It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient America’s Giants, Native Legends From Many Tribes

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

to have a 24' tall human who was proportional to a 6' tall human weighing 200 lbs, your 24' tall friend would weigh 12,800 pounds yet his skeletal structure would only be able to support roughly 3200 lbs.

You might be surprised what a skeleton can do...
The human body is remarkably resilient and notably crafty... Read: Wolff's law

A2D

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

to have a 24' tall human who was proportional to a 6' tall human weighing 200 lbs, your 24' tall friend would weigh 12,800 pounds yet his skeletal structure would only be able to support roughly 3200 lbs.

A2D

Or more interestingly a 24" Human could easily be mobile in a gravity of say 1/3 the current level. I always imagine that is why dinosaur bones are found under tonnes of sand, millions of years of meteors falling here and adding mass to the Planet. But this talk of massive giant humans is interesting but until I can look at a real fossil it will be fantasy to myself.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

It's all relative...the body is going to adjust to the pressures it is put under regardless of the environment...(wolff's law is the reason for spaceflight osteopenia) it's just how our bodies work. The whole giants thing is interesting and makes me curious, but like yourself, I too feel it is only a fantasy until we find evidence to support such claims, if we ever do.

A2D
edit on 13-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
I always imagine that is why dinosaur bones are found under tonnes of sand, millions of years of meteors falling here and adding mass to the Planet. But this talk of massive giant humans is interesting but until I can look at a real fossil it will be fantasy to myself.

Sandy meteors making the Earth fatter.

Quite a concept. You might want to look into that.
Or not.

Harte

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

A2D

Yes, I'm familiar with Wolff's Law. Familiar enough to know that it doesn't apply to the scenario of a 24' tall 6.5 ton human being. Some examples which It applies to would be a tennis player where the bones of the racket holding arm will gain dentist over time due to heavier usage. Once that tennis player retires or gets injured and stops playing, the chemicals that signal release of osteocytes cease to do so and the bone density will slowly return to normal. The numbers I cited in my earlier post are solid and apply to up scaling any living organism. Unless you can show me where they are incorrect or provide a citation supporting the veracity of Wolff's Law as applied to human scaled up to 24' in height, or even better the long bones of a 24' tall individual, I'm not going to be terribly surprised by what a skeleton can do based on nearly 3 decades of studying them.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
All well and good, until modern evidence of giants is presented:

Harte

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

That hardly counts. Everyone knows Asians are tiny little people and that plane was relegated strictly for domestic flights within Singapore alone. Besides, that guy definitely doesn't have red hair. I just can't be certain about how many rows of teeth he has.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Lol...so you're saying that a larger mass putting larger stress on a body doesn't induce Wolff's Law? Please. Any evidence to support that claim? Because as far as I'm concerned EVERY STRESS PUT ON THE BODY INDUCES WOLFF'S LAW. There are no exceptions.

A2D

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Alight no picking on the soulless gingers...

They have none, you know....

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Lol...so you're saying that a larger mass putting larger stress on a body doesn't induce Wolff's Law? Please. Any evidence to support that claim? Because as far as I'm concerned EVERY STRESS PUT ON THE BODY INDUCES WOLFF'S LAW. There are no exceptions.

A2D

Show me physical remains, a long bone preferably if a complete or post cranial is unavailable. And from there we can discern many variables to discuss. We don't have that though. The size of the minimum breeding population required to maintain any species, let alone a giant one, would leave clear and discernable markers in both the geologic and archaeological records. That fingerprint does not exist.

You're so focused on this one little hope in favor of giants to the exclusion of every other fact. Even IF simply scaling up and increasing bone density were all that was necessary for an organism to attain such mass it ignores every other physiological factor, including the most important one here, bipedalism.

Can you name a single bipedal organism, devoid of a tail, that stands over 10 feet tall?

As I mentioned in the post you initially replied to, the largest current land mammal is an Elephant. Their thick hide has nothing to do with predation. It is as thick and dense as it is to compensate for the higher fluid pressure that exists to keep blood flowing and the cells oxygenated. This is just one of many other physiological adaptations necessary for an organism of this size to not just exist, but to thrive as well.

I'm sorry but Inverse Squared Law trumps Wolff in this scenario.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Might as well be arguing about whether a unicorn horn is spiral or straight.

Inverse-square, Wolf's law... both are pointless without any evidence.

Harte

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I never said I believe in giants...and I never said there was evidence to support their existence...I only pointed out that a skeleton MAY be able to adapt to the stresses that a large body would put on them. Reading comprehension is a thing.

A2D

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I never said I believe in giants...and I never said there was evidence to support their existence...I only pointed out that a skeleton MAY be able to adapt to the stresses that a large body would put on them.

Over multiple generations and as a gradual process, yes. However, as the bones of all giant creatures show, these adaptations aren't simply "the bone gets bigger." It also gets thicker (and shortens relative to the original structure.) Shapes change because the torque and stress of added muscle mass require a different setup.

You can compare by looking at this page on giraffe cervical vertebare.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Exactly my point. Saying that a skeleton couldn't support a large mass is just nonsense. A skeleton, just like anything else, can evolve over time to support whatever it is required to support...giants are by no means "impossible", just highly unlikely

A2D

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Exactly my point. Saying that a skeleton couldn't support a large mass is just nonsense. A skeleton, just like anything else, can evolve over time to support whatever it is required to support...giants are by no means "impossible", just highly unlikely

A2D

ok now we've established (in your mind) that large skeletons are possible
do you have any ?
I haven't seen any, have you ?
should be loads around, especially considering their robustness...

edit on 15-2-2016 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Like I said, I don't believe they exist. I don't know why you're asking me for skeletons when I clearly haven't seen any, nor do I think any exist...I'm only saying the POSSIBILITY is there...jeez...reading comprehension is at an all time low on ATS these days...

A2D

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

a reply to: Marduk

Like I said, I don't believe they exist. I don't know why you're asking me for skeletons when I clearly haven't seen any, nor do I think any exist...I'm only saying the POSSIBILITY is there...jeez...reading comprehension is at an all time low on ATS these days...

A2D

You can say what you want, but there's a difference between something being possible and something being real
The difference is evidence, so I wanted to know if you had any
Great if you haven't got any, kind of speaks to the fact that giants don't exist

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

A2D

Depends on your definition of giant. Nine foot tall is probably the limits with a standard human skeleton and even then you will get early death from cardio insufficiency and bone fractures. Even an external artificial exoskeleton won't extend it by much.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Granted, a standard human skeleton hasn't evolved to support a larger body structure...and the organs that reside inside said skeleton for protection also have not evolved to support a larger structure either...but that does not mean they CAN'T. Evolution is a wonderful thing that can do many things one might think impossible...

@Marduk, of course giants don't exist. I've never said anything contrary to the fact. And obviously there is a difference in possibility and existence...as I'm only pointing out the physiological possibility via mechanisms such as evoltuion(like i've stated already, numerous times)...not the actual existence thereof.

A2D
edit on 15-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The tall white giants were Annunaki-Orion giants.
The Iroquois, we knew them as the stone giants. We even have a story about how we helped one of the stone giants wives from him killing her. So apparently they were domestically abusive too.
The Algonquins named them the Wendigo. Tall red-headed cannibals.
They were hostile to the Natives and to themselves.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join