It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Diet Will Kill You

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ConMi27

I have chronic migraines and a bone spur in my neck. Between them, I experience some degree of pain for much of my life.

Why on earth would you assume that I would be interested in taking way one of the genuine pleasures left in my life - tasty, tasty food - in order to prolong a life of already chronic pain?

What kind of a monster are you?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

What I'm talking about specifically in regards to mental illness, is that your overall social status is often lower in society. This can also be witnessed in the animal kingdom as well. Mental illness is stigmatized, there's roughly over 1.5 million homeless people in the U.S nationally. Many of them are homeless because they've been ostracized by society due to mental illness and drug abuse for self medication. They're are other reasons too aside from what I mentioned.

If your taking what I stated earlier in this thread personally, than I'm afraid you misinterpreted what I stated. Did I say that I was lower than people with mental illness? Could you quote me exactly where I stated that?
Also what's with the ad hominems? Your response to me is quite ironic.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: NautPsycho
B12 is found in various forms of seaweed, supplements and if you grow your own food or source it from organic farmers who know how to treat their soil properly, plants will grow with good levels of usable b12. In a perfect World though right? You threaten the ATS cafeteria with truthful ways to better their life and they go ham thinking you are forcing beliefs down their Shepard pie hole. Why let what we evolved from dictate what we are evolving towards?

It's not us, meat eaters that are wrong, it's you who don't understand biology. Allow me to tell you the truth, the real science:

1) The B12 in seaweed comes from a bacteria!! I quote:

Many seaweeds have been shown to have B12 analogues. Seaweeds are macroalgae, which are technically not plants. Some macroalgae contain an enzyme that can use cobalamin. These macroalgae do not make their own cobalamin, but rather have a symbiotic relationship with cobalamin-producing bacteria. Note that I am purposefully using the term "cobalamin" rather than "vitamin B12" because it is not clear if these cobalamins are active vitamin B12 in humans.
(Smith AG, Croft MT, Moulin M, Webb ME. Plants need their vitamins too. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2007 Jun;10(3):266-75. Epub 2007 Apr 16)

So: seaweed is not a plant and it does not contain B12.

2) Supplements are not natural, they are all man made. If technology didn't exist you wouldn't have them this is why people in poor countries cannot afford to be vegan.

3) The only way to grow plants with 'some' B12 is by using lots of animal manure or human faeces and the vegetables still have extremely low amounts of B12 but you still need animal products to achieve it! (Mozafar A. Enrichment of some B-vitamins in plants with application of organic fertilizers. Plant Soil. 1994;167:305–31). Or you could grow vegetables using idroponics and enrich them with vitamin B12, which is like supplements: man made.

We simply did not evolve to be strict vegans. Like I said before, being vegan / vegetarian for a few days a week is really healthy , and it does cut down on many diseases. But, big BUT, we are omnivores and our need for vitamin B12 proves that.

edit on 1-12-2015 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Remember the saying: One complex B a day keep the Korsakoff away.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
As already mentioned... Life kills... we all die its just a matter of how and when..

on a side note.. many people eat meat they raised themselves, or hunted and killed themselves..

I grew up raising cattle, ive hunted my entire life pretty much, ive made my own sausage as well... when I couldnt raise my own beef, I researched local meat markets got to know the people and made sure what I was getting was as close to what I had growing up as possible.

All in all I would say most of the meat I have eaten in my life is pretty fricking healthy.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

Yes totally agree, our present society is a business model, by that all "activity" health, war medicine etc., must in a Capitalistic society comply with that. The Political officers are everywhere, getting paid to maintain the established system. The Corporate model has in its Charter the right of financial self preservation first and foremost. Its a control system that works like no other, and at the grass roots level the fear is palpable. The disincentives for not complying are pretty grim, the examples of non compliance, are all around, living on the streets.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly
a reply to: Agartha

Remember the saying: One complex B a day keep the Korsakoff away.

hahaha And avoid becoming an alcoholic!
lol

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I'm going to eat meat until I die. Not eating meat will only keep you hanging around the nursing home another ten years IMHO.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
My diet for today. One apple. One orange. Half of a wild duck. 2 quarts of beer. A handful of walnuts. I'm healthy as a bear. Cry if you want to cry.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: NautPsycho

