It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Wizard's Politics Web Site

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
As people will know I have a keen interest in both national and international politics...well I guess the best way to describe my web site is to use the introduction i put on there:

Have you ever stopped and wondered why politicians don't listen to voters or why things are run how they are? Have you even thought why must things be run this way, why are we led by fools and idiots?

I've often wondered what I would do, how I would solve the problems facing Britain. Well I got fed up of wondering and decided to share my ideas about solving the problems facing this country. This site is devote to the ideas of a better future, a future of practical reasoning and common sense.

Whether you agree or disagree with the solutions, please take the time to read them through.

Thanks For Reading

British Politics 101

note: if the admin find my web site inappropriate then feel free to remove the link

[edit on 5-1-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Very impressive Wizard

I agree with all of your ideas on how to reform the UN, though i would say that rather than ejecting an aggressive country for a year, maybe five years out in the cold is a better option. it may seem harsh but aggressive nations tend to only understand aggressive politics

on gibraltar, i was not aware that Melilla and Ceuta were under Spanish rule. this undermines the Spanish position further. well done for pointing this out

i'm still reading the domestic issues but your ideas on the international scene have my full support. well done!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar
Very impressive Wizard

Thanks

I agree with all of your ideas on how to reform the UN

Can't take much of the credit for them, i just adapted ideas from devilwasp , the rest of the site is my own ideas though

though i would say that rather than ejecting an aggressive country for a year, maybe five years out in the cold is a better option. it may seem harsh but aggressive nations tend to only understand aggressive politics

Thats a fair point, i'll have to think on it more

on gibraltar, i was not aware that Melilla and Ceuta were under Spanish rule. this undermines the Spanish position further. well done for pointing this out

Melilla and Ceuta seem to be Spain's best kept secret, thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hi mate ive read a few of your posts so I knew to go straight to your drug policy for a good laugh.

Are you related to Anne Widdecombe?

There was a programme on BBC last night called Drugland.

It was the best I have ever seen on drugs and prohabition and was really how it is.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Part 2 is on the night at 9.00.

You should watch it if it is not past your bedtime.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
well, i just finished the domestic issues. again, an overall thumbs up. there are a couple of issues i would like to highlight, as well

the ideas on imigration are good, as are those on asylum. what is also important is that you took the time to explain the difference between the two.

on police, i fully support the idea of cutting beaurocracy, and political correctness. such things are a waste of valuable resources

the prison points system is an interesting concept, but i think that in some prisons a system of rewards for good behaviour is already in place.

as far as the military is concerned, i have been saying for ages that we should invest in the G36. i am by no means a gun expert, but i know that the SA80 is not a reliable gun

You may want to look into the MoDs habit of wasting billions of pounds on defence projects such as the Westland Apache saga, and Eurofighter. i am sure these billions could be better spent elseware, but the Goverment is hell bent on using british firms as much as possible. it may be good for companies like Westland and BAe but often projects are so long overdue that requirements have changed, costing many billions of pounds to adjust

i would also like to point out that alot of these ideas have nothing to do with right or left wing. they are common sense, something sadly lacking in alot of todays politicians

i make this final point in case anyone tries to turn this into a right versus left scenario

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobjohnson
Hi mate ive read a few of your posts so I knew to go straight to your drug policy for a good laugh.

I hope I amused you

It was the best I have ever seen on drugs and prohabition and was really how it is.

I'm guessing your pro drugs, well a quote from the BBC web site seems to prove what society has decended into:

from BBC Web Site
It culminates with footage of kids aged from 12-16 cutting and using crack, speed and coc aine as the drugs get passed down the dealers' chain.

You should watch it if it is not past your bedtime.

Childish comments how sad

i make this final point in case anyone tries to turn this into a right versus left scenario

thanks, right and left wing arguements always seem to ruin sensible political discussion.
Thanks for the suggestions on MoD projects aswell

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What do you mean Pro Drugs?

