It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama in Paris: 'Mass Shootings Don't Happen in Other Countries'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
You can file this one under the "Was He Even Thinking?" category. So we had our shooting in CO, and Obama is in Paris at a presser and gets asked about it and he says this:

“With respect to Planned Parenthood, obviously, my heart goes out to the families of those impacted,” Obama said in response to a reporter’s question. “I mean, I say this every time we’ve got one of these mass shootings; this just doesn’t happen in other countries.”

Now I don't know about you, but I seem to recall that we were just busy talking about in incident that took place in Paris were 130 people were killed, many of them shot in cold blood, in a theatre called the Bataclan. And then earlier on, there was this incident where a magazine called Charlie Hebdo was shot up and people were killed for publishing the wrong cartoons.

Aren't those mass shooting incidents? And they aren't the only ones that happen, because you can look up lists of incidents that take place and many take place all over the world.

But doesn't it seem sort of tone deaf for the president to say mass shootings don't happen anywhere else while he's standing in the very same city that so recently suffered a mass shooting incident that was many magnitudes worse than the one in Colorado?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I know...I heard him say that and spit my coffee!
Obama has Global Warming-induced ADD.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Name one more.

Oh wait it isn't hundreds of easily referenced incidents?

Lame.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
He was presumably thinking of the individually motivated and enacted mass shooting which does seem more characteristic of the U.S.
The Paris shootings were an organised group.
It would be useful to have a separate term to distinguish between the two types.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I think he went out of his way to be totally stupid looking today. Every word that fell out of his mouth was total hypocrisy and lies. The problem is......every one else there knew those were lies. It was like his teleprompter went belly up of something. I am going to go hide my head in the sand for the rest of the day. I don't want to talk to anyone from any other country after the president made us look so stupid.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Name one more.

Oh wait it isn't hundreds of easily referenced incidents?

Lame.

Just for starters ...

AUSTRALIA

Event: In 1996, a gunman killed 35 people and wounded 21 more at the seaside tourist town of Port Arthur, Tasmania in the worst mass murder in Australian history. The 28-year-old killer, Martin Bryant, used a Colt AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and a military-grade L1A1 self-loading rifle that he bought from a dealer without a required gun license.

SCOTLAND

Event: In 1996, the same year of the Australian mass shooting, 43-year-old Thomas Hamilton shot and killed 16 children and their teacher and seriously wounded two other teachers before killing himself at an elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland. He used four legally purchased handguns — two 9 mm Browning HP pistols and two Smith & Wesson M19 .357 Magnum revolvers with full-metal jacket and hollow-point ammunition. Scottish tennis star Andy Murray was present at the school when the mass shooting occurred and took cover in a classroom.

Finland: The Scandinavian nation has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, with 1.5 million registered guns in a population of more than five million, and 45 guns for every 100 people. Two mass shootings in 2007 and 2008 resulted in stricter gun control laws – the minimum age for gun ownership was raised, gun permits are reviewed every five years and new gun license applicants must show they are active members of a gun club for one year and be checked by a doctor and police.

Norway: In 2011 Anders Behring Breivik shot 69 people to death. Norway has very strict gun control laws, but a report following the massacre criticized Norway’s gun laws as “inadequate” and called for a ban on semi-automatic assault rifles like the ones used by Breivik to kill so many people in such a short amount of time.

Germany: The Winnenden school shooting in 2009 resulted in 16 deaths and 11 injuries. The perpetrator was 17-year-old Tim Kretschmer, who killed himself. Following the incident, the German government passed laws approving a nationwide electronic weapons registry, increasing the age limit to own certain types of guns, and random inspections of gun-owners’ homes. The National Weapon Registry (NWR) will take effect in 2013.

Canada: The École Polytechnique Massacre, or Montreal Massacre, occurred in 1989, when 25-year-old Marc Lépine killed 15 and injured 14 people using a legally obtained Mini-14 rifle. The shooting resulted in the Firearms Act of 1995, which included stricter screening of gun applicants, tougher training requirements, stricter gun and ammunition storage rules, and the registration of all firearms.

edit on 1-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Got room for me too? sigh................

