Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Tsunami by Satellite, who knew....?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I was watching BBC News 24, and was impressed to see satellite images of the Tsunami hitting the coastline of Sri Lanka. The shots were taken before, during and after the event.

Now what confuses me about this, is the fact that whichever office is responsible for the control of that satellite, knew it was taking place prior to it hitting the coastline.

This being the case, why was it not possible to warn the likes of Thailand, Sri Lanka, India..etc...

I'm not convinced it would have saved everyone but believe it would certainly have made a considerable difference to the final death toll.

Hi-Res Tsunami Satellite Images

Edited to include Image Link

[edit on 5-1-2005 by Koka]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
Now what confuses me about this, is the fact that whichever office is responsible for the control of that satellite, knew it was taking place prior to it hitting the coastline.

Sorry for the crude drawing, its the best I could do on short notice. The tsunami wouldnt be visible from the surface of the water so space imagery would be ineffective in detecting one. The best way would be to locate the epicenter and map it, then you could predict where there may be a problem.

This is how I understand it.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I understand the inability to identify it soley by using satellites.

What I have concerns about is the fact that a satellite was pointing at the very spot where the devastation took place.

Which points to someone knowing exactly where it was heading and when it would hit.

Your image was excellent by the way, and your avatar must be massive, it's taking ages to load...

[edit on 5-1-2005 by Koka]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
www.digitalglobe.com...

When I look at a picture like this, Its like how did anything live?

Everything is gone.

looking at the pictures is looks as if the sea "got sick on the land" Every thing went from a glimming white to a dirty brown.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

your avatar must be massive, it's taking ages to load...

What, its not loading?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
If you look at the dates of some of those before pictures, some of them date back to June and even January.

The PDF's along with those images say the Sri Lanka after photos were taken 4 hours after the Tsunami hit.
The PDF of the Indonesia after photos show they were taken two days afterwards.

I don't think it's like watching a security camera where the photos are in real time.
Even if it was real time, you can't someone watching every area of the globe at once.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
If you look at the dates of some of those before pictures, some of them date back to June and even January.

The PDF's along with those images say the Sri Lanka after photos were taken 4 hours after the Tsunami hit.
The PDF of the Indonesia after photos show they were taken two days afterwards.

I don't think it's like watching a security camera where the photos are in real time.
Even if it was real time, you can't someone watching every area of the globe at once.

Yes, I noticed the dates, and will concede that the before imagery was taken sometime, almost a year, before the event. However, what about those images that were taken during the event?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I haven't seen any that were taken during the event.
Which country was shown as the waves hit?
Have you got a link? I would really like to see it.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilandrah
I haven't seen any that were taken during the event.
Which country was shown as the waves hit?
Have you got a link? I would really like to see it.

Use the link provided in the initial post, then scroll down to the Sri Lankan images.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Have you seen this?

members.chello.se...

Anyone have any more video like this?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thanks.

We can be certain that several countries recorded the quake and the US issued a warning to their naval base at Diego Garcia. Possibly they were able to turn their satellites very quickly to areas that were affected.

And really we aren't shown the actual wave as it flooded across -- we are shown 'receding waters' that would make it seem they were taken very shortly after the fact. But who knows the water may have taken a long time to recede.
Woops -- missed this

AceOfBase

[edit on 5-1-2005 by ilandrah]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It took 3 hours to travel 1,600km, I find it a little hard to swallow that the receding water would have taken very much time at all, to travel 334 metres.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy in this, just wandering how much notice is required prior to being able, when permission is granted, to move a satellite into a position so as to take those shots.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Look at this pic

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

You see the waves comming across the shore

Mod Edit: to restore thread format by changing the image to a link.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I thought that was one of the images labelled as "receding waters".
The swirls in the water are a result of the water trying to flow back into the ocean as incoming normal waves try to carry it forward.
At least that is the way it seems to me.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

What I have concerns about is the fact that a satellite was pointing at the very spot where the devastation took place.

You don't think that, perhaps, the satellites were monitoring the ocean for some other reason, and that afterwards someone went back to the records and looked at it? Or zoomed in on it to see the effects?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilandrah
I thought that was one of the images labelled as "receding waters".

You're right

earthobservatory.nasa.gov
Water is flowing out of the inundated area and back into the sea, creating turbulence offshore. Some near-shore streets and yards are covered with muddy water. It is possible that the image was acquired in a trough between wave crests. Imagery of nearby beaches shows that the edge of the ocean had receded about 150 meters from the shoreline.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by michboisnard]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

You don't think that, perhaps, the satellites were monitoring the ocean for some other reason, and that afterwards someone went back to the records and looked at it? Or zoomed in on it to see the effects?

Maybe, but would very much doubt it, satellites cost a little too much to just leave them pointing at inconsequential coast lines, which is what it was until it was hit.

There is always the chance that they happened to be monitoring the area due to the news of the initial quake.

I'm going to try and find out which satellite and organisation was responsible for the shots.

As I said before, I don't believe there is necessarily a conspiracy here, I'm just interested to find out when they were alerted to the Tsunami's existence, as I believe it would take time to get a satellite in to position and before that they would surely need permission to move it, which must take time in itself.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
For several weeks now there has been some strange weather in California. Weather systems moving in from the SW. HAARP operating data is no longer in "realtime". Could GW have used HAARP to wipe out a terrorist cell in Indonesia but didn't realize how bad it could be? Kinda like putting a egg in a mirowave? Sat pics could have been before and after for the attack. Perhaps it was a combined attack using several devices?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
For several weeks now there has been some strange weather in California. Weather systems moving in from the SW. HAARP operating data is no longer in "realtime". Could GW have used HAARP to wipe out a terrorist cell in Indonesia but didn't realize how bad it could be? Kinda like putting a egg in a mirowave? Sat pics could have been before and after for the attack. Perhaps it was a combined attack using several devices?

I don't know a great deal about HAARP, but this guy seems to think there is more to it than just a quake:

Did New York Orchestrate The Asian Tsunami?

I couldn't verify the info he's giving but can definitely remember how the initial quake was reported as 8.2 then a final figure of 9.0 was given. I'm unsure as to why these figures vary, but having experienced a severe tremor/minor quake last year, in Birmingham - UK, it was initially reported to be 5.8 but was finally reported as being 6.2.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I never believe in coincidence anymore. Two weeks before the quake the area was under a terrorist alert. Then the missing "meteor" then a "massive" quake. Now we have 10,000 Marines in the area. It just doesn't "smell" right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join