It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chi-Raq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Spike Lee's interview.

The trailer
This new Spike Lee joint may worth watching, Ok a lil history lesson this was a story set in ancient Greece where the women got together and gave out no sex until the men put down their weapons and not go to war, this was tried in Liberia during a threat to return to civil war, and it actually contribute to the cessation of violence which in turn led to a peace deal lasting till this day,now Spike's movie is taking it to Chicago where there is a real war between various gangs and the movement promise to take it throughout America and then across the world.
The trailer looks good hope he can pull it off, in any case this give lie to the often stated non facts that Blks don't care about blk on blk violence but this is not the forum to debate that.
If you want to see something different or to add to your list of movies this should be among them.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
Thank you for the info. I am shamed to say that most of this is new to me.

I am very much aware of the problems in my town and have worried that it may be getting worse, but this situation in Chicago seems much worse than I could have ever imagined.

I am not crazy about Spike Lee, but this movie looks interesting. He did say something that rang a bell for me.

I lived in Washington, D.C. when it was heralded as the Chocolate City, and things were so different then. I was young and full of spit and vinegar, so I had no fear, but I didn't have anything to be afraid of. I walked the streets at night in my area, rode the bus and the Metro alone. It was no big deal. I knew the panhandlers by name, they just came with the territory, the worse you had to deal with was stepping over a drunk sleeping on the steps to your building.

People were busy with their jobs and trying to get a leg up, and for many, D.C. came with people with connections. Maybe I lived there when it first started transitioning, it was always chocolate swirl where I lived. You had a lot of the super wealthy and the upper middle class that lived outside the Beltway, but most of your middle class hard working folks lived in the city. We couldn't afford that commute, and where would you put all those cars?

I have noticed that gentrification has escalated the problems in the inner cities. There seems to be a direct relationship to the increase in crimes and violence and gentrification in areas. Of course it makes sense. What did we think was going to happen when you push people into a corner?

The less a person has, the more valuable their meager possessions become. I used to think it insane that someone would actually fight or die because of something so trivial as a pair of sneakers. That is because I was blessed to have never known what it is like to have only one pair of shoes.

Spike Lee is shedding light on the increasing problem of Black on Black crime, but from where I sit, that is a serious over simplification. To pass the problem off as one of color, overlooks the pink elephant in the room. Watch a video on the life cycle of the rat. Watch how they grow together, build communities, work together. Then see what happens when they have grown into the category of an infestation. They kill each other, even cannibalize each other.

This is a portrait of our society. We are pushing more and more people into a corner. Right now people are only focusing on what is happening in predominately Black areas, because it is a great distraction. They also conveniently ignore that there are a lot of white faces in the crowd, because that is something they don't want you to notice. You are not supposed to notice the swirl until it is to their advantage.

We can continue to play the game according to their rule book, and we know how that ending goes, or we can take the ball and create a new game. The idea that woman can ban together and stop the madness, is only wishful thinking, and will only work when the alpha males have killed each other off and the women will have to step up to the plate, to keep the wheels turning.

The solution will be very short lived if the women then continue to follow the male script they are following now.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Don't be ashamed information may simply take longer to reach some than others, and yet this reminds me of the crack wars of the 80ts where cities and states like California were the tip of the spear, and something you said about the unspoken white faces rang true, for there is a mass epidemic of heroin use among whites and suicides rates unheard of in white males without a college degree, it is saying loud and clear that the American dream is becoming less and less accessible and driving people to desperation, off course AAs and Latinos of the poorer sort had always to coped with this.
edit on 1-12-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

oh god ok.

Yes.

I'm going to watch this.

Already sold on the premise and then I saw Dave too.

In case I missed it. Where when.. I want to see this.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
So, how are they going to keep ratchet # put up?
edit on 1-12-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

oh god ok.

Yes.

I'm going to watch this.

Already sold on the premise and then I saw Dave too.

In case I missed it. Where when.. I want to see this.

I think before the year is out???

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

I read yesterday that it will open this Friday, the 4th, at select theaters; and soon after it will be available on Amazon Instant Video.

new topics

top topics

join