It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young whites' are losing faith in the American Dream

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
No surprise there.

It's about as hard for a 20-something worker to find a job today as it was in 1986. The economy is growing at a slightly slower pace, but not by much. And yet young workers today are significantly more pessimistic about the possibility of success in America than their counterparts were in 1986. That rise in pessimism among millennials is concentrated among white people. It is most pronounced among whites who did not earn a college degree.
Washington Post

So it would seem that young people who are white
have had to face a harsh reality that most of their
mothers and fathers keep trying to ignore.

The system does not reward you for honest hard work. That doesn't beat the hidden inflation tax. If you believed that it would (and you are now honest with yourself), then ask: "Do you still feel that way?" If the answer is no, the my second question follows: "Well, are you now ready to admit to yourself and the whole world that you have been lied too? "

"Are you now ready to get real?"

Our system does reward dishonesty.
Indeed it reward many shameful practices.
As long as the shame is legal, the rich get richer.

The poll found no statistically significant change among young Americans of color over the decades. In 1986, they were about twice as likely as whites to say the American Dream does not exist. Now, the groups are about equally pessimistic.

Again, no surprise there.

Black people know the so-called "American Dream" wasn't REAL.
"Day be knowin' dis for a minute, honey."

It's about as hard for a 20-something worker to find a job today as it was in 1986. The economy is growing at a slightly slower pace, but not by much. And yet young workers today are significantly more pessimistic about the possibility of success in America than their counterparts were in 1986, according to a new Fusion 2016 Issues poll reported in conjunction with the Washington Post — a shift that appears to reflect lingering damage from the Great Recession and more than a decade of wage stagnation for typical workers.

The Great Recession lingers on? So it hasn't ended yet, but we have already named it like some distant event in history. "A decade of wage stagnation for typical workers..." it says. Yeah, go ahead and call it the "GR" if you want to, but I know the truth... America is in decline, has been for 15 years, and there is not enough oxygen in the room to keep this economy breathing. The system go a second chance in 2007, but now Uncle Sam is dependent on his pace maker to keep his old ticker from given out.

The reason for this finding has a lot to do with the fact that more white people have slipped back in to poverty, back in 1986 the same people watched their parents climbing out of poverty. As these adults slip back they KNOW the American Dream is a hoax, and their kids know it too. The kids know it all too well.

Young white people are losing their faith in the American Dream

Mod Note: Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.

edit on 2-12-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

edit on 12.2.2015 by Kandinsky because: added link and source tags

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
You lost me with the stereotypical black jargon you attempted to throw in there. I'm sure some will get a kick out it but I for one don't.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I know several young dudes and I can say, without a doubt, all those bucks are concerned about is scoring tickets to Machine Head for this weekend and pulling tang. If you are young and do not expect 15. for learning, and you do not have a job, you don't want a job.

edit on 2-12-2015 by JohnthePhilistine because: add your own periods

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Jargon aside....the wage curve went flat line in 84 when Reagan took office....whata great president...had soothsayers in the white house at his wifes suggestion......he was a drugstore truck drivin' man....

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

My stepson has had more jobs (employers) in the last 2 years than I have had in my entire life.

This younger generation of males that I have seen (both family related and children of friends and co-workers) all seem to have the same attitude. They don't like to work for more than a few weeks before getting bored and quitting.

They seem to have this fantasy that they must actually enjoy their work. Big Surprise, after a few months / years all jobs suck. You are trading your time for money so stop being a fool and acquire the skills needed to make that worth while in a job you can stand not love because love for a job generally fades quickly over time.

They also seem more than happy to be dead broke. If they can cover their basics, they have little desire to improve and they are not greedy for overtime like we were at that age.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
white, brown yellow... I'm sure everyone is in the same boat.

Aka, imo the American Dream doesn't belong to one particular colour. lol.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The American dream is centered around being able to get an education and improving your outlook.

So of course uneducated "whites" are pessimistic about their future.

College aint easy.
But the School of Hard Knocks,... is harder.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY
When did you start working? The start of the destruction of the family, what we called "woman's lib", was the root cause of the two parents working to provide as well as one had previously problem. The lies are the same, and if people fall for it again there will be only the rich and the poor. I don't know who you dumb bastards are going to get to build and fix your #.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari
You lost me with the stereotypical black jargon you attempted to throw in there. I'm sure some will get a kick out it but I for one don't.

