It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Managed To Get My Money...Again...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
To preface this, I am a very light gamer. I have an Xbox 360 (I'll get to that) a Wii (original) and a 3DS. Lately I've been using just the 3DS and the 360 (the 3DS mainly for Smash Brothers, because...Smash Brothers). The games I play on the 360 are fairly lightly advertised games, I think the one I played that was most popular is GTA V, second maybe by pfff...Dragonball Xenoverse or Ace Combat AH. One of those two. (I somehow have one of the copies of Tales of Vespira too, don't ask me how I managed to find one of them.)

Anyway, my 360 finally petered out on me a few nights ago, thinking it's been about 10 days now. The unit would start, but when it would load the dashboard, it'd just hang on the load screen. No buttons worked, and it didn't even really want to turn off. I had tried resetting it by pulling the plug, doing a fresh update on it - nothing. Note that it was only a 4 GB unit, so there was no hard drive to remove that I had access to. Alas, I think the 360 is toast. So Microsoft support informs me that gave saves are associated with an account - not with the HDD (which I'm still not 100% sure I believe - anyone have thoughts on that?) so I decided I'd entertain the thought of getting an Xbox One when prices were fair.

Enter Microsoft Store's Black Friday weekend special. I landed an Xbox One 500 GB bundle with Gears of War (all of them), the new Assassin's Creed and a credit for a free game in addition to that. I'm debating on rebuying the One version of GTA V - but does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I don't really game much and I tend to veer away from first person games - not sure why, just never really warmed up to them.

Any other must haves I should look at with this console? (If anyone says get the Kinnect, I will shame you.
)

Give me directions ATS nerds!

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Shugo
Get Fallout 4

It's got V.A.T.S. for consoles peasants who can't FPS

edit on 27-11-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Get Fallout 4

Fallout sucks though, top down games are boring.

when my 486 can play a real game, I'll be happy.. maybe in 2019.

wait, what?

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I have to agree with Lysergic...

Fallout 4 is a must, I have it on PC and its consumed my spare time.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul

Top down?

I wish, FO hasn't been isometric since tactics.

Maybe you can play some Wasteland on yer 486 and get yer fix.

edit on 27-11-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Everyone who buys an Xbox One.... should look at the cost to build a gaming PC. Because for than around $150 more than you'd pay on some junk console, you'd have a medium end PC that is 1000X more capable than any console.

PC will forevermore be greater than consoles.

Be jealous. Join the PC master race.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I've been watching playthroughs on Fallout 4 a bit, seems interesting enough. A lot of my friends seem to be getting involved with it, so I might have to look and see what it's about. I've got time before I'll get that code though, other suggestions?

(As for PC gaming, I refuse. I work on a PC, I study on a PC, I have a PC...I do not want another, and don't want to be on a PC more than I already am. lol)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Should have bought a PS4 for a better price and bargain.

Xbox 1 is the weakest console on the market (excluding the WiiU).

Also since you are a light gamer, don't buy Fallout 4.

You could have bought Rocket League if you bought a PS4. Rocket League is one of the best games ever!!!!!
edit on 27-11-2015 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

DOOM 4 in 2016.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

It was hard to turn down the 500 GB Xbox One with Assassin's Creed, Gears of War (which I may play...dunno) and an extra game for $299. I also have a personal bias against Sony products.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I agree with Lysergic and muSSang, Fallout 4 is amazing. But then I'm a gamer who greatly prefers a first-person experience to any top down, three-quarters, or over-the-shoulder view (to the point that I just can't get into the Gears series at all, or games like Mass Effect). Imo, Bethesda's offerings are right at the tip top of the video game pile.

GTA5 was my first purchase on XBox One. The next-gen version is incredibly smooth and polished. But one of the main differences from last-gen versions is the ability to play the entire game in first-person perspective. Fantastic for me, but I imagine that's not really a selling point for yourself.

