It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Holliday Diamond Advertizing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:51 PM
a reply to: DBCowboy
I loathe the Kay jewelers commercials. It's idiotic. Of course every kiss begins with K. It's simple spelling. Dumb.
Here is something you'll be interested in:

The ironic thing is that when I clicked the video to play it an ad for Tiffany jewelers came up.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:07 PM
a reply to: schuyler

This wasn't a message or a theme. I'm not interested in telling anyone what they should or should not do. More of an acknowledgement that I am being played and playing as well.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:20 PM
I've never been a jewelry or clothing type gal myself. I settled for a sapphire engagement ring and we just used it again for the wedding because I truly didn't care and we were broke anyhow.

I've never even had my ears pierced.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:27 PM
I think family guy did a skit of a diamond commercial.
It shows two people behind a curtain and the narrator says, "she'll pretty much have to"
I haven't been able to find the clip.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:27 PM
a reply to: schuyler

They're in charge of their own lives and make their own decisions and we're not asked to intercede on their behalf from making decisions we think are ill-advised. Have you ever raised kids? If you have, you know what I mean.

You are right that people should be allowed to make their own decisions, even if we think they are bad ones, but I feel we do have a responsibility to inform others if we know something potentially harmful or deadly could occur from their actions.

After you have educated someone that the snake they are playing with is a coral snake and not a corn snake; if they continue to place it around their neck, it is on them. For years the tobacco company denied the dangers of cigarettes, yet now it seems that its harmful effects have deemed it mandatory that all persons and businesses intercede.

As a parent we have the responsibility of protecting our children from things that they may not know may be harmful to themselves or others. So while it may not be the most pleasant thing we have to do, it is right that we intercede when the potential of harm is present.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 07:45 PM
I personally think diamonds are ugly. Plus, they are worthless sitting in a piece of jewelry. Diamonds are much better when functional.

My wedding ring is is a silver Celtic knot wedding band, that honoured his ancestry. It has meaning, where as a diamond ring bought for the sake of buying a diamond, has zero sentimental value to me. If it was a family heirloom, or made to look just like the ring of someone special who had passed, sure, but it needs to have meaning.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 08:23 PM
I told my husband once if he ever bought me jewelry, he better think twice, because it'd never get worn.

Maybe I'm an abnormal female, but I don't want body adornment crap for gifts if someone gives me one, I'd much rather have useful things. I won't get angry over tools (I can put them to good use, quality tools are mucho appreciated) Think about items in the house that get regular or heavy use. Vacuum dying, or dead? OMG, yes, a new one would be AWESOME. Microwave dying? Ditto, a new one would rock more than a clear rock. Or even just having items repaired would put me over the moon. When I pointed out this kind of stuff to him, he looked at me like I had 5 heads, but obliged. In 11 years, 9 of it married, he's not faltered on that. Been stumped a few times, definitely, but never resorted to "I can't think of anything else" jewelry

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 09:03 PM
My wife and I married nearly 40 years ago...The ring was my mom's given to me for that one reason. That is the wedding ring my wife still wears today. No issues to report (well , as far as diamonds go) . Of course today , you would probably give $20,000 for what costed $1,000 back then.

edit on 29-11-2015 by Gothmog because: add

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 09:38 PM
a reply to: Nyiah
If you are abnormal, then it sounds like you are in good company with myself and a couple other women who have posted in this thread.

When you buy jewelry, you are only feeding an industry that tells people what they want. Granted, a vacuum is a necessity, that if it breaks, I am going to go out and get a new one before someone has the chance to gift me one, but a better one?

What I really want right now, is a staple gun, hand saw a miter box. I have had this idea for homemade shelves and storage nooks for a while. My S.O. reads ATS so who knows.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 09:40 PM
a reply to: Nyiah
Girl after my own heart. Nothing makes a job go faster then having the right tool for the task. I love getting those odd job tools as gifts. I have spent many an hour sweating over tasks that would have gone so much faster if I had had the proper tool, but just couldn't afford or justify the cost.

I usually gift myself a really good pair of working gloves on my birthday, if I don't get a pair. My friends and family, know they can't go wrong with candles, any kind of work gloves, or tools when getting me a gift, and yet I am still very much the girlie girl, even if I am an old broad.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 09:58 PM
I've never been a jewelry type woman myself. My husband and I bought our wedding rings in a set that included the diamond engagement ring nearly 20 years ago and I think all three were a little more than a grand.... And that was partly due to financing it I'm sure.

We were poor when we met and poor when we married. We even married at the magistrates office for under $300. That included the license fee, the new clothes, the tip, etc.

About 12 years ago he thought he would like to buy me a bigger diamond and bought me a one carat solitaire that costs who knows how much with a sapphire and diamond wrap.

