It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

A Navy SEAL's Secret for Pushing Yourself Way Beyond Your (Supposed) Limits

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

log in


posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 06:27 AM

originally posted by: ringdingdong
a reply to: Tiamat384

It's called lateral thinking, not hocus pocus.

Screw the SEAL's, these guys give 110% and then give another 87.943%, just for fun! HOCUS POCUS....FOCUS!
edit on ndpamWed, 02 Dec 2015 06:31:15 -0600k1512America/Chicago0231 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 06:38 AM

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: ISawItFirst
Well no, let's say his total limit is 10 miles, which I actually called it and clarified by stating it is his 100%. That would mean 4 miles is his 40% and that the remainder 6 miles is the 60% to push for, correct?

I was just instgating. One of you sees a duck, and the other sees a duck. One of you is screaming it has webbed feet and the other one screamong No its got an orange bill.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:30 AM

originally posted by: ringdingdong
a reply to: Tiamat384

No I mean 150%.

I can run 10 miles. If I run 40% of my max = 4miles.

I have 150% left = 6miles.

Sure, you can do 150% of what you've done so far. But you only have 60% left of your total after you've used 40% of it.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:15 AM
a reply to: lostbook

I actually took time to read all the replies to this post.
I was never very good at keeping up with all the math while I was in training.
I found it much easier to just run until I passed out, then get up and start over.
The instructors would ask, "Mr.___ how much do you want this." One day I found the answer, "More than life itself!"
When I realized this myself, everything got much easier.
edit on 2-12-2015 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:17 AM
a reply to: 3n19m470

Right. The whole thing was lazy wording. If you don't properly qualify how are you to find a singular quantity? My mind branches out with all the valid possibilities.

Not my deal someone jumps to the most common assumption with how to move forward, then gets upset that someone chooses to go a different direction with it.

I do things like this for meta cognition and self-motivation. Quirking the situation into a higher value would motivate me to pace and keep going. Towards the end I would flip back and drop the value to kick in the afterburners finish strong.

edit on 2-12-2015 by ringdingdong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:24 AM
An interesting question to ask might be; why does your mind tell you you're done at 40%?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:30 AM
a reply to: Michet

Reserves for the next situation. Think of our species evolutionary past. We perhaps ate every few days then feasted, had to bolt from predator, hunt prey, be ready for anything multiple times over before charging back up.
edit on 2-12-2015 by ringdingdong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:09 AM
It isn't only the Navy Seal who do this, and you don't need to have military training to know this, even though I do.

All you need to know is that when it starts to hurt you keep going on until it stops hurting.

The real secret is to know when you are 50% tired so you have enough energy to get back, and train enough so you can function when you are in a diminished state from fatigue when other links in the command and supply chain break, leaving you, or you and your team to fend for yourselves.

Working in a diminished state and not getting killed or killing your teammates by accident is the hardest part as one thinks differently when running on fumes and is prone to make more mistakes and miss details.

I enjoyed the training part of the military very much, the killing part not so much.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:23 AM
a reply to: lostbook

Sadly, not many people in the Millenial generation have ever been taught that they can achieve much past their 20% point...the remaining 80%, to them, is owed them by someone else.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:26 AM
a reply to: Michet

Survival instinct--our bodies are pre-wired for self-preservation, but since we now live in a world where refueling supplies are readily available, it's fully appropriate for us to hit the override button and push past that point. For the most part, we don't need to save the remaining 60% for tomorrow anymore on the notion that we may not be able to replenish our bodies' fuel.

At least, that's one interpretation of the why, and I subscribe to it.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:15 PM
I can fully credit this claim. As a runner in track of the 100, 200 & 400 with the occasional 800 there were times if I simply relied on my body I would stop the race and walk lol. Anything but the 100 I would say I would use mind over body to complete the race at a high level. In fact there was a song that would instantly kick on in my head by SNAP "I've got the Power" lol

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 06:11 PM
a reply to: ringdingdong

I don't think that works out correctly. If you can only run 10 miles, and you ran 40% of that, or 4 miles you only have 60% left to go before you can't go further, we all know 60 is 150% of 40 but saying you have 150% left isn't accurate. You would have to say I have 150% of what I have already run left.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 06:16 PM
I have the 75% rule.

Only work at 75% of your capacity, and make everyone believe your 75% is your 100%.

This way, if you are sick and working at only 50% of your actual capacity, to others it will appear you are working at 75%.

If you are in a tight bind, tight deadline or something -- step up to your actual, comfortable 100%. People will be amazed and think you are killing yourself.

Scotty from Star Trek said it best to Geordi LaForge:

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Yeah, well, I told the Captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.

Scotty: How long will it really take?

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: An hour!

Scotty: Oh, you didn't tell him how long it would *really* take, did ya?

Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Well, of course I did.

Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.

Working harder never got anyone ahead. Working smarter with the tools available, and utilizing other people and their strengths is what gets people ahead.
edit on 2-12-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 09:44 AM
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Lol I am using that rule at work right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

log in