It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Three Major Storms To Converge At Once On US This Weekend

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
In what could be a once-in-a-generation onslaught, three major storms are likely to converge on America over the next few days. Meteorologists forcast fronts coming from the north, west and south. Areas to be affected worst are Southern California and the far southwest, the Pacific Northwest, and the Ohio, Tennessee, and Mississippi valleys.

seattletimes.nwsource.com
Seth Borenstein, Knight Ridder Newspapers, WASHINGTON-"You're talking a two- or three-times-a-century type of thing," said prediction-center senior meteorologist James Wagner, who has been forecasting storms since 1965. "It's a pattern that has a little bit of everything."

"It's a situation that looks pretty potent," said Ed O'Lenic, the Climate Prediction Center's operations chief. "A large part of North America looks like it's going to be affected."

The last time a similar situation seemed to be brewing � especially in the West � was in January 1950, O'Lenic said. Seattle received 21 inches of snow, killing 13 people in an extended freeze, and Sunnyvale, Calif., was the scene of an unusual tornado.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yikes, just what we needed. Not. It appears that areas east of the Appalachian Mountains may have it a bit easier, according to the forcast. But the fact that they are warning against avalanches, flooding and tornadoes, is really what seems out of the ordinary for this time of year to me. Time to go to the store, and stock up on some food I would think for anyone here in the affected areas. Good luck, please stay safe and keep an eye on your local weather this weekend!

Related News Links:
www.drudgereport.com
www.nws.noaa.gov

[edit on 6-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We need to get Indy on this and see what he makes of it. I just got rid if a foot of snow, and I dont want anymore! Im all out of salt.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
In chicago we're supposed to get a foot of snow by the day's end (what else would give me an excuse to post on ATS while at work?... everyone who has the option to stay at home is...).

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Last night we had freezing rain, today we've had about 5 inches fo snow. We're supposed to get about another foot by morning tomorrow, with more snow all day thursday. That's for all of SE Detroit, as far as I know.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It started snowing this morning... schools were announced closed in the area... it's expected so snow.. turn into sleet tonight, then turn back into snow before finally changing over to rain late tomorrow afternoon. CRAZY, HUH?

PLUS, when I read the title of this... my mind shifted to a "Day After Tomorrow" type scenario.. lol ...am I crazy, or what?

-prophetmike

[edit on 1/5/05 by prophetmike]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
What is even wierder is that here in central North Carolina its been 70 degrees all week long!!!!! For the first week of January that is extremely wierd!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
With as crazy as this storm system is it looks as if we will do this all over again in about a week. Though the models have backed off the intensity a bit it still looks to be a significant precipitation event in about the same place that is currently getting hit.

It continues to rain here. And unfortunately it will probably be like this for another day. UGLY. 34 degrees and rain. I guess it could be worse. Only miles north of me its 32 and raining.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
What will happen with all this? How bad will it be? Opinions please.

When axactly will it hit? How bad will the storm be in the tennessee area?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
termite...........my thoughts exactly...........

i'm in SE TN............our temps here today are in the low 70's and even for US here in the south that is very unusal.

i believe tomm we're supposed to drop in to the 40's........

i'm curious about this thread...........i haven't seen anything on our local news about this at all..........

it seems a bit reminiscent of that movie "the perfect storm" that came out a couple yrs back.

please give us as much info as possible............and i'm off to the weather channel site to see what they say about this storm convergence.

angie

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You all need to move up here to Canada and experience a winter. It all sounds pretty normal to us

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
You all need to move up here to Canada and experience a winter. It all sounds pretty normal to us

i would LOVE to do that!! i've always wanted to live in a place that has a GREAT winter and mild summer temps.

although i've got friends in montreal and they reported the temps there around christmas in the -20's..............now THAT is a bit cold for me. down south we've had WINDCHILLS in the -teens...........and on very rare occasions had an actual temp in the -'s...........

i'm looking at moving from TN to MONTANA in the next yr or so........the area that i found there seems to have the best combination of cold weather, snow for winter and mild temps in summer.

down south the humidity will KILL you...............i hate it in the summers! UGHHHHH

angie

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Hmmm..I'm in Louisville Ky...are we to be hit with this?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Indy compiled some maps of these storms for us last night, and also indicated (later in the thread!) how to tell if your area will be affected:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't think we're looking at any sort of "Day After Tomorrow" scenario here, but this does look pretty unusual....!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here in Ohio we have a combination of rain in freezing rain, in our county. And our county and the one to the south are under flood warnings.

Nice weather we're having....

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here in S.W. Va. it is so pretty outside. Our temps. here are in the upper 60's actually 67 with a low forcast tonight in the low 50's. Not bad for Jan.? The forcast for the first part of next week is going to be in the mid 70's I have never seen it this warm in my 46 yrs. at this time in the winter. It kind of makes me wonder if the weather has been damaged way beyond our control. One day you hear that we are slipping into another ice-age and the next day, it is the global warming thing. It would not hurt my feelings if the rest of the winter is as mild as it is today. I understand that the midwest and the upper Mississippi valley will be getting socked with a huge icestorm tonight. Weird weather!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm in one of the southern counties in Ohio under a flood warning. All we have had is a bunch of rain, even though today that rain is very cold! I keep hearing rumors that it is going to "freeze tonight" but it hasn't yet so we will see what happens. Sounds like this storm system may be enough to push us over the top though.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I didn't see that thread, Banshee, and it is a good one, thanks, and thanks Indy! I just saw this over on Drudge, and thought I better warn the good ole ATS membership. Never know, it might really help someone out. But if it is unappropriate here, I'm sure Banshee will find a home for it if not in the trash bin.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

Having spent a long weekend in Toronto a few winters back, let me just say: thank you, but no. I'll stick with Atlanta; it's 72 and sunny right now.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Lots of rain here, which I don't mind because I love rain and thunder storms...it's havoc on my business though! I love the snow too...I just can't stand hot weather!

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Yeah this is quite spectacular i wish i was down south because im sure the weather phenomenon is going to be amazing. Iwonder if there will be tornads, hail, and such.

My first thought on this was what if this is a weather control experiment, not trying to sidetrack anyone but it could be who knows. Or what if the oceans were both heated right now from the release of energy from the earthquake. 9.0 on the rictor scale is a huge amount of energy. What else could cause such huge weather systems in such a short span?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join