OK, here we go... Just Cause 3 is coming out in a few days. Third person view, and looks totally incredible. If you haven't seen any footage, check out some YouTube gameplay vids.

Also, if you haven't played it, I insist you pick up an XBone copy of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. It's great, my favorite of the series. (and on a side note, the AC franchise is getting stale, predictable and downright repetitive. Too many scavenger hunts, and the overarching conspiracy storyline has gotten bloated and near impossible to follow, even for an avid reader/participant of sites like ATS. AC:Black flag was so much fun, I'm of the opinion they should start a 'Pirate's Creed' series, and release AC titles much less often. Sorry for the tangent.)

Whatever purchase you choose, good luck to you, and happy gaming friend!
edit on 11272015 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

edit on 11272015 by M4nWithNoN4me because: Accidental post

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

Right on. I'm thinking that games that are available both on the One and 360 are not going to have backwards compatibility set up for them, which is why I thought about GTA.

I may check out Just Cause - you know..just cause...? Huh? Huh..?!

Also, you mentioned AC becoming stale (could totally see that), has Halo become the same? I haven't played since 3, so I'm not up to speed there.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Assassins creed Black Flag is an excellent pirate adventure.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Star Wars Battlefront has to be on the agenda. You can use 1st person view like your typical FPS or go 3rd person gears of war stylee and it's star wars

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMadTitan

Heard a lot about Star Wars too, and from what I saw of the game play it is absolutely beautiful looking. I never really got in to Star Wars though, but if all else - I would play it just for the graphics just about. Especially if I'm not locked into first person.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMadTitan
Star Wars Battlefront has to be on the agenda. You can use 1st person view like your typical FPS or go 3rd person gears of war stylee and it's star wars

Ohh wow Titan, I completely forgot about that- I've been playing Battlefront for the last week, and it plays just as well in 1st or 3rd person. Great point, check that one out for sure!

And that reminds me, Fallout is also playable in a Gears type 3rd person view. Though as someone else mentioned, a casual gamer might find themselves drowning in the unfathomable depths... It's only been out a couple weeks, but I get the feeling Fallout 4 goes just as deep as you can dive.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I'll take that into thought on Fallout. It looks cool, but I really just don't have an interest in investing that much into a game. It's not because I can't appreciate it, but more along the lines that I have other things that I like to do, so periodic sessions tend to be best. But those lazy days do come around from time to time, and that's when I really put the hours on.

I do appreciate the honesty on the involvement though. I have one friend in particular that's been trying to rope me into the gaming scene full-on, and it just doesn't strike me like it does with him. I think I hurt his feelings. lol

Cheers guys! (Keep 'em coming!)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

And you'll be tweaking it, downloading drivers, having conflicts between hardware components, and upgrading it again for half the price of a new console in 2 years when the next gen console is still 5 years away.

For a casual gamer who just wants to turn something on, plop down and play -- console is king.

I don't enjoy getting all technical with my gaming. Its a GAME, I want to spend my time playing it and enjoying it. I don't want to worry about vertex and dynamic lighting, why my frame rates are dropping, or why my sound card isn't working right.

To some, messing around with these things is so ordinary, they don't even remember that they're doing it. Its become so second nature that they're tweaking settings, downloading updates/patches and screwing around with their rig -- they forget that they're doing it constantly.

I went the gaming PC thing for a bit, and its like an addiction. You are constantly chasing the dragon, drooling over the newest cards and hardware, looking at how high you can run the latest games. It becomes a ongoing thing, and eventually when you add it all up -- you've spent more money on all the PC stuff than a new console every 5 years.

This is why I have a PS4 and a Macbook Pro. My time is to valuable to be screwing around wondering if my cable management inside my case is optimal for my cooling fans or something.
edit on 27-11-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Perfectly said.

As mentioned, I have one of these friends and it puzzles me how he can enjoy what he plays. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he does - but I don't understand it, and looking at what all goes into it - I don't want to understand it.

Far too many other things to do with my time. Got things to read, hikes to make, work to be done, etc.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join