. Charity is NOT about noteriety. Charity is about getting help to those who need it.

I know the media will never let this infamous list of donors and dollar amounts rest, but it is really defeating the spirit of the giving.
IMHO.
And, while I'm at it, I certainly hope that other chariites people normally give to are not allowed to be forgotten. It would be a shame if your local soup kitchen or whatever couldn't make ends meet because everyone was caught up in the tsunami relief effort.

Truer words have never been spoken. All I have to say.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Correct.

Therefore, George W Bush should be ashamed on two counts.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdude$10,000 - that's less than 7 cents for every person who has died thus far.

I love the math...great point!
Maybe he should give at least $1 for every person that survived plus the cost of a body bag for every person that died.

Actually, I am glad to hear that he donated. I deffinately am not a bush lover. When I donated $100 to save the children I was hoping that he would at least meet that with his own money.

I am sure that he has spent way more than that amount on booze and partying before becoming president. I doubt that he would have come up with a personal donation without his advisors urging him to do so. He is just not that kind of person and has never known hardship so I think that he can not understand it. Maybe he will give more?

Hey, Georgie...many of us are planning on donating over the next few months...how about setting an example?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Whatever Bush gave to the tsunami relief fund was his business. Not ours. To hear this petty "I gave more than you did! Neener neener!" is tiresome and reeks of malice. Do I hear any of you criticizing the amounts given by other world leaders? No, and well you shouldn't. To examine someone's charity is mean-spirited.

I find it truly ironic that some, whose original comment was "No criticism, no story" can suddenly change their tune and be so easily lured by the masses into the feeding frenzy. This board is becoming far too predictable.

:shk:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
He's probably still trying to figure out how much money he MADE off of the disaster, so he can calculate a fair profit margin on his behalf.

hahaha, yeah that's cheney for you...seriously though, it's sad, and most likely true.

Concerning donations...who really gives a #? If you want to make donations because you are trying to help someone, go ahead and donate...you won't be criticized for that. But we don't need the announcement of "Well, I just donated....(Dr. Evil grin with pinky to mouth) ONE MILLION DOLLARS!" Nobody cares. My opinion of someone is not going to change one bit because they donated x amount of money to some charity or relief fund. You can judge someone's character on what they actually do in their life, not how they throw their money around. And let's just say Bush could throw around ALOT more money and not be close to making up for his actions. He could donate his life savings and I still wouldn't think he's a good guy. And yea, he probably did spend more than 10 grand of daddy's money on drugs back in the day when he was a cokehead.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by Shoktek]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
This board is becoming far too predictable.

:shk:

Yes, far too predictable about the selfishness of Bush AND this country. I just heard that we are 4th in disaster funding. And after 9-11 when we got so much aid from other countries for what 3,000 and this is what?....over 1/4 million? Come on. Oh, I forgot....we are spending far too much for inaugurations and war that we can't spare anymore? Give ME a break will ya.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Whatever Bush gave to the tsunami relief fund was his business. Not ours.

Not really, it's PR blunder after PR blunder from his minders who just can't get it right.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join