I am going to go hide my head in the sand for the rest of the day. I don't want to talk to anyone from any other country after the president made us look so stupid.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
308 mass shootings in the US 2015 so far, what he obviously meant was, you don't see that rate outside of the US.

edit on 1-12-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Oh come on now people. It is rare for mass shootings to happen, but in the USA it is common. You would have to go to a pretty messed up part of the world to find similar statistics. The US has some serious issues going on and people need to open their eyes and acknowledge that.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Your factual assessment is most unwelcome.

#EmbraceIgnorance.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The Satanic cabal currently in control of the United States government has no fear of international terrorists. They usually know who they are because most of them are on the same payroll.

It is the unknown domestic psycho they fear more. Millions of American citizens are all just ticking time bombs due to the cocktail of drugs they have been brainwashed and encouraged to ingest and alters their brains at all times. Banning guns will do nothing to solve this mathematical certainty. A guaranteed percentage of humans taking these drugs WILL go nuts, become hostile and violently attack or kill people as a result of the side effects. It is documented.

Nearly every anti-depressant commercial even states publicly that some individuals will experience thoughts of suicide or violence. And yet everyone rushes out to buy it up because "wah wah, life is hard, people are mean" . Yea well that is called the human struggle.

Stay away from the drugs that the establishment encourages you to take for a healthy lifestyle. Stay away from ALL SSRI's .

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
308 mass shootings in the US 2015 so far, what he obviously meant was, you don't see that rate outside of the US.

Well then that's what you say, especially when you are standing in a country that just experienced a mass shooting.

This is really like when the state department sent out gifts of greatest American cinema on DVDs that were incompatible in British DVD players.
edit on 1-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It would be useful to have a separate term to distinguish between the two types.

I would distinguish the US mass shootings as "homegrown" terrorism.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

He made an easily mistaken statement at the wrong place and time, but it still had meaning.

Silly of him.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Here are a just a few examples of mass shootings in other countries:

• On July 22, 2011, a total of 80 people were killed in Norway when Anders Behring Breivik, a political extremist, bombed a government building in Oslo and then went on a shooting rampage on the island of Utoya, just outside the city.

• On March 11, 2009, in Winnenden, Germany, a teenage gunman killed 15 people. The majority of the victims were children and teachers killed when the shooter opened fire in three classrooms in a local secondary school. The gunman shot two other people before killing himself after being cornered by the local police.

• On Sept. 23, 2008, in Kuahajoki, Finland, a gunman shot 10 people to death after opening fire on a classroom in the Kuahajoki School of Hospitality. After killing the students, the shooter burned the victims’ bodies.

In sum, then, Obama is wrong to say that "this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries." Clearly it does happen elsewhere, and not in trivial numbers. Seven of the countries saw double-digit numbers of people killed in mass shootings during that period.

Calculating it this way shows the United States in the upper half of the list of 11 countries, ranking higher than Australia, Canada, China, England, France, Germany and Mexico.

Still, the U.S. doesn’t rank No. 1. At 0.15 mass shooting fatalities per 100,000 people, the U.S. had a lower rate than Norway (1.3 per 100,000), Finland (0.34 per 100,000) and Switzerland (1.7 per 100,000).

We’ll note that all of these countries had one or two particularly big attacks and have relatively small populations, which have pushed up their per-capita rates. In Norway, that single attack in 2011 left 67 dead by gunfire (plus additional bomb casualties). Finland had two attacks, one that killed eight and one that killed 10. And Switzerland had one incident that killed 14.

source

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

He made an easily mistaken statement at the wrong place and time, but it still had meaning.

Silly of him.

Mission Accomplished. That statement had meaning too. It meant something other than what it was interpreted to have meant.

Shall we get into that by way of comparison?

The clear lesson being as a politician that you don't get a second chance to do anything over. Say what you meant clearly at the outset or you risk sounding like a tone deaf jerk and embarrassing your country. That's exactly what Obama did, just like GW.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Unfortunately brain farts hits everyone, even the president...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
"""being as a politician that you don't get a second chance to do anything over"""

Applause please!!

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Obama is like that kid in 'A Christmas Story'...Climate Change is his Red Rider BBgun...and the ONLY present he's focused on opening. To him, EVERY other serious crisis in the world, are pink bunny pajamas.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Unfortunately brain farts hits everyone, even the president...

Uh-huh ... and I guess the (D) armor is strong with this one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join