It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star war aftermath: A crime against the English language

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: crazyewok

As for other science fiction writers? Frank Herbet with Dune immediately comes to mind

What did you think of the moment in Dune where Paul Atreides is told of the (supposed) murder of his children, and doesn't show any emotional reaction? Did you think old Frank was writing well there?

I am trying to think back.

Thats the secound book right or the Third? It been 10 years since I have read them.

By that point if I remember corrcetly Paul had changed alot with the wars and politcal fighting he was a shell of what he was.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

The scene I refer to takes place near the end of Dune.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Well, let's start with the roster of gentlefolk who have been writing for the Black Library over the last ten years. Dan Abnett, Graham McNeil, Ben Counter, Aaron Dembski-Bowden... Those fellows and their colleagues come to mind, Dan Abnett most particularly.

And what about Jim Butcher, author of the Dresden Files, aside from his other fantastic works?

Any one of these and many more besides, would have offered up much better than is on offer in the examples provided. Why? Because, to put not too fine of a point on it, none of those authors are known to be really bad at their jobs.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

The scene I refer to takes place near the end of Dune.

I will have to fish the book out when I get home from work as it has been a long long time.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Okay. I get the picture. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I just did that. You'll find the episode in the third chapter from the end, when Gurney Halleck tells Paul that the Harknonnens have raided and destroyed the Fremen hideout.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I just did that. You'll find the episode in the third chapter from the end, when Gurney Halleck tells Paul that the Harknonnens have raided and destroyed the Fremen hideout.

Ahh yeah I have it.

Well its right in the middle of a battle. I took from it that he pushed it to one side so it does not affect his judgement at the time which fits into the fact as the Kwisatz Haderach he is meant to have perfect control over his body and mind.
edit on 3-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Love this comment from the author:

Others have suggested that there may be a campaign by some Legends fangroups to “raid” the book’s reviews to tank its ranking with these one-star reviews — an interesting tactic that does indeed tank its actual review score, but not its sales ranking given that Amazon algorithms are interested not in the quality of the reviews but rather the attention that the reviews and the book get. (Meaning, a passel of negative reviews actually elevates the book’s overall sales ranking. Which in turn garners it more sales. Amazon reps have been clear with me on this point: buyers buy books with reviews, period. Not good reviews, not bad reviews. But rather: quantity of reviews impress buyers to make purchases. So, leaving a ton of bad reviews actually increases the book’s sales. Ironic, and not likely what anyone supporting such a campaign intends.

So he doesn’t care he wrote a # book, just that he gets sales and publicity.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

And you don't find that just a wee bit (i) implausible, (ii) disappointing, (iii) creepy?

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

And you don't find that just a wee bit (i) implausible, (ii) disappointing, (iii) creepy?

Creepy yes but I think that was the point. Being the Kwisatz Haderach he could put such "trival" concerns to one side to get the job done. In later book he could be heartless sometimes.

It what I took from it anyway. Everyones reading can I guess be diffrent.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Well, it is a movie novelization franchise. Authors don't do them for love; they do them for the money.

And if it's selling well, then by the standards of the category it's a success.

As you astutely pointed out, it's not exactly literature we're talking about here.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

How I took it is that Frank Herbert lost control of his material at that moment.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well, it is a movie novelization franchise. Authors don't do them for love; they do them for the money.

And if it's selling well, then by the standards of the category it's a success.

As you astutely pointed out, it's not exactly literature we're talking about here.

Well in the past (before Disney) for the novels they normaly picked those that did have a love for the source material.

You can make money AND write a fun book.

No its not the hights of literature and its not meant to be, but it is meant to be both fun and readable . And for most people this book was neither.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

How I took it is that Frank Herbert lost control of his material at that moment.

I guess everyone reads things diffrently.

To me he was about to face the most important battle and thousands of people were counting on him. To break down in tears and lose focus would have put all that in jeopardy and that is neither a Fremen thing to do nor someone with Bene Gesserit training.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

And what about Jim Butcher, author of the Dresden Files, aside from his other fantastic works?

Another Butcher fan! Woo hoo!

He's a cool guy too. A couple of years ago, at DragonCon, he was completely blown away by the size of his audience in the room. He thought we were there to see Shatner and thought there was a mixup, LOL! Another year, he was there along with the guy who played Dresden in the series (also a cool guy) and it was interesting to see them together. I'm a big fan of his stuff, and even got both of them to sign my "Bob" (I was cosplaying as Dresden).

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Badass!

Were you cosplaying the Dresden from the front cover of the books, with the famous hat which never appears in the books themselves?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join