Same here/ I don't really enjoy blatant racism even when it's masked as dry humor.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   
the economy may be growing at a similar (slightly slower pace)
however that is not even remotely close to adequate when the population growth is exponential
and the problem is further compounded due to the fact that most of the growth that does occur within the economy really only filters into a few pockets

look at how the world has changed in the last hundred years
it hardly even resembles what it was
we have machines now that can do the work of thousands

so why would we stick with this outmoded system of economics?
we need a new system the reflects the world we live in

and too bad for you if youve found yourself comfortable in exploiting this ancient one because it simply does not work any more and no amount of resistance is going to change that

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
"Day be knowin' dis for a minute, honey." -OP Was that really necessary?

edit on 2-12-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: Necessary

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
"Day be knowin' dis for a minute, honey." -OP Was that really necessary?

Ughhhh... we'll IDK whether the OP is white/black or green: the credibility meter just shorted out on this comment - regardless of his/her race....

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
First , there is no American Dream unless you were born into old money. Then you have a chance. No the economy is not growing any . Wait , I take that back. We are growing the economies of China and India . As more and more people drop out of the job hunt as there are none to be had for any age group , the nation loses "revenue" . That revenue was used to sorta pay the national debt (actually pay the interest on that debt) . Now , we are in a deadfall loop . Gonna take a miracle to pull us outta this one. And looks as if the US is all outta miracles.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Just have to disagree. I am living the dream every day! I have a great job that I created myself based on my skill set, (was not born into Money) was brought up poor. Started working @11 and haven't stopped. Have my family, health food shelter clothing....

Many more reasons to list, but mehhhhh. .... .

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Except that their are plenty of young people that are successful somehow.

The statistics show that young people feel more entitled not that they are lacking opportunity. Young whites are simply not willing to adjust to the skills and opportunities of the new economy and they expect they can get a degree in music appreciation and somehow magically get a great job.

The fact is you need to analyze future trends and then gain the appropriate skills. I didn't go to college for what I wanted to do, but for what I could do to earn a good living and it worked out. My wife got a degree in English and has never gotten value from her 4-year degree. She wishes now she had gotten a more skill specific degree.

You need to plan and manage your career and invest in continuing education. People don't magically come looking for you and give you a job. You need to put the effort in to be someone who is in demand. This has always been the case, but some Millennials don't want to come to grips with reality.
edit on 2015/12/2 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555

Aka, imo the American Dream doesn't belong to one particular colour. lol.

I would have to disagree, Green owns the American Dream and the Gov't.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Too much sterotyping.

I have two millennials that are direct reports and were an average and under-performer respectively. As we head to our fiscal close one is going to win our outside salesperson of the year and the other is going to be in the top 5 for President's Club.

Both are asking about additional responsibilities and furthering their careers while we, as a company, continue to grow and hirer. I have no issue hiring millennials or anyone else for that matter, as long as they are willing to do their job with a good deal of dedication.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Throwing down the race baiting card here as this thread is about race, which the American dream has nothing to do with.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I know many people just like you, who worked hard, built up their own business (not from inheritance), bought a home, had a family, and are living the dream.

I do think that would be much more difficult today. Today's generation of workers are of an entirely different mindset and work ethic. While there are exceptions, many do not want to work their way up; they want to start very near the top and be given perks, benefits, bonuses and bring in an unrealistic wage. Their work-to-wage ratio is less work and more wage. You owe them for their choosing you as their "workhost", not their boss. They are not your employee nor do they work 'for' you.

If you want to work and get the dream, then actually work. Don't understand that then you too can become Lobster Guy, living on a beach and living off of the grace of others and your monthly $200 S.N.A.P. card.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Agreed! We hire two or three times a year. Our company caters to a "younger" professional being as though we're technology based.

99999.9 percent of all our applicants have social media (with very poor taste) , have had more jobs than I have had changed my unerwear.. & very few make it to the 2nd interview.

Whether because of dress, attitude, tardiness of the 1st... The mellennials are in thier own world. They may have a degree, but few, if any have zero social/communication skills and you would NOT (or maybe would) believe, more than 2/3rd of them cannot build an excell sheet, spit PDFs or convert files... amazing....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join