It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark matter slows down light?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I am trying to understand how science can estimate the age of stars
They claim they can't
Until 1979 when they started to use gyrochronology

But is this still accurate
They claim 90% accuracy

But I had a thought and it did hurt
I have heard about dark mater
And how it bends light
Is it possible that it also slows down light
Making any accurate measurement for reading the age of stars impossible

Maybe we aren't miles apart after all
But are much closer
Because the dark mater makes them appear further away
And the age of the universe is much younger

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: piney
I am trying to understand how science can estimate the age of stars
They claim they can't
Until 1979 when they started to use gyrochronology

But is this still accurate
They claim 90% accuracy

But I had a thought and it did hurt
And how it bends light

But are much closer
And the age of the universe is much younger

Dark matter has been introduced to explain the rotation curves of galaxies. Its density varies with the distance from galactic center. If there was redshift due to dark matter, we would see it when looking at a galaxy.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: piney
And how it bends light
Light always travels at the speed of light in a vacuum. When it's not in a vacuum it can appear to travel more slowly, so yes it's possible something other than a vacuum can slow down light. Even Earth's atmosphere slows down light a little bit. However this doesn't make determining the age or distance of stars impossible. Once light leaves the medium that slowed it down and goes back into a vacuum it speeds back up to the speed of light in a vacuum, so it's only slowed down temporarily by cosmic patches of matter, not permanently.

But are much closer
What happens sometimes is the combination of dark matter and regular matter act as cosmic magnifying glasses, allowing us to see some distant objects we wouldn't be able to see otherwise, so in effect making distant objects appear closer, not further away. However we aren't easily fooled by this magnification effect because it doesn't alter the spectral redshift which helps us determine the distance.

Cosmic "magnifying glass" used to identify distant colliding galaxies

An international team of astronomers has used a range of telescopes including the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) to observe a pair of galaxies colliding at a time when the universe was just half its current age. The project made use of a gravitational magnifying glass created by the gravity of a galaxy between Earth and the subject, and required observations in both visible and infrared light.

edit on 20151128 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Dark matter/energy has been introduced to explain ___________(insert tentatively speculative conjecture here)

No one believes this Dark matter/energy scam anymore... It's just some made up BS that scientists can blame #%@! on, the current hypothesis is that it causes Global Warming.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AttitudeProblem

At no point can dark matter or energy account for global warming/cooling, and no one of either significant education or for that matter anyone who has performed a perfunctory research of related matters, would ever attest otherwise.

I would also point out, that many people, not too terribly long ago, believed the Earth to be flat, that the Sun revolved around the Earth, and a little before that time people believed that the stars in the sky were avatars of gods. All of these people treated any alternative explanation to the one they favoured as hooey, nonsense, the deepest and most profound of poppycock.

And yet, here we sit on a planet which is in fact an oblate spheroid, under a Sun around which our planet revolves, and which is ,in fact, only one of countless billions in this galaxy, which itself is merely one amongst a teeming plethora of galaxies in the known universe. Dark matter and energy theory accounts for several inconsistencies in our understanding of the mechanisms which drive the dance of the cosmos, which shape the majestic diamond crusted heavens, which dictate the movement of galaxies and the expansion of the universe around us. Until, or unless better theories come about, to fill in the gaps in our understanding, it is not sensible to throw out any theory which seeks to explain these things, because without these theories, even erroneous ones, it is far more difficult to even frame the next big questions of particle physics and astrophysics, leave alone answer them.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
my guess is that Dark Matter accumulates around Galaxies because the Galaxies are like eddies in a stream/river of water where debris naturally collects...

the increased Gravitation (an envelope or membrane of extra Gravity around a normal Galaxy) only supposes there is Invisible stuff there.... I suggest that Gravity just gets pushed around Galaxies because the EM Continuum wants to keep the inter-Galactic Space free from garbage and clutter which 'Gravity' just IS...

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I quite like this explanation .

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

And how it bends light

Dark matter and energy is just one of the many adjustments to keep the standard model alive so it might not even exist....

22% dark exotic particles and 74% dark energy with the remaining 4% being the atoms in the ordinary material
link

Personally I think the universe is much older than todays estimates (13 billion years) suggest. If the Big Bang is wrong and the universe isn't expanding then everything will need be re-examined. The quasar conundrum proves that we don't even understand red shift. So stars might live far longer than we assume today.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I love this and understood it. Thank you!

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Let me explain this in simple logical terms. I don't have a physics degree but you don't need one to understand analogies and simple principals of logic based on known science and counter paradox theory. Dark matter slows down light Yes to the gradual speeds that it maxes out at. And it's the intense magnetic pull that warps light. Magnetism bends light. Its the rings surrounding a vortex of intense compressing matter that generate a constant suction of density. Matter, both physically charged and depleted funnel towards the center of every vortex.