Your argument would have merit if we were the same exact version of Human that first walked the earth. We aren't. Our modern epigenetics are not set the same as they were 100+ thousand years ago. That's A LOT of epigenetic changes influenced by A LOT of different factors over A LOT of generations, doing, breathing, drinking, eating who knows what between then & now that lead to us as we are now. Food, environment, and yes, stress all impact the genes future generations get. Thank Ugg & the rest of the ancient hunter-gatherers for yours. They played a part in your genetics, in more ways than just procreation.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Voyager1

I actually love the taste of duck. But since I can't hunt and generally don't have access to these kinds of animals (and I don't eat the animals I can eat lol), I never get to have it.

But since not eating meat, I've also learned to respect a living creature more than a dead one.

Needless to say that does not mean, I don't like the taste of duck. It is definitely a double edged sword.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Voyager1
I'm going to eat meat until I die. Not eating meat will only keep you hanging around the nursing home another ten years IMHO.

LOL

This may be true, but hopefully I'll be so sustainable in my younger years, this nursing home thing you speak of will be a thing of the past.

In some countries, they keep their grandparents with them until their grandparents die no matter how ill they get or unbecoming they become. Such a Benjamin Franklin whom was often seen running in the streets with his clothes off, in his later years of life. (You can think my history professor for that tad bit of knowledge lol)

I wouldn't want to burden my kids, but some bit of burden can't be too bad

*Sorry about the rants, not sorry*

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

originally posted by: NautPsycho
B12 is found in various forms of seaweed, supplements and if you grow your own food or source it from organic farmers who know how to treat their soil properly, plants will grow with good levels of usable b12. In a perfect World though right? You threaten the ATS cafeteria with truthful ways to better their life and they go ham thinking you are forcing beliefs down their Shepard pie hole. Why let what we evolved from dictate what we are evolving towards?

It's not us, meat eaters that are wrong, it's you who don't understand biology. Allow me to tell you the truth, the real science:

1) The B12 in seaweed comes from a bacteria!! I quote:

Many seaweeds have been shown to have B12 analogues. Seaweeds are macroalgae, which are technically not plants. Some macroalgae contain an enzyme that can use cobalamin. These macroalgae do not make their own cobalamin, but rather have a symbiotic relationship with cobalamin-producing bacteria. Note that I am purposefully using the term "cobalamin" rather than "vitamin B12" because it is not clear if these cobalamins are active vitamin B12 in humans.
(Smith AG, Croft MT, Moulin M, Webb ME. Plants need their vitamins too. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2007 Jun;10(3):266-75. Epub 2007 Apr 16)

So: seaweed is not a plant and it does not contain B12.

2) Supplements are not natural, they are all man made. If technology didn't exist you wouldn't have them this is why people in poor countries cannot afford to be vegan.

3) The only way to grow plants with 'some' B12 is by using lots of animal manure or human faeces and the vegetables still have extremely low amounts of B12 but you still need animal products to achieve it! (Mozafar A. Enrichment of some B-vitamins in plants with application of organic fertilizers. Plant Soil. 1994;167:305–31). Or you could grow vegetables using idroponics and enrich them with vitamin B12, which is like supplements: man made.

We simply did not evolve to be strict vegans. Like I said before, being vegan / vegetarian for a few days a week is really healthy , and it does cut down on many diseases. But, big BUT, we are omnivores and our need for vitamin B12 proves that.

BUT what if, we didn't need b12? Are there animals out there whom don't consume meat products and their bodies need b12? *twilight theme song* I'm probably going to look into that. Lol

Thanks for the response!

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I want to ask just one question. Can anyone state one product that over the last 50 years that hasnt been (at one time) proven to cause cancer ?

Remember, everyone who has cancer has drunk water, and breathed air....

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Life is the most terminal disease of all ...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
about b12:
- there are just as many meat eater also with this deficiency
- it is in eggs
- it is in milk

www.dairynutrition.ca...
ods.od.nih.gov...

So strictly vegan diet could cause problems. But in my opinion if you are a strict vegan, than you should plant your own vegis and fruits and than even this should not be a problem.

