It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holliday Diamond Advertizing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It started right after Halloween. First Kays Jewelers, then the "Buy a diamond for your friend" blitzkrieg. Diamonds, diamonds, diamonds.

You can only show your love if you buy her a diamond.

So if you buy her a smaller gift, hand make a card, hold her and treat her right, it is all secondary if you don't buy her a diamond.

BUY HER A DIAMOND NOW OR ELSE SHE'LL THINK YOU DON'T LOVE HER!!!

You can't really love her unless you buy her a diamond. You are a loser if you don't buy her a diamond.

SHE SHOULD DIVORCE YOU IF YOU AREN'T MAN ENOUGH TO BUY HER A DIAMOND!

That's the advertising message being bombarded across the airwaves every hour on the hour.

My wife and I laughed at the commercials. We chuckled at the constant barrage of suggestions to buy her a diamond. She said not to buy her a diamond. Anything BUT a diamond.

I agreed with her.

SO I bought her a sapphire-diamond combination in white gold.

JUST to show how much I love her, of course.

I'm such a loser, I hate tv.

But now my wife will know how much I love her. Right?

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I have a similar beef with all the car commercials that basically do the same. I mean ... who has the money to buy their wife or husband a new luxury SUV with a bow on it for Christmas?!

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

My wife and I laughed at the commercials. We chuckled at the constant barrage of suggestions to buy her a diamond. She said not to buy her a diamond. Anything BUT a diamond.

my wife and i are the same.
she wears a lab created rock and does not want a real one.

it is retarded how much people spend on that #. you know youre 'supposed' to spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring?

hell no.

i dont know who really does spend that much but any amount is too much.
if i was going to spend 3 months salary on an item for her, it would be a sick ass car and maybe a spinning wheel. not a damn diamond

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

im sure people rack the debt up doing just that.

new cars for their pain in the ass little brats that just turned 16 and have had their license for a week.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Consumerism spreads like the flu this time of season.

I feel like i caught it already

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I totally agree with you.

Diamonds are worthless stones which have been made artificially scarce by DeBeers. It is a horrible scam rife with corruption. Good thing my wife doesn't care about those silly rocks.

ETA: Google "De Beers Evil" for fun reading if you like.

edit on 2015/11/29 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
When we decided to get married, my husband fretted over the diamond thing....he wanted to buy me "sparklie". I said hell no.

We settled on one of those CZ engagement rings at Wally World for $8.88.
Pretty ring with three sparklies. I keep it in a safe place to enjoy every so often.

Can't wear it on the regular...I play guitar and work with my hands and having a simple band with no stones is much more my speed...it worked out wonderfully for us....I love him more than I ever would a "sparklie".

I dunno....maybe I'm one of those weirdo mutant women.

Still, love is love and if your love happens to afford the real rocks and it makes you both happy...ROCK ON!

edit on 11/29/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
When I was young I found a diamond ring at the bottom of a pool. I took it to a jeweler and was told that one just like it would sell in his store for $400. I took it to a pawn broker and he offered me ten bucks.

Like so much of modern society they are illusions, worthless illusions. They only have value as long as people believe the hype they are sold with. In the meantime the mining industry, an industry built on lying and near slave labor continues on its merry way.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
As much as I can say (online) that I won't fall for any of it or that my wife doesn't want this, it's as much as a sham as the advertising.

She does like shiny pretty things and I like buying them for her (though not in the sizes seen on tv).

Advertizing plays me. And does it well.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Yeah the programming, er I mean commercials for diamonds are absurd. There are so many different stones and rare crystals out there. Plus you don't know if the diamonds were ecologically soundly mined for and what the people in say, Africa are being paid for getting them.
I like diamonds only when they are accentuating another stone.
Good job on the sapphire and diamond, DBcowboy. Sapphires are a beautiful stone.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Aren't most of the rocks at the jewelry stores lab made these days anyway?
Finding rocks that big in the wild is pretty much a crapshoot but there sure are a lot of them out there.

Saw some "Star Wars" themed diamond pendants at the mall the other day and just kinda smirked.

High end store, too.
Wild stuff.
Sparklies.

edit on 11/29/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
So don't buy into this dreaded "consumerism."

Problem solved.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
My favorite are "champagne" or "chocolate" diamonds.
They repackaged brown diamonds that used to be ground up to make drill bits.
We were always told the four c's.
Cut
Carrot
Clarity
And color
Brown was not good color.
The intelligence of the modern consumer never fails to amaze.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

my wife and i are the same.
she wears a lab created rock and does not want a real one.

it is retarded how much people spend on that #. you know youre 'supposed' to spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring?

hell no.

i dont know who really does spend that much but any amount is too much.
if i was going to spend 3 months salary on an item for her, it would be a sick ass car and maybe a spinning wheel. not a damn diamond

Sadly, some people are shallow enough to require a nice stone. Not only as a testament to "love" but mostly a testament of the money you make and what you will do to please your wife.

Some, however, are happy with a generic stone, a rope, a paper card, because these people realize that love cannot be bought, that it exists between two people and not connected because of THINGS.

Of course, our consumerist culture tells us what we require, what we need to buy for people to truly love us, and all the other BS.

That's where we're both misled and mislead ourselves.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
So don't buy into this dreaded "consumerism."

Problem solved.

Yeah. Honestly, I wish I was smarter sometimes.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The intelligence of the modern consumer never fails to amaze.
And on that simple truth, the economy lumbers on. Were it not for what you point out, this whole thing would have been in the crapper long ago. It's like ," oh no, not the Brooklyn Bridge, that one has already been sold, but over here, I have one just as nice, and it's yours, just for the asking."

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
A lot of blood sweat and tears goes into the making of some of those diamonds.

I wouldn't be surprised if a more than one of those rocks that are to die for, sparkles with the glint of the spirit of one those that did.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Aren't most of the rocks at the jewelry stores lab made these days anyway? 
Finding rocks that big in the wild is pretty much a crapshoot but there sure are a lot of them out there. 

And it isn't just diamonds. When I thought it couldn't get any worse, I learned about Jade mining.

We won't even enter into the the human cost of those cell phones we change like underwear.

We don't have to change or do anything different. Planet Earth is going to take care of the nasty little virus that is threatening to bring it down. Sometimes it takes a good purge to get back to feeling normal.

edit on 29-11-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word edit.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

first quote: So don't buy into this dreaded "consumerism."

Problem solved. end first quote

Yeah. Honestly, I wish I was smarter sometimes.

I get it, but sarcasm from both of us aside, if everyone is so smart about this, what is the issue? Surely you're not wanting to prevent others from making their own decisions. If they are unduly influenced by advertising and rush out to buy stuff they don't need, that is surely not our issue. They're in charge of their own lives and make their own decisions and we're not asked to intercede on their behalf from making decisions we think are ill-advised.

Have you ever raised kids? If you have, you know what I mean.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join