Do you mean I don't want my door booted in Gestapo style coz I like a Joint when I finish work pro...

or

Do I like Little idiots running around my estate full of smack pro?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Do you mean I don't want my door booted in Gestapo style coz I like a Joint when I finish work pro...

Depends whats in the joint, i'll let you off if its suger

Do I like Little idiots running around my estate full of smack pro?

nobody supports such a event - even the pro drugs people

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Criminalising adult people for harmless recreational drug use strikes me as ridiculous and, as it also helps create mafias, especially stupid.

I see no reason why the drug situation in the UK could not be improved by exerting actual control over most, if not all, of the drugs on sale in the UK, just as we do licencing and controlling the sale of alcohol (another drug) to adults.

The current situation gives us no real control IMHO.
I also think we are not talking about a perfect situation because we are never going to achieve that whatever we do.

IMHO the point is what strategy is best for harm-reduction. The current 'just say no' ideas are a dreadful failure probably doing far more harm than good.

As for the risks?

By far the majority of people who die taking drugs do so because the drugs are either adulterated with toxic 'elements', or, they are too pure and high a dose (no pun intended), or, they are ignorant of what to do whilst 'using' (Leah Betts, for example, died of drinking too much water whilst on ecstasy, not the ecstasy itself thanks to the myths that have grown up around that particular one thedea.org...); both these issues would be addressed by proper control.

Additionally by taking actual control of the matter one could also remove the recreational 'soft' drug user from the criminal environment where they can be offered other harder drugs or other crimes such as robbery might go on.

Also by decriminalising 'home grown' (a quiet vast cottage industry across the UK) it stops most people's 'drug career' right there with none of the moving on to heroin etc.

(For what it is worth - and no, I can't give you a link on this but I can assure you the gist is true - did you know that a £500wk heroin habit would cost the NHS a few quid in diamorphine? We all pay huge insurances for crimes - and all the knock on crime - that would cost a legal agency buttons.)

I don't take any drugs myself beyond the occassional drink.
I have tried many of them. Diamorphine, following a major accident, taught me why people like, no, make that 'fall in love with', heroin - and the rest seem no worse than taking a skin-full of booze to me.

I don't recommend anyone flush their life down the crapper what ever route they might use, and I don't think kids should harm, hurt or destroy themselves with any intoxicant. Neither do I think children shoul have access to drugs just as I don't think they should have access to booze.

That's the statement of the bleeding obvious out of the way.

The fact is people like to get intoxicated, always have always will and by keeping some methods (particularly some of the nicer methods) illegal we are guaranteeing a demand of some sort.

There is also a refusal for wider society to face up to the fact that for most who do it (ie the vast majority who do not become dependant wreakage unable to live a 'normal' life) drugs and very pleasurable sex are a combination as old as the hills.

It'll never be perfect whatever we do but IMHO we sure as hell can make it better than this ridiculous treadmill of threatening ever harsher penalties for users.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You also have to remember that people don't just jump straight on to high level drugs, they begin on the apparently lower level drugs such as cannabis, which we need to stamp down on also or there will be a new wave of people going onto drugs through these apparently softer drugs. If a person is discovered to have any amount of illegal drugs upon them, they should automatically become classified as a criminal, there is no such thing as 'it's only for personal use', drugs are evil stain upon society and should be eradicated and who is to say they won't sell or share what is in their possession.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Have a read of this

Please

A conservative estimate puts the number of people who regularly use illegal substances in the UK at five million.

Thats 5 million that regularly use drugs.

Do you consider all these people criminals. Apparently so. What does this policy of yours plan to do with all of these criminals?

Too many to lock up in our current prisons

Maybe some sort of Concentration Camp is in order

No, I know....

Her Majesty's Detox Camps, out in the countryside, one for each major city

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Thats 5 million that regularly use drugs.

