It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim cab driver shot by passenger ranting about ISIS terrorists: ‘This is extreme — this has t

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

This post is a complete strawman. Not to mention you threw an ad hominem in there for no reason. At no point did I advocate doing anything to the 1st amendment.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Aazadan

Ok, call it a hate crime then.

That's fair, but hate crime is (or should be) rather meaningless as a legal distinction. Mainly I'm just trying to point out that we shouldn't call criminal activity terrorism just because it has a more serious connotation. Thanks to legislation like the Patriot Act and others, crimes that fall under the label of terrorism can be investigated under different criteria than non terrorism. Calling this or related crimes terrorism simply gives agencies like the NSA more leeway to look into ordinary citizens lives and I have a problem with that.

Regardless, maybe this will finally be the action that gets people to look into the right wing media, but I doubt it. That's always a tricky subject due to freedom of the press, but when that freedom is inciting others to violence some sort of balance needs to be struck.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Ok, call it a hate crime then.

Regardless, maybe this will finally be the action that gets people to look into the right wing media, but I doubt it. That's always a tricky subject due to freedom of the press, but when that freedom is inciting others to violence some sort of balance needs to be struck.

Have you read this thread? I'm being yelled at by conservatives for having the audacity to blame the conservative media for his rhetoric.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

a reply to: LSU0408

Which do you think is more likely, the man is a liberal or a conservative?

Can one be a bigot about a political party?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This is heinous and I don't condone violence from any side. That being said, I'm not surprised this type of attack doesn't happen more often.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

I didn't ask for your apology. I just called you a hypocrite for telling me not to blanket label this guy without all the information then you proceed to blanket label the government with no where near all the information about the government's activities. I don't care if you are ashamed of it or not, it just makes me not want to listen to you.

Fair enough.

I assume anything I hear from the Government has a big money agenda attached to it and is a lie until proven otherwise. The thing is once you lie to me I will assume everything is a lie moving forward.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It's amazing you trust the right wing media at all then.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Who knows? Are you accusing me of something?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Have you read this thread? I'm being yelled at by conservatives for having the audacity to blame the conservative media for his rhetoric.

Not all of it just pages 1, 2, 5, and 6 I haven't had a chance to check the rest, which is why I brought up the point because I happen to agree with you. The right wing media in the country has become a real problem in the past few years as it becomes more hateful and more full of rhetoric demanding violent action. It's an interesting subject to me because there's a real question of how you stop that rhetoric while still maintaining a free press.

Then we have an even broader problem where the publics news outlets are becoming less and less credible, and I don't mean CNN, NBC, or even Fox. I mean the fact that more people are turning to blogs and other "independent" media or even Facebook to get their news. People are forming opinions no matter how grounded or not grounded in reality those opinions are and then seek out sources that reinforce those opinions. Websites like Infowars, Beforeitsnews, Judicial Watch, RT, and others are where an increasing number of people are turning for news and that's only making the problem worse.
edit on 30-11-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A person controlled by fear can not think clearly and Love. Fear can cause people to have quick reactions and to harm the innocent.

People think Words don't hurt, and that it's ok to verbally abuse and to speak fear-mongering words, and false prophecies of doom, because it doesn't "really" harm people/society, but all of that negativity is affecting people, and unfortunately people are also saying these things to their children.

Stories like this is more proof of why people should be responsible with their words and not preach fear, but Love.

The people who promote negativity and fear-mongering was a huge influence adding to his panic and fear to do such a thing.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This gets more laughable each time similar situations come up. The left accuses the right of hate etc but the issue is actually what constitutes a muslim and how does that affect non -muslims because islam is being exported like its the new junk food fad.

One is either a muslim or not following all the teachings of Sharia and giving 'charity' part of which funds jihad. Its stupidity not to really look into what sharia and the Hadiths expect of each and every muslim many from the left would get the shock of their lives.

One sad thing is though that many coming here are not that religious, in fact the odd wedding etc it all they want to know about. This is a problem though because once the hardliners get into power they are the ones at high risk for not observing their faith to the letter. Do we want this backwardness in our society though surely we have enough problems to cope with and the left needs to respect people's dissent on this issue?

link   

You maintain a free press by reporting facts. Unbiased. Real. And saying

What some are defending here is not the press but talking heads, pundits, and whores who are in it for the ratings and the consequences of their actions be damned.

Hey, man. I didn't start the fire. I just provided the lighter. Or the fuel. Yeah. Whatever. Some people are never going to see it.
edit on 11/30/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

link   
I want to make one more comment before I leave the thread, although I think it was already quite derailed by the 'conservative vs. liberal' tirade before I got here.

I'm very concerned; worried, very worried in fact about where all this "this party, that party -- this religion, that religion' is leading us as a nation. We will never be united as a nation as we once were, with all these designations, and these are generally with great hostility.

Nobody is a robot for one party or the other. We are individuals with free will.

The internet has made us all raving lunatics.

link   

This post is a complete strawman. Not to mention you threw an ad hominem in there for no reason. At no point did I advocate doing anything to the 1st amendment.

Then what is your solution to prevent these types of crimes if you believe that rhetoric is the cause?

2nd.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I agree with 100% of what you said. Every word. It IS a problem and one that we are going to have trouble addressing if even MENTIONING the problem gets you yelled at like I'm being yelled at here in this thread.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

It's not even the parties or two sides. It's the people who conflate the truth to take advantage of those with extremist leanings or tendencies. And that's a universal statement.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I do not approve of the intentional harming of my fellow humans. However, Pittsburgh is a pretty backwards town so this doesn't surprise me.

Says the guy from Cincinnati. Chortle.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This gets more laughable each time similar situations come up. The left accuses the right of hate etc but the issue is actually what constitutes a muslim and how does that affect non -muslims because islam is being exported like its the new junk food fad.

I have a question. What makes you an expert on what is and isn't a Muslim exactly?

One is either a Christian or not following all the teachings of the Bible and giving 'charity' part of which funds Christian terrorism. Its stupidity not to really look into what the Bible and the other Christian texts expect of each and every Christian many from the left would get the shock of their lives.

I reworded your ridiculous argument above to show why it was ridiculous. Hopefully you get the hint.

One sad thing is though that many coming here are not that religious, in fact the odd wedding etc it all they want to know about. This is a problem though because once the hardliners get into power they are the ones at high risk for not observing their faith to the letter. Do we want this backwardness in our society though surely we have enough problems to cope with and the left needs to respect people's dissent on this issue?

I don't want the backwardness from fundamental Christians being elected and that is MUCH more likely an event than fundamental Muslims being elected, but none of that is illegal. We elect who we elect and once it is done, there is nothing I can do legally to change it. You deal with it until the next election.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

Then what is your solution to prevent these types of crimes if you believe that rhetoric is the cause?

2nd.

I don't have a solution, but I'm sure if we all tried to honestly put our heads together and brainstorm, someone could think of something that is agreeable to most.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Luc, remember when it was considered 'rude' to discuss religion or politics at a dinner party?

Well now I would call it 'suicidal'!.. lol.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join