When the magnetic force is extremely powerful it generates a Halo. Clouds of dust sit along this halo. Within these magnetic rings sits a multitude of clouds which form into stars. Its the presence of super charged matter flying across the universe and pooling in localized zones that produce a black hole. A Galaxy cannot exist without this process. Similarly, Physical matter and the energy stored within it cannot exist without this process as well. Think of physical matter as a battery but also acting like an engine. Atoms themselves are made of fragments of energy rich shards. I use the word shards because their shape varies, as well as their size and the most potent forces excreting from them. Sub- atomic particles oscillate in orbits generating circumference.

It just keeps scaling down from neutrons to protons to electrons. However even these objects themselves are shards of smaller matter orbiting. It's the orbiting fragments of super charged shards that generate a much wider field and since they are orbiting so fast it creates an object bigger than it actually is. Many forms of magnetism are reflections of combining capacity. Magnetic force diminishes as more objects are added. Similarly, This magnetic force is a combination of the weak force the strong force and the neutral force, These are the same forces excreted from protons electrons and neutrons. But all these objects being a collective of even smaller objects allows inconsistencies in energy storage. Not all electrons or protons or neutrons will contain the same conserved energy. Since entropy is constantly draining potential. These smaller fragments can break away and rejoin another collection of fragments with the strongest attraction. The levels of conserved energy directly reflect which magnetic waves harmonizes the best to generate a physical object from wave density. All matter is waves interacting in harmonic nature with the mechanic leaking of wave force in conjunction with surrounding matter. All matter has attractive and repulsive qualities yes, but the attractive qualities vary in strengths from the repulsive qualities.

Galaxies themselves are pools of physical matter. And so that physical matter itself will have varying capacities for attraction and repulsion. A vortex such as a black hole may hold everything together yes, But it is these varying wave lengths and energy capacities that allow the formation along magnetic rings. If the force generated and excreted in waves is non-harmonizing to one magnetic ring it may move along to another, or until it finds the balance between attractive or repulsion to other matter. Since all mass has these qualities, and with diminishing returns from entropy. Matter collectively needs a source to generate energy otherwise energy could simply not exist.

This is where the theory of dark energy comes in. See since the vortex of a black hole is so strong. It combines matter in a compressed state that cannot oscillate. The presence of this action generates Dark matter. As Dark energy is being formed and is in its highest density. All atoms, all matter, is surrounded and encapsulated by dark energy even when not in the vortex of a black hole. It is a vortex because it spins in one direction and fans dust out in a ratio of PI the mathematical equation of the spiral. Dark energy is the generation of mixed compressed mass that cannot leak energy and lacks the force to separate. In my theory, It is the inability of these slivers of varying levels of matter. Each individually exerting a different force that generate potential explosive energy.

Just as repulsion allows objects to levitate it too also forces its repulsing partner away. Try to imagine billion or trillions of these fragments, any number really. All acting as positive negative and neutral only they are all touching each other directly. Without the ability to realign, no energy can leak. Generating potential energy over a long period of time. Not being able to form into bonds because of this mixed compressed nature means that it cannot form with physical matter. Therefore it seems like it is invisible to us and non existent because no chemical or elemental action can occur. Keep in mind this is all theory. Anyways the speed of light itself remains at a constant because the universe is always filled with an even amount of dark energy. So all the empty space is just dark energy. And moving velocity, such as an electron and proton moving across space and time creates drag resistance similar to a car speeding down the highway. The incoming air from the atmosphere will push force back on the moving car because the car has to push it away. This is true for electrons or any particle moving through space because it must push dark energy away in order to move. As speed increases so does drag, until to a point where momentum is negated by the force That is where the speed of light remains at a constant. However, light can be slowed down by increasing the drag behind that of dark energy and using the force generated by leaking physical matters waves.

So Dark matter itself does not directly bend the lights around galaxies but it is the presence of everything occurring in such a place that does. It is the magnetic ring from the pulling matter being sucked into the black hole. But as explained dark matter is just the presence of higher density of dark energy only existing in black holes or the formation of black holes. This is just my theory though. But all energy comes from being compressed. And it takes significantly longer to generate potential energy than it does to expel it. I base this conclusion on the fact that there is more empty space than physical matter. Therefore it must take longer to recover. Also without dark energy, matter wouldn't have a maximum speed. Velocity would increase to the point of destabilization. Or orbits of oscillated matter would increase to the point where the individual particles velocity would reach a speed where the force generated by velocity would be higher than the force of attraction and repulsion to matter. And so nothing would exist in the universe. No galaxies, Because in true zero fiction momentum does not slow down and scale infinitely.

Light travels faster though when outside of galaxies. So it is possible objects are closer because the light is traveling faster. Light only slows down once it reaches a galaxy.
edit on pm110000003015Sat, 28 Nov 2015 20:15:17 -0600 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
If dark matter altered the speed of light and wasn't distributed with total uniformity, then it would cause reflections and refractions that would be visible with telescopes. So, unlikely.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
dark matter permeates all space and gives mass to matter, but it can't slow down light as it resides in the time domain.
a reply to: piney

top topics

join