It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama urges gun control after Colorado Springs shooting: 'Enough is enough'

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
man, i got this damn spoon and fork that are making me fat.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

No I'm not trying to arm criminals.. Read ALL of my posts.

Criminals already know how to obtain weapons.
But it's surprising how many gun enthusiasts don't understand the holes in the background check system.

84% of gun owners and 74% of NRA members support universal background checks. I assume if your a paying member of NRA then you are an informed gun owner. Yet not one person in this thread agrees?

politifact

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
There are so many crazy people in this state. I need to leave

It seems like Colorado has seen more than its fair share of mass shootings. It doesn't make any sense to me. You'd think all that legal weed would chill people out.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but France has strict gun laws and they just saw the worse mass shooting any Western country has seen in years.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: HighFive

i apologies then i didn't mean to sound so accusing, i actually support owning guns its just that i think the guns need to stay out of the wrong hands. how to do that and keep gun owner rights intact? i don't have an answer to that, my brother goes to that OR school that had a shooter and theres even more places its been going on. what would you suggest to stop criminals from getting guns but to still keep your gun rights?

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Obama urges gun control after Colorado Springs shooting: 'Enough is enough'

Funny how he doesn't seem to say this after a police shooting??

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

yeah funny how that works out

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

1. Background checks for private sales are a start. Whether you buy it at Walmart or from your neighbor.
I'd prefer a system like the concealed carry card in Michigan. Once you've passed the federal check, you get a card. You can buy any gun without additional checks for a period of 5 years. If you commit a violent crime in that time period you lose your card and ability to buy guns without a background check.

2. Once all sales are going through the system, I'd like to see a system for reporting mental health problems to the agency doing the background check. Now they only use your criminal record. This is a more complex problem than background checks as far as rights go.

3. End gun free zones

Once someone who is prohibited from owning a gun can't buy one through a private sale without a background check, they will be forced to steal a gun or resort to a stolen black market gun. There is no way of stopping all criminals from getting guns.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Well done, Sublimecraft.. as usual. I wanted to read through the
whole thread before saying anything, to avoid choir-itus. Every-
body I've read through that calls the 2nd inviolable (as it well should
be and IS) should also believe all gun control laws are unconstitu-
tional. I sure do, and am among many in my area of a like mind.

But we responsible aren't the propbem... there are too many of us
locally aware that even the present firearms laws aren't being
properly enforced:
and in some heinous cases deliberately undermined by the very
people that are supposed to be enforcing them. For that reason
alone we can expect a punishment / reward system... but there
are no rewards. Not with that crew in DC. Most of us know
full well after this kind of knee-jerk and too predictable prattle
what they want... and breaking this pesky social contract con-
cerning the 2nd would be the last straw. Where's the black line
though? Where is "this and no more, or I'll turn into a radio host".

I have only one suggestion to circumvent what I see as the prime
element to triggerhapiness by the nutjobs so far. If an individual
is applying for a new FOID (white card) there should be a clause
in the application also stating there has been no presciption of
mood-altering drugs taken by the applicant in at least five years:
as well as not being an involuntary mental inpatient for as long.

The way the news is pouring in, we could all be basket cases by
the next general election anyway...

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: wildb

According to america stats, who do even report cops killing citizens for statistics. Plus not too many gang members snitch on themselves.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
All I normally hear from pro gun people is its not us it's the ray people, we need guns to protect ourselves from these people. But no one does and these people do the mass killings. I've seen examples of small time robberies but not against the mental health people who the OP blames for these gun problems.

The arguement for we need guns cos criminals can get guns no matter what the law is. This is just laughable. Of cos criminals will do this...they do it in all industries across the world. They will always find and illegal advantage. But just look at England for team please. No guns. No gun related attacks on innocent people daily. Yes you can provide the bogus reports of percentage to people but we don't have people dying daily, not even weekly.

If your constitution means you can get shot at any point during the day then why do people care about it so much?

Oh and I forgot. "I don't have a gun or want one but I will die for my right to have one". If any of you have spouted this shet before I truly feel sorry for you, there is no hope for you or open mindedness.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
All I normally hear from pro gun people is its not us it's the ray people, we need guns to protect ourselves from these people. But no one does and these people do the mass killings. I've seen examples of small time robberies but not against the mental health people who the OP blames for these gun problems.

