It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO invites Montenegro to join alliance, first expansion in six years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO invited tiny Montenegro on Wednesday to join the military alliance in its first expansion since 2009, defying Russian warnings that enlargement of the U.S.-led bloc further into the Balkans is "irresponsible" action that undermines trust.

More provocative rhetoric and action from an outdated alliance that just makes tension just like all have usually done.

Reuters

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
A token move, indeed.

Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat...

Good old NATO.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

edit on 3-12-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
So Russia should be able to control who other States ally with?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO invited tiny Montenegro on Wednesday to join the military alliance in its first expansion since 2009, defying Russian warnings that enlargement of the U.S.-led bloc further into the Balkans is "irresponsible" action that undermines trust.

More provocative rhetoric and action from an outdated alliance that just makes tension just like all have usually done.

Reuters

Since Russia has managed to alienate Turkey, they need to find ports that give them access to the Mediterranean without passing through the Bosporus. Montenegro could provide those ports. Putin has proven that he does not think very deeply; this gesture is merely a reminder that he has been making moves without preparing for their consequences.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This has been several years in the making it asked for membership in 2008 and was given an action plan in 2009. Montenegro worked hard to meet NATO standards in those 6 years. Others that want in still have problems and have to wait. Macedonia has the name problem with Greece, that is all that is keeping it out. Bosnia still has military reforms to settle. Georgia still needs reforms and has Russia occupations forces in its territory. Kosovo has lots of work if it wants to meet its 2020 goal of joining. And Sweden and Finland has signed cooperation agreements while they decide on applying to join. Russia's actions have pushed more to want to join sooner.

NATO cooperation agreements with Japan, Australia, South Korea, the Gulf States, Israel, Colombia, EU and the African Union have also expanded NATO's global reach if needed. Ironically before Russia started trying to push around its neighbors NATO was on its death bed.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Outdated?

How do you figure that?

The NATO alliance was founded to curtail a certain ambitious little country called Russia, once the Soviet Union. With a would be Tsar in power making noises upon occasion that greatly resemble the Tsars/Polituburo of old? I'd say it's hardly outdated.

Though, I suspect you'll disagree.

While Montenegro doesn't bring a lot to the table, they do posses warm water ports, something Russia, historically, has always desired greatly. It serves as a gentle reminder to that would be Tsar, that he's being watched.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

How long do you figure it had, before Vlad the wanna be Great started his shananigans, before it would have gone under?

@ a decade, would have been my guess.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Montenegro don't have ports. They have more like a port.

It will be interesting if Montenegro declines. But I doubt they will since the nation is still some how communistic and the leaders of Montenegro are for NATO and so it will be NATO. Just like Croatia joined.

Montenegro

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: saadad

Forgive me, Port.

It is still a warm water port that can't be closed off by blocking a strait.

It's doubtful they'll decline, since they asked to join some years ago, and have tried hard to meet requirements.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

What reaction do you think this provocation is designed to elicit?

new topics

top topics

join