It was beautiful, I'll give it that.

It was also hocked for a cool grand several years later when times got hard.

I think the commercials made him think that he needed to have his wife walk around with a bigger rock than she had... I appreciated the sentiment and appreciated that it was as valuable as it was when I let it go lol.

I still love my "chip" and would have had a much harder time letting that go than I did the big fancy one.

Go figure. My husband has since learned.

edit on 11/29/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 10:19 PM
Diamonds were not that valuable till some people decided to convince people to buy them which created a lot of money for these people. A hundred years ago they were cheap. The rubies and emeralds and many other stones were the precious stones, not diamonds. But people are easy, you can talk them into buying a little rock for a month's worth of pay.

People get rich off of those rocks. Being hard does not make them worth more. People think it makes them look more prestigious when they wear them. I think it makes them look a little brainwashed.

I have a nice piece of quartzite in the basement and also some chert. Both of those, like flint, can start a fire if you do not have matches. They are free, being common rocks around here.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 10:23 PM

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 12:52 AM
a reply to: catcrawler

gotta love ron white!!!! I heard something on the radio recently...some rich guys figured out how to grow diamonds...they take really tiny ones and expose them to incredible heat with some sort of medium and they grow like crazy and will be cheap and plentifull

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:04 AM
I love how everyone thinks diamonds are a rip off.

Yet people will spend $2,000 on a TV...

I bought my fiance a very large and flashy engagement ring, and have no regrets.

It's easier to jump on the "hater train" though. Down with McDonalds! Down with non-organic produce! Down with Walmart! I love how most of us would buy the ones we love expensive diamonds, and our loved ones would want expensive diamonds if they knew money wasn't an issue.

"But she really doesn't want a big diamond!" Sure, if you don't have a lot of money. Lots of people say they don't want something but secretly wouldn't mind having it.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:40 AM
I love jewelry!!!!! The thing is, there are fake diamonds and crystals that sparkle just as beautifully. I have often received compliments on a couple of my CZ's with people making comments on how it must be nice to have money. LOL That's one thing I never had a lot of! Their jaws dropped when I told them they weren't real. You couldn't tell the difference between my real or fake ones. So...if it sparkles and it's pretty, no need to spend a small fortune.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 01:41 AM
My main reason for not wanting real rocks is I've known enough older ladies with impressive crown settings that have always lost stones....and because they're sentimentally attached to their rings, they have to replace the stone. It's freaking expensive as heck.

I'd much rather have something affordable with a lower loss rate. Even my wedding band right now is gorgeous, but just silver plated. My engagement was solid silver, handmade ring found on the street by chance. One of a kind and more precious to me than the moon and stars because of how it was as if the Universe gifted us that little kindness, as if to say "hey, you're dirt poor but we like should get hitched."

What it comes down to I think is more the romantic weaving of personal symbolism than a cut and dried advertisement on "what women really want".

It's harder buying for men....socks and he's happy. If I could I buy him a plot of land and a woodshed so he can work with his crafting skills....and I'd much rather what little finances we have goes towards tools to help build our dreams as opposed to a sparklie that just sits there looking pretty and not much else.

Not to mention, people tend to covet gemstones and precious metals and nothing with that much envy surrounding it is worthwhile in my world.

But like I said earlier....different strokes for different folks.

Be happy.

Life is short enough without being cynical all the time...especially about inanimate objects.

edit on 11/30/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 05:22 AM
a reply to: MystikMushroom

No t.v. in my house, but I do buy organic, and avoid Wal-mart.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 06:06 AM

I bought my wife a diamond plated Mercedes.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:23 AM
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yet people will spend $2,000 on a TV...  

Folks that spend $2000+ on a TV, are likely to spend $600+ every time their cell phone company has a new promotion, and they are the target audience.

I just wish people found less pleasure and value in things that they feel separates them from others than they do from those things that connect them.

I have to agree with @General Eyes. Items that are designed to make others covet, whether they are bragging about how theirs is bigger, better, brighter, or secretly wishing they had one, and it was bigger, better of brighter, creates just another artificial difference for us that can, and will be exploited.

My shed and garage are full of old, unused, or nonworking appliances, electronics, and TVs, going back over 40 years. I rarely watch TV, and would not even bother having one set up in my house, if my mother didn't enjoy watching her odd show here and there.

I don't want these items in a landfill near me, and I can't give them away for parts, because they will end up contaminating the soil and water in some third world country, which with time, the results will be even more devastating. I am not blaming people for going along with the present social construct. It is designed to make it extremely difficult to break away from what we have been conditioned to consider normal. I just believe in informed consent.

edit on 30-11-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: First post from mobile. Don't ask me what my mobile did to that first post.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>