As Michael Douglas says in the film 'Traffic' how do you have a 'war' against your own family?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar

I agree with all of your ideas on how to reform the UN, though i would say that rather than ejecting an aggressive country for a year, maybe five years out in the cold is a better option. it may seem harsh but aggressive nations tend to only understand aggressive politics

Yeah i have ti agree although UK wizard has changed my original idea in one area the rest is good , i dont know about 5 years though, i thought 1 would be ample enough.

I am personally against drugs, slows you down in my eyes.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

A conservative estimate puts the number of people who regularly use illegal substances in the UK at five million.

Fair enough i didn't know the levels were so high...

Do you consider all these people criminals. Apparently so. What does this policy of yours plan to do with all of these criminals?

Rehab comes to mind....

This is the second time you've used Nazi Germany commments in order to insult me...

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Rehab comes to mind....

If a man goes out for a drink on a sturday night do you think he needs to go to the AA

Why does a weekend ecstacy user need rehab?

This is the second time you've used Nazi Germany commments in order to insult me...

Once

www.boer.co.za...

The second time was a homegrown insult

The Nazis lifted that one from us!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   

If a man goes out for a drink on a sturday night do you think he needs to go to the AA

Of course not....

Depends to what extent the user uses the drug and whether they are addicted.

The second time was a homegrown insult

The Nazis lifted that one from us!!!

I know about the Boer war, but people commonly associtate concentration camps with the SS death camps.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Why does he or she need to take it???
It kills you.

Also one thing i have to ask, what about the families of these users?
Huh?
It has a negative effect and as i said it kills you.
Do you think its ok for people to go around smokeing pot in a pub with other people around?
The smokeing is starting to be hit by that also, what about the children?
You going to encorouge them to use drugs?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Why does he or she need to take it???

- DW if you don't mind my saying this is a pretty redundant question.
People like to get intoxicated and there are many different methods, some nicer or more appropriate than others at times.

Sometimes you just feel like a couple of beers and not half a bottle or more of scotch, or vis-versa, know what I mean?

It kills you.

- Actually this is a myth.
Very few drugs in themselves are lethally toxic if they are what they are supposed to be and if taken in the amounts or 'dosage' most will take them......same with alcohol.....hell, same with water (see Leah Betts tragedy for details).

Some people are prescribed coc aine or diamorphine for decades without ill effects and Ecstasy was a slimming aid originally invented at the turn of the 19th - 20th century.

(That whole 'designer drug' thing was a myth/lie/scare story)

Also one thing i have to ask, what about the families of these users?

- To be a related to anyone with addictive personality problem(s) is unpleasant to say the least.
Being related to an alcoholic (even a functiuoning low-level alcoholic) is hardly 'nice'.
But what are we going to do? Ban alcohol now too?

It just does not and never will work IMHO.

People with a genuine destructive 'bent' will find a way regardless of what laws we put up.

It has a negative effect and as i said it kills you.

- Well I don't want to state the obvious here DW but clearly it has some very positive effects (otherwise people wouldn't do it on a recreational basis......you can hardly claim addiction for that group of users, which is by far the biggest). Sex on most drugs is enhanced significantly. If you don't know what I'm talking about then fair enough but believe me that is true.

I'm not saying there may not be the occassional 'bad effect'; someone losing the plot and becoming an a$$hole whether on drugs or booze is plainly a pain and can be worse than that. But you just can't legislate personal behaviour like that.

Do you think its ok for people to go around smokeing pot in a pub with other people around?

- Not really; but then I don't smoke.

But why offer up that option only? Why not consider dope cafés like they have in Amsterdam?

The smokeing is starting to be hit by that also, what about the children?
You going to encorouge them to use drugs?

- Why would anyone want to do that?
Does anyone encourage their kids to smoke or booze?

But for all that lets not kid ourselves, rather than altering anything let's recognise and face up to the situation as it is right now.
It is one where many kids are now well aware of drugs and are not wreckage because mum and dad smoke dope at night or do a couple of 'E's at a weekend.