The arguement for we need guns cos criminals can get guns no matter what the law is. This is just laughable. Of cos criminals will do this...they do it in all industries across the world. They will always find and illegal advantage. But just look at England for team please. No guns. No gun related attacks on innocent people daily. Yes you can provide the bogus reports of percentage to people but we don't have people dying daily, not even weekly.

If your constitution means you can get shot at any point during the day then why do people care about it so much?

Oh and I forgot. "I don't have a gun or want one but I will die for my right to have one". If any of you have spouted this shet before I truly feel sorry for you, there is no hope for you or open mindedness.
when we want a foreigner's opinion on our constitution or our system of laws and government we'll squeeze your head. Until then put a sock in it.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Nice open minded attitude you have there.

You should probably understand that living inside the cage doesn't give you the full perspective.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

Nice open minded attitude you have there.

You should probably understand that living inside the cage doesn't give you the full perspective.
on the contrary i am of an age where i was actually given a thorough education in civics and history. i know more about it than you can probably learn in the rest of your lifetime; and accordingly i entirely agree with the framers reasoning and reject silly advice from overseas and in lefty precincts here.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
i mean look at the generational difference here. we have pampered elite university students saying they don't particularly think the 1st amendment should apply to any thing that offends them either. so it's not just the second and fourth amendment that are under attack here. the modern generation has no idea about the value of any of the bill of rights or constitution. and their empty little heads are entirely devoid of even one basic fact of history that our education used to provide.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
For those of you (understandably, I guess?) against gun control, do you have any suggestions so as to lower the US's extremely high rate of gun violence? Control is an option that you don't seem to be willing to take, so what is the alternative? Better education at a young age? Better healthcare? A prison system that doesn't create hardened criminals out of recreational marijuana smokers?

I am aware that proper gun control is no longer an option for the US. As I stated earlier, all the criminally minded already have guns, and to an extent that would make enacting control laws have unacceptable teething problems.
Maybe an initiative to actually form proper militias, where trusted community members actually protect their community?
Well, the government wouldn't want to do that because it would strip away a bit of their control, but perhaps...

i know more about it than you can probably learn in the rest of your lifetime; and accordingly i entirely agree with the framers reasoning and reject silly advice from overseas and in lefty precincts here.

I guess this tells me all I need to know about you. So many assumptions, so little thought and consideration.

edit on 29/11/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Its interesting to note that public mass shootings have risen along with gun regulation. I'm not saying there is any causation, but more strict regulation hasn't done much to slow it down.

Gun control is much higher in Mexico than the US, yet the homicide rate is far higher. The issue isn't about control.

Though it may be easy for a mass shooter to get a gun, it isn't the ease through which he can get guns that is causing his public outbursts of mass violence. Most, if not all mass shooters, and mass murderers in general, have mental health issues.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

I guess this tells me all I need to know about you. So many assumptions, so little thought and consideration.

you presume that your ideas are so off the planet that we have not heard them before? You are not the first and will not be the last to offer counsel without knowledge. The issue is not with the weapons; it is with our morality, ethics, compassion, empathy, maturity and spirituality. In that most of these have been weakened or rendered extinct in our society so that self regulation (or as Christ put it: circumcision of the heart) does not occur. Our founders said a system of government such as ours will only work for a moral people. We are now proving them right.
edit on 29-11-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Do you have a source for that? I'm interested in looking at the data. Are there any other possible causations, like rising racial, political, or religious tensions..?

Mexico has a drug cartel problem with an extremely corrupt legal system.

In the case of your regular run-of-the-mill mass shooter the ease of access is most CERTAINLY a problem.
Is it the root cause? Not necessarily. It certainly exacerbates the issue by a significant amount.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Without the 2nd...the 4th means zero. Without the 2nd all the rest mean zero. a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: HighFive

No I'm not trying to arm criminals.. Read ALL of my posts.

Criminals already know how to obtain weapons.
But it's surprising how many gun enthusiasts don't understand the holes in the background check system.

84% of gun owners and 74% of NRA members support universal background checks. I assume if your a paying member of NRA then you are an informed gun owner. Yet not one person in this thread agrees?

politifact

Its really hard to understand what you are talking about.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join