It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus Patents Modular, Removable Passenger Cabins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

According to a recently-granted patent, Airbus is exploring the potential of creating a new breed of versatile, modular aircraft that would see detachable passenger cabins slot into a hole in an aeroplane's fuselage. The concept has the potential to revolutionize air travel, while providing significant savings for airlines by reducing the time that planes spend idle on the ground.

After landing, and prior to launch, a conventional aeroplane has to sit on the tarmac waiting for a necessary but glacial set of events to unfold. This period of inactivity, which is the combined result of a number of factors including the embarking of passengers, luggage and freight, costs airlines time and money.

The newly patented concept would seek to remedy these limitations by taking a more modular approach to the whole situation. Instead of a single hull, aeroplanes would essentially be built with a hole in their fuselage between the nose cone and the tail section, into which modular compartments could be fitted and removed.

The compartments, which could take on the purpose of a passenger, luxury passenger or freight unit, would be transferred between the aircraft and airport via a docking module, which according to Airbus would (ideally) be integrated into airport terminal buildings.

link.

Interesting. I can see how this can add complexity and people potentially getting stuck.

OTOH, I can see how this could significantly speed up loading and unloading aircraft.

Its just (kinda) applying the container ship idea to aircraft.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

This all sounds so familiar, but I can't quite put a finger on it...

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Idiotic.
Would add a lot of weight to the aircraft
Not cost effective - will make fuel burn soar

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Yep.
My thoughts exactly
Idea suitable for a kids show

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Idiotic.
Would add a lot of weight to the aircraft
Not cost effective - will make fuel burn soar

No it won't. They just need to simplify it. Add a giant parachute in case something goes wrong and launch it out. It better be 100% fire prove against jet fuel. That way it won't burn everyone to death.

Open the link and look at the design. It is detachable.
edit on 30-11-2015 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Airbus Patents Modular, Removable Passenger Cabins, - I've been thinking for years that they might do this for the baggage but not for the passengers.

I spose I was off the mark.

top topics

join