Just as many kids are completely turned off booze by their parents behaviour on drink I'm quite sure that the same goes on with drugs.

I just think that we should open our eyes, stop scaring ourselves with myths and see reality.

(Its also worth bearing in mind that the lurking bogey idea of a totally drug-addled nation on it's knees is paranoia related to Britain's experience when gin was invented (mother's ruin and all the accompanying misery among the poor etc) and also that a foreign power might do to Britian what Imperial Britain actually tried to do to another in China a long time ago in the Opium wars etc.
But that was then this is now. It's not going to happen, most people have a degree of education (which we can improve upon) and sense of proportion as well as a lot to lose.)

The failed approach of simply making a common behaviour illegal and therefore leaving the 'trade' in the hands of the underworld mafias is, IMHO, the worst possible answer.

[edit on 6-1-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Sometimes you just feel like a couple of beers and not half a bottle or more of scotch, or vis-versa, know what I mean?

Yeah and i agree acohol is a drug to, but its not in the same legue as coc aine is it?

Very few drugs in themselves are lethally toxic if they are what they are supposed to be and if taken in the amounts or 'dosage' most will take them......same with alcohol.....hell, same with water (see Leah Betts tragedy for details).

Yeah but how many people know the dosage of coc aine?

Some people are prescribed coc aine or diamorphine for decades without ill effects and Ecstasy was a slimming aid originally invented at the turn of the 19th - 20th century.

(That whole 'designer drug' thing was a myth/lie/scare story)

Many a good thing has turned bad in this world.

- To be a related to anyone with addictive personality problem(s) is unpleasant to say the least.
Being related to an alcoholic (even a functiuoning low-level alcoholic) is hardly 'nice'.

If need be yes, if thats what needs to be done then yes.

People with a genuine destructive 'bent' will find a way regardless of what laws we put up.

Yeah.

- Well I don't want to state the obvious here DW but clearly it has some very positive effects (otherwise people wouldn't do it on a recreational basis......you can hardly claim addiction for that group of users, which is by far the biggest). Sex on most drugs is enhanced significantly. If you don't know what I'm talking about then fair enough but believe me that is true.

Riight, ill take your word on that.
It has possitive effects but it also has bad effects.

I'm not saying there may not be the occassional 'bad effect'; someone losing the plot and becoming an a$$hole whether on drugs or booze is plainly a pain and can be worse than that. But you just can't legislate personal behaviour like that.

Drugs in my eyes have many bad effects..
Number 1. It's illegal and you get caught with it your done.
Number 2. Negative social effect.
Number 3. Where does the stuff come from and who makes it? You have no idea how its made or who done what to it.

- Not really; but then I don't smoke.

Good, one more smart person.

But why offer up that option only? Why not consider dope cafés like they have in Amsterdam?

I suppose thats one way of doing it but one question is if there are cafe's for coc aine and speed what happens when they leave while still intoxicated?

Some do, hell my uncle says the only thing stopping me being a "real" kayacker is me not drinking.

But for all that lets not kid ourselves, rather than altering anything let's recognise and face up to the situation as it is right now.
It is one where many kids are now well aware of drugs and are not wreckage because mum and dad smoke dope at night or do a couple of 'E's at a weekend.

No but if the drugs where made legal wouldnt that just allow that very scenario to become a realitly?

Just as many kids are completely turned off booze by their parents behaviour on drink I'm quite sure that the same goes on with drugs.

Actually , many of my friends where not discouraged from drinking.
Only about drugs.

I just think that we should open our eyes, stop scaring ourselves with myths and see reality.

Many cases are not myths and are actually realitly.

The failed approach of simply making a common behaviour illegal and therefore leaving the 'trade' in the hands of the underworld mafias is, IMHO, the worst possible answer.
[edit on 6-1-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

They ruin lives, why would you want it to continue?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Yeah and i agree acohol is a drug to, but its not in the same legue as coc aine is it?