The users who are saying they eat meat for b12 vitamin should do some more research. Meat is not a good source for many. Statistic does not lie. If it were than meat eaters would not have this problem also. And there are as much vegans as meat eaters with this deficiency. So just stop with the fear and do research yourself.

We are a fruit eaters by nature. No meat required!

I am a vegetarian/fruitarian myself for a few years now and I have never felt better. I try to mix it up as much as I can with various fruits, vegis, nuts, eggs and milk etc...with no supplement whatsoever. I have more energy than many of my meat eating friends and I am also healthier.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: UniFinity
about b12:
- there are just as many meat eater also with this deficiency
- it is in eggs
- it is in milk

www.dairynutrition.ca...
ods.od.nih.gov...

So strictly vegan diet could cause problems. But in my opinion if you are a strict vegan, than you should plant your own vegis and fruits and than even this should not be a problem.

The users who are saying they eat meat for b12 vitamin should do some more research. Meat is not a good source for many. Statistic does not lie. If it were than meat eaters would not have this problem also. And there are as much vegans as meat eaters with this deficiency. So just stop with the fear and do research yourself.

We are a fruit eaters by nature. No meat required!

I am a vegetarian/fruitarian myself for a few years now and I have never felt better. I try to mix it up as much as I can with various fruits, vegis, nuts, eggs and milk etc...with no supplement whatsoever. I have more energy than many of my meat eating friends and I am also healthier.

I'm going to be honest with you. I've been on and off vegetarian for about 6 years, on more-so than off, and this year I read four books (Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz, Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, Veganist by Kathy Freston, Ominvores Delimma by Michael Pollan) that have really changed my outlook entirely. (I really want to read the China Study because it's the biggest study on health and nutrition that has ever been written but ehhhh, it's a bit pricey)

So I went from "mostly vegetarian every other year" to strict, no fish or little to no eggs or dairy, and I SWEAR BY IT I've no longer needed naps to stay awake, I don't have a hard time sleeping, and I feel lighter. Like I weigh less. (Even though my weight is constant.)

And I eat TONS of vegetables. Kale, spinach, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots. I've learned to make lentils, and tofu.
Overall = happier just because I feel like I'm better. So SORRY FOR THE LONG RANT, but, I KNOW what ya mean.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
nice rant, I like it! : )

just don't stress out to much by thinking about it to much. Food is important but peaceful mental state is more important. So whatever you eat if it makes you relaxed and happy, this is great and it is good for you. Meat or no meat.

Each person has different condition:
- life situation
- mind
- activity/sports
- allergies

Eat accordingly to your conditions and what works for you the most. Each person is different.
But avoid eating to much of the same stuff, processed foods, sweets and drinking alcohol.
Once you clean out the garbage, the body will be a good indicator about what you eat is good or bad as you will notice general well being is ok or not by feeling soon after eating. Just like you said.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
My diet today...half dozen blue crabs dipped in butter, 3 oranges, 6-pack of barley pop. I feel like King Kong.
edit on 8-12-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity

Shoot, we can get our Bs AND protein from plant based food more effectively. Forget meat. Especially now that most is junk anyway.

I myself am also an on and off veggie/fruit/superfood. More on than off.

Oh ill enjoy a steak every now and then, even mainstream crap.

However I can vouch for other posters such as yourself and the surrounding others. When my diet is on, I'm on. Physically, mentally, spiritually.

I'm nuts about healthy food.

Chaga mushroom is miraculous, Fermented Kombucha tea, reishi, to name a few must consumes IMO.

Once cannabis has made it through all the hoops, A lot of green infused products will be available for a raw vegan diet.

Food is our medicine people. Red meat is a freaking carcinogen. Ill take the extra years. I've Seen 80 year old people happy as a clam and still athletic.

Sad and insensitive to say but I suspect many of the aforermentiomed ailments were either a direct or contributing result of poor diet.

Fully agree with bypassing simple wheat, flour, dairy, ect........there are ancient grains everyone. Also 'milks' derived from nuts, which are far superior to dairy in all ways.

Also, on living happy as an excuse not to change eating habits. Poor nutrition effects our minds/moods/mental well being as well. I've heard that excuse quite a bit and see right through it as a cop out.

All my opinion of course, peace.

edit on 8-12-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join