It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Court Orders for Expert Examination of Gollum after Meme comparing President Erdogan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

"Eat, wonder and astonishment"

Based on some translations by the googlie machine. Dr Bilgin, a civil servant broke Civil Servants Law Article 125. "Prohibited any publication or political or ideological statement, posters, banners, bands and press the like to reproduce, distribute, or anywhere to hang or display of these institutions."

Now an official inquiry is underway to determine if this meme is an insult.

I think the middle one was spot on..

Because no decision was reached in the fourth hearing of a case in which Aydın-based physician Dr. Bilgin Çiftçi was accused of insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan after sharing a meme comparing Erdoğan's facial expressions to the Gollum character in the “The Lord of the Rings” movies, a court has demanded an expert examination to investigate Gollum's character to decide whether a comparison with him is an insult. Sauce

A Turkish source

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

No comment.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti
Gollum is a hero. He destroys a dangerous weapon and brings peace to the world.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I don't think it was an insult, at least that wasn't the intention. I just think, like myself, the guy who did this has a rather warped sense of humor. But then, I guess if you want to be insulted, you will see insults where none are intended.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Wikipedia says:

Gollum was first introduced in the Hobbit as "a small, slimy creature"
Maybe the good doctor didn't intend to insult the Turkish dictator, but I'm sure their expert will find that to be the case. Even though the comparison is likely to be quite accurate, from both a physical and mental perspective.

-dex

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yes... my preciousssssssss... We will gets the filthy hobbitsesssss yesss. cough cough cough.

Theys so trixie...yessss....

knock knock* Sir your meeting with the Russian prime minister is waiting in the green room

GOES AWAYSSSSSS!!! Filthy tricksie russians hobbitsssess.

new topics

top topics

join