It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: President George Bush Gives $10,000 Personal Donation to Tsunami Aid

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
President George W. Bush has donated $10,000 of his personal funds to tsunami relief aid organizations of his choice. The White House did not specify which organizations the President donated to, but said the President donated to several charities.

ap.tbo.com
Scott McClellan, White House press secretary, told reporters traveling with Bush to Illinois that the president - himself a multimillionaire - has written checks to several organizations listed on a Web site set up to direct Americans to various reputable charities collecting private contributions for tsunami relief. McClellan would not identify the organizations to which Bush contributed.

Bush has been criticized for not acting quickly enough to provide U.S. funds and other federal assistance to countries hit by the catastrophic Dec. 26 tsunami that killed nearly 150,000 people and devastated Indian ocean communities across southern Asia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No matter what your personal feelings are towards the President or how you feel about the timeliness of American aid to the tsunami efforts, it is heartening to see that our President open his bank account and donate to this cause. Of course there will be criticism that he didn't give enough since he is a multi-millionaire, but critics should realize that he like many of us aren't required to donate, we donate because we want. While I am no fan of President Bush, I do hope that we can all accept his contributions in good faith without bringing our political squabbles into the relief efforts.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
No criticism.

No news.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Somebody's going to have to whip him again, like they must have done after he so boldly stepped-up with 15,000,000 after a couple of days of hoping it would all go away. Of course he's going to get criticized for his measly 10,000. Everybody that knows anything about him and his family know he doesn't give any concern to anyone needing help. But again he tries to dig himself out of a hole by throwing dirt on himself. The true givers seem to be those liberals in hollywood, he so hates.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by kazi]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
miss sandra bullock gave $1 million for the tsunami disaster. previously she gave $1 million for the world trade centre disaster. you cant really call her attention seeking? as for bush? he probably found some spare funds from the presidential run.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
How much of a personal donation did he make to Floridians or the West Indians after the hurricanes? if he did so and it was published, I missed it and apologize in advance for saying that this bit of pr is meant to do nothing more than ingratiate himself with the Muslem community.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
sorry for misleasding you with my story, as you know i don't hold Bush in high standards, but i wanted to write the article unbiased as possible. ATSNN reporters well me mainly strive to be unbiased in my stories

but now in the commentary part, let me say, I think the man should have, and could have digged a little deeper into his fat pockets.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
$10,000. Last of the big time spenders. He probably spent more than that on coc aine as a younger man. I'm not being facetious, he probably did. $10,000 - that's less than 7 cents for every person who has died thus far. Georgey, when will you ever wake up?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Dubya, you presidential imposter, that's not a donation.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's a donation.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I don't like george,
but i almost feel sorry for him... he didn't give this money from the heart (he really didn't need to) he gave it because someone called him selfish... some nobody who doesn't even have a name i can remember... some nameless official just beat the president up by calling him selfish....

george ought to have said "come say that to my face. whimp"

but, due to the fact that he doesn't make his own decisions, his list of advisors ganged up and said... "do something george" do something before they dislike you any more than they do already" (as if that would happen from this deal).

He could have played that different, but oh well.... he is only out 10,000... it isn't like he will go hungry now...

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure the amount we give is as important as the giving. Who are WE to judge how much another man gives?
Is this a drive to raise relief funds for the tsumani victims, or a *ing contest to see who gives what?
The whole "how much" thing is really becoming tiresome.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Is this a drive to raise relief funds for the tsumani victims, or a *ing contest to see who gives what?

The reality is, in public relations and politics, it's the latter.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Micheal Schumacher has given $10 million of his own money to the relief fund, and as rich as he is im sure President Bush has a lot more. Seems a bit like a token gesture to me.
And im not a Bush basher as anyone who has read any of my opinions about the President can see, so please dont say im bashing him it just my personal opinion.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
cheap cheap cheap is the name of his soul

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
10,000?! That's chump change for a president! I know...it's nice that he gave his "own" money, but still...if he cared more about people's lives than his own public image he would have given more. Much much more.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
What a man! What a president!

Another oportunity for St. Bush to make worldwide news for his great heart and giving nature

Nice try.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
How much have any of you donated? I'd be my left you-know-what that most of you ultra-critical hypocrits haven't given a dime. So what if Sandra Bullock donated a couple million dollars, the word is she's an ultra-bitch that snubbed the NY fire fighters she was supposed to meet and greet. Throwing money around doesn't mean anything other than showing the world you have the money to throw around. Bush could donate his entire estate, non-vital organs for transplant, and go over there and build an orphanage with his bare hands and some of you would have something nasty to say.

Get a flippin grip. This whole "my love is a pissing contest" thing is getting real friggin tiresome.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
Bush could donate his entire estate, non-vital organs for transplant, and go over there and build an orphanage with his bare hands and some of you would have something nasty to say.

The point is, no he couldn't.

He has made previous public statements about gaining political capital as his administration's agenda.

George W Bush will never go close to the selfless acts you mention above, so the example is absurd.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah, Pete...I did give. And I gave what I could. Every last cent.

Has Bush done the same? No. He's given a bit of change in an obvious attempt to make people think he isn't the *behind* that he is.

If he gave a hundred thousand or more, I wouldn't feel the same way. But he has more than enough to give a hundred thousand.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm no rich man, I was only able to spare a very small fraction of what many are calling selfish, so I can't say he didn't give enough, $10,000 is alot of money to me. I gave what I could. Money is money and that money can buy ALOT of rice or plastic shelters, I'm glad to see those poor souls get any penny they can. On the other hand, aside from the fact that money is money, it was obviously not coming from the goodness of Bush's heart, but the shifty, public opinion driven minds of his advisors. It reminds me alot of when Arafat gave blood after 9/11. Highly disingenuous. But again, those people could probably care less about politics right now.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Good for him

-Dagger

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join