Well.....

Psychologic dependence is accompanied by feelings of satisfaction and a desire to repeat the drug experience or to avoid the discontent of not having it. This anticipation of effect is a powerful factor in the chronic use of psychoactive drugs and, with some drugs, may be the only obvious factor associated with intense craving and apparent compulsive use. Drugs that cause chiefly psychologic dependence include coc aine, marijuana, amphetamine, and hallucinogens, such as lysergic acid diethylamide ('___'), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), and peyote.

Drugs that produce strong physical dependence (eg, heroin, alcohol) are prone to abuse, and dependence is difficult to treat. If a drug does not cause physical dependence, discontinuing the drug does not cause a major stereotypical withdrawal syndrome.

www.merck.com...

Yeah but how many people know the dosage of coc aine?

You would run out of money or get bored/tired long before you OD on coc aine.

If need be yes, if thats what needs to be done then yes.

That is not a serious option. Be real it is far too big a part of our society.

Yeah.

Well thats the way it is. Crack is the new big thing and is moving out of the cities and into the towns now. Bottem line is Crack Cocaine is on its way to your town, do you want it controlled by the authorities or in the hands of kids with guns making £1000 a week and willing to kill any competition to keep earning it.

Drugs in my eyes have many bad effects..
Number 1. It's illegal and you get caught with it your done.
Number 2. Negative social effect.
Number 3. Where does the stuff come from and who makes it? You have no idea how its made or who done what to it.

1,2 & 3 all solved by legalising the lot and providing support to people with problems.

I suppose thats one way of doing it but one question is if there are cafe's for coc aine and speed what happens when they leave while still intoxicated?

You go into a bar in any town or city in the UK and someone in that bar will be sniffing coke, possibly many of them. This is a non issue.

Some do, hell my uncle says the only thing stopping me being a "real" kayacker is me not drinking.

Well i'm sure he means well, as I said its part of our culture and there is no problem if you are sensible though it is quite easy to OD on alcohol and once you get a taste it is very addictive.

No but if the drugs where made legal wouldnt that just allow that very scenario to become a realitly?

Its here now and it is getting worse, as I said if drugs aren't in your town yet its only a matter of time.

Many cases are not myths and are actually realitly.

Have to agree with Sminkey again here.

Short story for you

Only person I know that died form drugs collapsed after taking 6 E's in 2 hours which is not too bright.

He was dragged out of the club semi concious and left to die of exposure in the street by the doormen

By the time his friends relised he was gone and went outside to look for him and then caaaed paramedics it was too late

Of course the club could be shut down because of drugs so this was acceptable policy

Of course his mate who scored the pills for himself and his three mates got 2 years for manslaughter. The twist is he had scored the pills off the one of the dead boys relaitves on the estate. He was 16 years old. Sad isn't it.

Another casualty of The War on Drugs

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

You would run out of money or get bored/tired long before you OD on coc aine.

Which would imply that people will commit crime to fund their habit

A quick search on Google turns up some interesting information on Cannabis:

An expert on the health effects of cannabis says that there is growing evidence that the drug is responsible for mental health problems.

news.bbc.co.uk...

There are many problems with drugs that haven't even been discovered.

and a few facts on coc aine:

Cocaine is bad news for anybody with high blood pressure or a heart condition. Perfectly fit, young people can have a fit or heart attack after taking too much coke.

Too much sniffing coke and you're sneezing lumps out of your nose into a hanky.

People who use crack or coke regularly often develop serious problems with anxiety and paranoia. It's a known cause of panic attacks.

Taking coke when you're pregnant can damage your baby. Coke causes miscarriage, premature labour and smaller babies and may cause congenital abnormalities. Babies born to mothers who keep using throughout their pregnancy show withdrawal syndrome.

www.talktofrank.com...

[edit on 7-1-2005 by UK Wizard]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join