It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain restructuring A400M/A330 deliveries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Battling a budget crisis, the Spanish government has reached an agreement with Airbus Space & Defense to defer delivery of 13 A400M transports. They are under contract for a total of 27 aircraft. The remaining 13 will be delivered after 2024. The first of the aircraft will be delivered in 2016, with the wings having been delivered to the factory for assembly. In addition, 9 roll on mission kits will be delivered, which will include defensive aids, satellite communications, and refueling pods.

They also are planning to acquire three A330MRTTs. It was expected that a contract would be signed this year, but with an election coming up in December, it has been delayed.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Really? I mean this kind of tongue in cheek but.....Spain really needs these military transport planes? They harboring plans to invade......Portugal? Sounds to me like monkey-see-monkey-do waste of money. Of course, I guess there's always that off chance that King Juan Carlos will get a wild hair up and decide to attack Mexico to reclaim Spain's former colony.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

It's part of the Common Security and Defense Policy of the EU. Member nations pool their resources for common missions, similar to NATO. That means that member nations have to build up larger forces, for when called upon to use them.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

THanks for that information.....after posting it occured to me that something like that might be the case.

I guess they have to buy Airbus as well. I'd think they could get a better deal from Antonov.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

It would be interesting to see them do that, considering the A400M is built in Spain. I can see that upsetting Airbus a little bit. Heh. Would love to see them do it though.

new topics

top topics

join