It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Turkey closed the Bosphorus strait?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I have got many an article that turned out to be truth from that website way before any other had the balls to publish it and it has over 3 million listeners a day.
The likes of the BBC are told what to say and how to say it by the Government so infowars.com might be a tad ostentatious but at least it's not a mouth piece of Establishment rhetoric.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: southbeach

www.infowars.com...

www.infowars.com...

He publishes everything and anything, no vetting, and many times it's false.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I would expect unrest to increase as more Russians would be out for blood, looking to an impotent leader may cause ripples in Putins hold on power
More recruitment perhaps

edit on 29-11-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
I would expect unrest to increase as more Russians would be out for blood, looking to an impotent leader may cause ripples in Putins hold on power
More recruitment perhaps

That's the logical response. People are usually not logical.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I think the phrase "even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while" works. More often than not they push a story, and like others have said, without vetting it. I saw one sometime back where they were going on and on about a fema camp being built at LAX. Turns out it was a joint rental car lot.

Infowars falls under the "trust but verify" rule.
edit on 29-11-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Right ill take it there are not many fans of infowars on here which is fine and i get peoples points about a broken clock being right twice a day but it has been taken from the Turkishstraits website so i think we have to disern if that has any honesty merit to it.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: mash3d
A bit of back ground for those that may no know.
The whole reason Russian made a stink and sized Crimea was that fact that it's Russia only warm water port.
Russia's black sea fleet was stationed there. I'm not sure how big of part it plays in trade and oil transfer but it's a piece of real estate Russia did not want to lose access to.
Problem is to get from the Black sea to the Mediterranean Russian ships still have to sail through the Bosphorus strait and the Dardanelles strait.
Both of which are surrounded and controlled by Turkey.
Technically by several legal agreements Turkey cannot just close the straits to Russian shipping.
They can legally stop Russian Naval vessels, and any other nations warships that is does not have land touching the Black sea.

Erodgen has threatened to close the straits before but what do you think would happen if they did it for real?

Closing that strait will result in war no doubt about it. Closing it to Russian milit-tree ships will be a deliberate attempt to make war with Russia. The legalities of it will be merely the pretext.

If Turkey wants to sacrifice itself for the benefit of its western masters they have every right to do it but does the govt of Turkey have the right to sacrifice its citzens in the process?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Russia sanctions Turkey, Turkey sanctions back with closing the straight.

If you think that is "war" then Russia already declared it.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Send in AE2. Worked for a bit in WW1.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

originally posted by: mash3d
A bit of back ground for those that may no know.
The whole reason Russian made a stink and sized Crimea was that fact that it's Russia only warm water port.
Russia's black sea fleet was stationed there. I'm not sure how big of part it plays in trade and oil transfer but it's a piece of real estate Russia did not want to lose access to.
Problem is to get from the Black sea to the Mediterranean Russian ships still have to sail through the Bosphorus strait and the Dardanelles strait.
Both of which are surrounded and controlled by Turkey.
Technically by several legal agreements Turkey cannot just close the straits to Russian shipping.
They can legally stop Russian Naval vessels, and any other nations warships that is does not have land touching the Black sea.

Erodgen has threatened to close the straits before but what do you think would happen if they did it for real?

Closing that strait will result in war no doubt about it. Closing it to Russian milit-tree ships will be a deliberate attempt to make war with Russia. The legalities of it will be merely the pretext.

If Turkey wants to sacrifice itself for the benefit of its western masters they have every right to do it but does the govt of Turkey have the right to sacrifice its citzens in the process?

Odd you think Russia can do what they want to Turkey but if Turkey reciprocates somehow that's an act of war? First Russia isn't going to declare war on Turkey it's a losing situation for putin. He knows not to push it to that extreme even the Soviets backed down in the same situation and negotiated. Unless you believe putin is just so unstable he will risk everything for ego. I don't think so myself because he knows a conflict with Turkey will effect him in many areas of the world. And then it would further ruin the Russian economy that's already on life support.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach
a reply to: Xcathdra

Right ill take it there are not many fans of infowars on here which is fine and i get peoples points about a broken clock being right twice a day but it has been taken from the Turkishstraits website so i think we have to disern if that has any honesty merit to it.

Maybe some truth to it since they are looking at shipping in the area. Or could be as I said they are just putting Russian ships on hold to make a point. The financial ramifications for Russia would be extremely painful. So I could see Turkey giving a warning to putin

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The Russians seem to be a bit cautious passing through the Bosphorus nowadays.....wtf is this about??!...is this standard??

twitter.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Azureblue

Russia sanctions Turkey, Turkey sanctions back with closing the straight.

If you think that is "war" then Russia already declared it.

Russia's sanctions against Turkey are purely symbolic. Simply because that is all Russia can afford. The Gulf States would be happy to take Russia's natural gas and oil sales in Turkey and see the joint Russian Turkish pipeline deals shut down. Which is why Russia's response has been so muted, they simply can not afford to loose Turkish business.

As for the OP, the Turks have no reason to close the straights but, hypothetically if they did the only thing Russia could do is complain in the UN. Even without NATO Russia is in no shape to invade Turkey. The problems it would cause with Russia's own Muslim population and the call to Jihad that bring support from most Muslims nations would just make matters all the worse for Russia.

Of course none of that is going to happen as what we have between Russia and Turkey is nothing but, a he said she said debate. Turkeys many friends and allies while advising caution have made clear Turkey would be defended. On the other side of the coin Russia would have no help. China will not even back Russia with words because China needs Turkish help in keeping its own Muslim population in check.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: frozenP
The Russians seem to be a bit cautious passing through the Bosphorus nowadays.....wtf is this about??!...is this standard??

twitter.com...

Paranoia and Russia trying to play the victim card for the Russian people. Although doing that runs the risk of Russia violating the Montreux agreement.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
whats up with all the double posts lately.
edit on 4-12-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Excellent analysis as usual. I'd just like to add that Turkey is not a weak, post-Soviet shell like Georgia or Ukraine. The country has a strong, modern military with excellent training, equipment, and morale. Russian forces are stretched thin. Since Turkey has a navy larger than Russia's Black Sea fleet, and is capable of mining the strait, Russia would need to rely entirely on air power as it has in Syria. Unlike the Syrian rebels, Turkey has sophisticated anti-Aircraft capacities. How many downed Russian pilots are the Russian public going to permit before it starts to question Putin's choices?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Bosphorous needs no closing unless Russia provokes it .

So far the Turks are attempting to de-escalate the situation but Putin is not willing to it seems and still is making threats of obscure nature.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Even without NATO Russia is in no shape to invade Turkey.

Hence Russia's constant saber rattling with the nukes.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

What is a reliable source then?

Not Alex Jones.

Your local newspaper reporter would be more credible than infowars.

I have noticed a current theme on here when people link to news websites and they are dismissed as not reliable yet the mainstream media are the biggest propagandists and are totally unreliable as being honest.

Infowars is not a news site, it'a a place to draw in the gullible conspiracy theorist.

As for being honest...what has infowars reported on that was actually the truth, or even remotely close to the truth?

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

So far the Turks are attempting to de-escalate the situation but Putin is not willing to it seems and still is making threats of obscure nature.

They need to be obscure because he cannot deliver on anything specific.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join