It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cops v UK Cops (handcuffs)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I watch the US TV series COPS and COPS reloaded....plus the UK series Police Interceptors.

One thing that stands out for me is that the US Cops handcuff fellons with their hands behind their backs. The UK Police handcuff with the hands infront. For me the better security is hands behind your back. In front means they can still lash out.

Does anyone know why this is so?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Seriously, I think it's different cultures. The UK "villains" seem to be more "well ya got me, let's go" and bad guys in the US will do just about anything to get away, including killing the cop who arrested him.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

There is a UK version of cops?!

Are you asking why US cops cuff in the back, because I feel you answered that, or why the UK does it in the front?

link   
In front makes picking a cinch too. Not that I...ummm know anything about that kind of stuff.

Maybe UK suspects just don't have the contempt for cops like has been cultivated in the US.

link   

I suspect it has something to do with Human Rights?

Edit- Found this question thrown up on a U.K Police Forum and the consensus was it totally depends on the individual they are cuffing. If they are known to be violent or there is a likelihood they will attempt to abscond, they will cuff behind the back. If they are compliant, cuff at the front.

edit on 1/12/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I don't know the policy but when I've been calm and arrested I've been cuffed with hands in front.
When I've been resisting arrest or angry, I've been hit with batons to the ground then cuffed with hands behind my back.
It seems to me they make the choice based on the risk the suspect is presenting to them.

I've resisted against their batons, if only to make a statement that I don't fear the pain of their stick, but I'll admit if a Tazer is ever pulled on me I'll drop to the floor and comply instantly. I'm not that stupid lol.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

There is a UK version of cops?!

Are you asking why US cops cuff in the back, because I feel you answered that, or why the UK does it in the front?

Our shows are mainly traffic violations and the odd drugy burgalar.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Mmmm you could be right.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I have wondered that myself, but what stands out the most are the difference in approach, when i watch cops they alvays have a hand ready on the sidearm and often pull the sidearm, i cant recall EVER having seen the interceptors or other police in a simular british show pull a weapon on a suspect.
rarely they call armed police if somebody are barrikading in a building with a knife, but many times they handle people with knives axes and melee weapons without using weapons themselfe.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I just think that if the person being arrested and is calm and reasonable, then it's just a decent thing to do. The UK police have a different operating philosophy than the US "law enforcers".

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Have you been a naughty boy then.... a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Human rights? What right is there in existence to only be handcuffed from the front? That's not a human right.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Haha I'd love to claim UK police oppression to appear innocent, but yep, I've made mistakes in life.
I must add though that the times I've been forced to comply via a police baton I've always walked free a few hours later without even an official caution.
UK cops are generally impressively decent in my experience, even when we are being dicks.

...I managed to take a cops baton off him once and threw it across the street, then shouted "Come on then hard # now you don't have your stick", he retreated then called back up and 5 of them took me down quite violently.
I walked free a few hours later from that one as well, CCTV showed he was a bit too quick to draw and use his baton after mistaking me for some other bloke. They agreed to let me go, and I agreed to ignore his needless strike with the stick.
Lol, it's a game of justice, and UK cops are mostly chilled if we are chilled with them.
I certainly do not fear our police at all, and I don't know anyone who does.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I can tell you for sure UK police do handcuff people with hands behind back in the UK, ive seen it first hand.

Its down to the aggro factor and the police officers discretion.

I think the USA cops do it more often because more dangerous self defence weapons are allowed to be carried and or more often too. EDIT: also adding that the use of "crazy" drugs is also higher making for more seemingly bi-polar behaviour.
edit on b5858335 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Have to say anytime i have been handcuffed(By the Police that is, LoL) in the U.K it has always been from behind.

Edit: Should probably add that being cuffed from behind also enables the Police scum to inevitable bang your head accidentally on purpose while they ever so carefully place you in the back of there squad car.
edit on 1-12-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Police Scotland are a bit feisty though from what I hear, same as South Wales Police.
Devon & Cornwall are pretty chilled in my experience though, cuffed in front if calm, behind if 'troublesome' lol.
Less than one in ten even have a Tazer here though, and as one of the most underfunded police areas in the UK, but the biggest geographical area in England, they are well outnumbered and they know it.
Probably explains why they are mostly chilled and decent. They're more scared of the communities than the other way around.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Could not really comment as to there feistiness these days since i have been rather a model citizen for the past two decades but they certainly used to be, for want of a better word, considerably feisty.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Human rights? What right is there in existence to only be handcuffed from the front? That's not a human right.

Well, for example; if you have a itchy nose, at least you could relieve the itch by being able to scratch it, if you are cuffed from the front. An itchy nose that cannot be scratched, could be deemed a form of torture under the Human Rights act.

Actually it probably couldn't, I am just jesting.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Lol your reply reminded me of more than two decades ago when I was cuffed (hands to front) in 'police transit' from South Wales to Devon. We stopped at Gordano service station on the M5 and I needed to use the toilet but they wouldn't take the cuffs off, so one of the cops unbuttoned my trousers so I could get my tackle out.
I simply couldn't do it myself with the rigid cuffs lol

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Actually, sadly, you're probably correct.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join