It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soy and Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I was doing a bit of research on lecithin as a friend of mine decided to include it as part of their health regimen. I already informed them that if they are prone to depression (which I don�t think they are but just mentioned it just in case) taking lecithin could make it worse (this info came from a herbal manual at a drugstore). By chance I also discovered more bad news about soy. I already find soy disgusting as a food product so this news doesn�t surprise me.

SOY AND BLADDER CANCER: Soy proponents like to point to low rates of beast cancer in Asian countries as proof that consumption of soy can protect against cancer. They fail to mention that Asians have high rates of other types of cancer compared to westerners. A new study conducted in Singapore found that consumption of soyfood was associated with higher rates of bladder cancer, and the relationship was statistically significant. Similar results were obtained for soy protein and soy isoflavones. The soy-cancer relationship became stronger when the analysis was restricted to subjects with longer duration of follow-up (Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2002 Dec;11(12):1674-7).

www.westonaprice.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Soy tastes horrible
now if we find that tofu causes somethin I can go rub it in those hippieses faces

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The problem is not with soy itself: Asians (mainly Chinese) have consumed it for centuries without ill effects. The true problem lies in the way soy proteins are extracted: hexane is used to extract proteins from plant matter. Hexane is an unsaturated hydrocarbon compound, less toxic than benzene, but still associated with various types of cancer (mainly liver and bladder). Cyclohexane, another popular solvent, is also associated with cancer and is reckoned to be even more dangerous. While food industry claims that ALL of the solvent is eliminated, this is impossible, even with advanced tecniques. Occasional exposure is harmless: your body is perfectly capable of handling the occasional trace quantity. Prolonged exposure is another matter completely: if you consume lot of soy protein daily, your body won't be able to flush it out completely and the carcinogenic will start to accumulate in your body. That's why soy proteins are not recommended as daily food in the long run and nutritionists advise strict vegetarians to vary their protein intake considerably, substituting beans to soy as often as possible. Healthier and tastier!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Soy, soybeans, tofu, beans (except green beans) ......

top topics

join